Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9459064

Do my kitchen chairs, stools, & kitchen desk chair have to coordinate?

User
6 years ago
I need guidance. My dining room is right off the kitchen and we have black chairs in there with a dark brown table (see pic). Then there is a round kitchen table with 4 chairs currently (I'm open to getting new chairs there if needed). The kitchen island has counter stools on order (dark brown wood legs with an off-white linen fabric upholstery and no backs to them, so they push almost totally under the counter). I need a desk chair. How coordinated should these be? Does anything jump out at you from the pics? Thanks so much!!

Comments (29)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

No they don't have to match, but finishes need to coordinate and there's way too much going on in this kitchen.

You have pine cabinets, gray island, gray granite counters, a brick-like floor with pink undertones that is creating a problem in the kitchen. The chairs are too large for your round table & the shade over the table is too small and mounted too high.

The pinkish floor doesn't work with the pine cabinets or golden tone kitchen chairs. I enlarged and lowered your ceiling fixture in this image.

Dining room light fixture is also undersized for the room.

• schnable1
    6 years ago
    Find scaled down black chairs for the kitchen table.

I would get a different style of light fixtures for both the kitchen and dining room. Besides being too small, the style in each room does not work with the rest of decor.

Not asked, but here I go, what is the story around the backsplash in the kitchen? It looks half done. Are you adding more tile, granite, whatever? are you going to paint the wall? This contributes to the too much going on look you have. No wonder you are finding table and chairs question so difficult--too many distractions.
  • schnable1
    6 years ago
    Also, when placing chairs around the round table set them so a person's feet do not rest on table leg. Set the chairs between the legs. What you have now cannot be comfortable.
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We moved in maybe a month ago and I've tried to tone things down in here but it's been a challenge. I can't afford to redo all the cabinets. The backsplash is what the previous owner had. I was thinking of taking down the granite backsplash and doing some type of subway tile. But even that,I'm afraid will contribute to the lack of cohesion.
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I also can't re-do the floors because they are also in the hall bathroom and foyer. Would you have the pine cabinets painted white possibly? I just purchased both light fixtures and I guess I messed that up lol. I'm afraid of large light fixtures but I guess I need to consider what do do about those now. They could possibly be moved to other locations in the house.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I really don't see any problems with the two colors of cabinets. They work together. It's the floor that's the problem. Nothing you do to the cabinets will fix the floor. There's no sense to working around a wrong selection.

If you paint perfectly good cabinets, the value of the cabinets will go down. If you change the floor, the value of the home will go up.

Maybe paint your floors as a temp solution.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/property-facility-managers/education/styles-and-techniques/sw-article-pro-resuscitateold

Could be a white washed appearance so that any wearing will look natural.

Remember to add the dimensions of two fo the walls of your room to determine a logical diameter for a fixture. If the dining room is 12 x 15 then 27" is a reasonable diameter for a fixture. A rectangular fixture could work as well.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would be very fearful of painting the floor.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

There are tons of articles about doing it correctly. Read them.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Leave the floor for now....I would change out your dining chairs to upholstered that matches the look of your new counter stools...put your black dining chairs with your kitchen table....done!

agree lower your kitchen table light..

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think some of you are being overly blunt and quite frankly a little hurtful. I'm not going to just "Read them." about some articles that I'm not even interested in. I would paint the cabinets white or light grey or something before painting the floor. Anyhoo, I've tried the black dining chairs in the kitchen but they are very high. I will probably find some dark/black lower height chairs for the kitchen table. I guess lowering the kitchen light would be good. I may switch the dining room light to something bigger. thanks for the advice.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I dont think you messed up your home is very charming...I think the height of the black chairs are fine with the kitchen table..especially once your stools are in there..to add more height....and if you lower your kitchen table light the gap between and top of black chairs will visually look better....I think your kitchen is super cute:) I really like your kitchen table light very nice....here are some very budget friendly chairs set of two for $170....would look very pretty in formal dining area.

• Trem Wills
    6 years ago
    I like the kitchen light, it looks like the right size to me... what about painting the island a lighter colour to tie in with the light fixture and the light bits in your granite? Try it in one of those online paint programs to see how you like it. I think Sherwin Williams has one.
  • PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

The less coordination the better. If you buy expensive furniture nothing has to match. The conversation always moves toward individual pieces and never toward the collection as a whole, unless you have a priceless furniture collection

• rcarterworld
    6 years ago
    I've gotten a lot of feedback and sometimes I didnt agree and then later I may think...you know what, they are probably right. But you can't be sensitive in this environment because you will get a lot of opinions -- good ones at that.

