Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creekw

Overgrown landscape

creekw
6 years ago
I believe that I have too much shrubbery in this space. It is looking overgrown. Do I just trim everything down or do some shrubs néed to be removed? Thanks!

Comments (15)

• mamadada
    6 years ago
    I love lorapetelum but not there. They will get too big and are too difficult to shape nicely. Do this in stages. Remove the two lorapetelums and what ever
    is right in front of the two large windows. If you take pics after that we can get a better idea of what to do next. I like annuals (low growing) right in front of large windows like those and at entrances.
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    That is all highly manageable with good pruning. It looks great. People I know who come in and pull out their shrubs have a long time and a lot of money recovering
  • mamadada
    6 years ago
    Yes you cam prune lorapetelum but why would you want them there in front of those beautiful columns? They are screaming for uplighting.
  • creekw
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I really like the lorapetelum, but I want it to stay spiked rather than hedgy. So are you saying that I can prune them and keep them airy and at a good height? Also, I will try to find pics of the lawn newly installed. Thanks.
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    I know what you are saying – I hate when people prune things that are supposed to be and much better looking shaped naturally, my hugest pet peeve is pruned forsythia. That being said, by cutting back alternating branches every other year you should be able to maintain a natural look at while suppressing growth. If not, they would look lovely together somewhere else I'm sure. I will you talking about Just those two? I thought you meant the whole plan. All of these bushes should respond well to pruning
  • emmarene9
    6 years ago

The house would look much better if the columns were visible.

• creekw
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    greenish 1234, I do have in mind the entire frontage. Thanks for your helpful comments.
  • mamadada
    6 years ago
    Sorry. I was the one harping on removing the lorepetulum first. One time I redid a large bes and took out most of before I realized it was really only a couple of things that needed to come out. What is that ornamental tree to the left? It looks like something you may want to build around.
  • creekw
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    mamadada your comments are appreciated! is that the tree in front of the window? it is a Japanese ornamental maple I think.
  • creekw
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Actually, after reading your comments I paid attention to the homes with my elevation in the neighborhood. You are right. The columns need to be exposed. Thanks for that. I need low maintenance and a nice cleanlook. These are mainly builder installations that looked fine when the house was new, but now this----.
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Those are expensive plantings- find a friend to give them to if you decide to remove. I'm not sure there is much that is lower maintenance than slow-growing boxwoods. Just don't get any of those awful snake trees!
  • creekw
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Haha on the snake trees! I do not prefer them as well. If I move the plant it will be someplace else where they can grow to their heart's content.
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    I think exposing the pillars is a good call.
  • creekw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I finally got the Lorapetelum removed and it feels like a load lifted! The house looks so much better. It was expensive to have them taken out, but I just could not commit to pruning. I need low maintenance at this time due to age and traveling.

So what would you suggest next?