My opinion is that everything doesn't have to be matchy matchy. I am in agreement that the floor is what is making this hard. I understand about just moving in and budget restraints). I would say keep everything neutral until you can afford to fix the flooring. Good luck!
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We just installed 18K worth of wool carpeting and we need to redo two showers as well as almost every downstairs room being in need of major pieces of furniture- I'm not remodeling the kitchen right now. I thought that mentioning I wasn't going to redo the brick floors would suffice but whatever. I think making everything look cookie cutter and just like every other home is boring, but that's just my opinion. I am thankful for the advice though! I def. take the criticisms into consideration. I personally would try not to be overly blunt about someone's home.

• rcarterworld
    6 years ago

I understand. I definitely wouldn't have been offended by any of the remarks that I have read above -- but, everyone interprets things differently. My personal thoughts are that they are trying to keep you spending money on items that still may not yield the results that you desire...because of the floor. I've been there. However, my hope is that it will all work out over time how you want. :-)

• ilesliemy
    6 years ago
    I like your kitchen and the cabinets are nice looking. The ceiling lights you chose are what I see in the stores now. I mostly think they are just too high. Don’t do subway tile with the existing backsplash. I think what is there is fine. What is really awful to my eye is the color of the brick. Have you thought of having one of those companies come in that spray garage floors? That way the brick would still have definition to it but be a more cohesive color.
  • gm_tx
    6 years ago

Congrats on your new home! It's beautiful.

Agree that lowering the light above the kitchen table would really help things. And although I love the chairs at that table, I think they're too disparate with everything else going on in that room. I do like the idea above for the round sisal rug... then just top it with some smaller scale chairs with a very dark wood or black finish, with light upholstered seats, similar to your stools.

If you're purchasing new chairs for that table anyway, maybe place a matching one at the desk area.

Good luck!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have a call in to the place where I purchased the light, to get some links to add to the top in order to lower it. I'm also going to buy a larger chandelier for over the dining table (one that is closer in style to the kitchen fixture). I love the pic that someone above posted (the last pic here) and I'm wondering if I should just start over regarding the kitchen table and chairs. I like the lighter wood table and upholstered chairs. Also a few more pics of current kitchen with the black dining chairs. I feel like they're too high....Backsplash fixing is on my list now too :)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Those black chairs look beautiful with your wood table! Once your light is lowered it will look perfectly proportioned...I have a very similar look in my kitchen eating area...wood table with tall black chairs..everyone that comes over tells me how much they love the combination of them....since this photo my light was lowered to 32” above table top...had to order another rod.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I love your light over the kitchen table is it from William Sanoma Home? I know they have drum shades with the same chain design very sharp!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I also have upholstered counter stools....

• brbdwy
    6 years ago
    I really love The cabinets and counters& backsplash. The floor is the big ugly! Until you can afford to change it to match the dining room cover it up with a large neutral natural fiber area rug.
    They are very reasonably priced and dirt forgiving until a later flooring update. Table & chairs in kitchen are classic and should stay. If you want to update , maybe paint chairs your favorite color..
  • gm_tx
    6 years ago

I agree that the black dining chairs are not working. A bit tall, and the tall straight backs feel a bit formal for the kitchen.

I like the style of chairs in the pic above from HIwE ... or maybe a black chair with a rush or cane seat. Seems that style would go with your pine cabinets and brick floor.

• brbdwy
    6 years ago
    The recent photos of the whole kitchen with the black chairs looks great... You have a beautiful kitchen!
    User thanked brbdwy
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

To: Home Interiors with Ease...The light over the kitchen table is from Circa Lighting- Goodman Small Hanging Light. thanks again to everyone for help

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Your current table is so great that I wonder what the original wood looks like without the dark finish. If you could get that stripped to the original wood and put a clear finish, add new upholstered chairs, and a rug and I think the space would look really close to the inspiration pic.

• Julie Van
    5 years ago

Look into Romabio thru home depot. Lime wash for the brick floor. Super easy and no prep work. Wet brick, paint on and your done. And inexpensive. And you can have tinted any color.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional