Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrajhall

I really need advice on this mantle. What would you 'see' here?

Debra Hall
6 years ago

I have tried:

Tall rectangular mirror....it just faded away into the back ground.

I tried a small colorful 24" x 24" pic. It was not the right size/proportion.

I want to tried a round mirror....33" diameter. It's made from porcupine quills (very cool.)

What can you see in this odd space? Thank you my friends.

odd space? Thanks my friend.

Comments (38)

• Debra Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Please take a quick moment and type your advice. Thank you!

• erinsean
    6 years ago

I usually think less is best....I would put just the two tall candle holders on each side and nothing more. Another thing could be to put a plant on the left side and the two candle holders together on the other side.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Yes...I agree with erinsean. Probably just the two candle holders on each side.

• Debra Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That just seems so blotchy me not sure if I can look at an empty-ish mantle. Most people have things in the middle like Big picture small picture long picture. I just feel like I need something up there cause it's so blah.
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

There's no getting around that odd column in the middle, so I would work with it. Find 3 small mirrors or 3 small framed prints and stack them vertically on that flat part of the column in the middle. And instead of doing a symmetrical display on the mantle, group both candles on one side and get a few smaller objects for the other side. Try to find some glass or metallic finishes to give the space a little sparkle. Think, too, about putting some nice baskets for firewood on the hearth to give it more texture.

• chickadee70
    6 years ago

Would you have enough light into the room without those two windows above the mantle? I could picture them not there and the spaces walled up, exactly match the mantle's angles. Then hang great colorful artwork you love-done! Even with them, they are not view windows and are a distraction. Sometimes less is more. We can get stuck in a puzzle and think it's a design feature but it's really only bad design forcing it's will on you, don't be trapped!

• Debra Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Great idea about covering up the windows. I like it. They are weird little windows. But underneath them is this molding and I guess I would have to come off too it would probably rip the wall off with it? What do you know about taking out molding off and putting sheet rock in there where the windows are? I think it would be pretty easy to do....have someone sheet rock those windows so you can't see them and texture and paint but then the molding underneath them is going to look really super odd. What do you think about getting rid of that white molding under the existing windows is pretty much going to tear up the wall don't you think?

Do you think a good painter could take off all that thick molding and ever make it look normal there?
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    I might put a bigger piece on the center wall...wider than the actual wall section in the center for drama....

Since the light seems to shine from the back something with open work around the edges could be interesting...

With a fireplace like this with its own drama ...a big centerpiece and the candlesticks...may be enough..smaller pieces in more numbers may detract from that..

Perhaps something like this....
  • Debra Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, I want to have a big round mirror there either with cut out pieces like you sad because I like to have the drama of big pieces that are artsy.

I'm finding it difficult to find a piece it is not too big and it's not too small. I've been looking for hours. My favorite one is a porcupine quill mirror on sale at Neiman Marcus. But it might be too heavy looking for the wall I'm not sure. It would surely be dramatic. But I do think that you're probably correct it needs to have some cut out on it do you look a little bit more airy I just can't find the right size.
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Missed the comment on covering the windows...being against blocking natural on general principal...curtains or shades would be easier and cheaper ...if you really want to cover it up ..
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    I would put (live!) plants and nothing else, ESPECIALLY nothing symmetrical like the candles. Then, I would start getting bids to replace and re-do the whole thing as a flat wall, no windows. Not sure if you misunderstood the previous suggestion because of your question about window molding. You would wall off the alcoves completely, probably installing new mantle. Single large piece of art over the mantle, as with normal fireplaces.
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Asymmetry is your friend there, kurln!! Nice work.
  • DH
    6 years ago

I would only recommend a mirror if there are things worth having reflected in the mirror like a beautiful chandalier or a beautiful piece of art on another wall. If it's just reflecting an open doorway it's going to look like a black hole. I would recommend a more asymmetric arrangement. Try the 2 candlesticks (or do you have a pair that are a little simpler and at two different heights?) on one side and one of the geode pieces on the other side. Add a pretty fireplace screen, some fireplace tools, and/or a largish basket with some decorative birch logs to dress the hearth. Look around at local art shows and arts and craft fairs for some narrow tall art to go on the middle wall. A modern abstract art tile with colors that you love and are maybe already using in your space could work well.

• Debra Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Kurln....
    Can you send me a pic of how tall the metal feature is as it goes from your mantle up to the ceiling.? How far is it away from the ceiling, or down from the ceiling? I like your idea. These houses, the small ones, have a lot of weirdness to them. I wish they had made them more plain in terms of their wall angles.
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Your pic on my screen is distorted...so size and scale height are hard to judge...I think it could extend beyond the edge of the wall 4-5”...on each side....and height of the piece...could be maybe half the measurement of the height of that wall...
  • Debra Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Kulrn.....
    I think I spelt your Moniker wrong. Sorry about.

How far does your mantle piece go up toward the ceiling? How far up the wall does it go? I guess I'm thinking of the two different sizes that you sent me. I could use either size but I want to know which one you felt was best at your house? Did you go all the way up the wall to the ceiling or do you have like a foot betweenThe piece in the center and your ceiling?
  • Sandybean
    6 years ago
    What are the dementions of the space? Doing away with the window would be the best idea, but I'm sure very costly. You would have to redo the exterior of your home too. What did the long mirror you tried look like? Perhaps it just wasn't the correct mirror.
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Another option could be a metal sculpture ...airy ...artsy...and interesting...also I think when you get this right this could be the most interesting feature in your home...I love these interesting and unusual features..with out seeing the whole room this could be the most appealing spot of your home for a cozy seat grouping by the fire...there may be an option to put an accent color in this area to feature it even more rather than to disguise it
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Being you can’t see the back of anything you put there...I would add a tall mirror with another piece of art layered in front of it..like this...

• Debra Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sounds beautiful. I would love to see that. I hope you have a photo of it. That would be so great.
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Just thought of another easy way to make those little windows make a statement on their own...an organic runner over a spring held curtain rod...with a little sculpture ...that ties together with your centerpiece ....love the plant idea as well...in my pic with the ornate mirror is my favorite house plant ever...striking and elegant ...can go with out water for months...loves to be in the same pot and dirt forever and to top it off it cleans the air in your home for a healthier environment...
  • kulrn
    6 years ago

I could see a great full plant on one side, and do a group of 3 items on the other of varying heights. You can also look for metal wall sculptures for the middle. Tapestry maybe?

• btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Since your windows are fairly small....In your case the runner could roll out onto the mantle ....as a base for the candlesticks for example...my little sculpture was a gift from a friend and adds a personal touch...with the shaded window it would also be a perfect spot for an airy fern or two...
  • kulrn
    6 years ago

Here's a picture of the top. I just have it leaning.

You might be able to hang two or 3 wall plaques an inch apart. get a few different styles. Metal or wood maybe.

• Debra Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Those pieces look really nice. Do you know what website they came off of? And do you think I should use three small ones stacked up higher? I really like the design on the wood one you sent.
  • kulrn
    6 years ago

Pair of Mohena Wood Wall Mirrors with Bronze Leaf from Peru https://www.novica.com/p/pair-of-mohena-wood-wall-mirrors-with-bronze/276014/  $99

13.75x13.75each

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Instead of emphasizing that slender wall you should take eye away from it and add large mirror that will widen the area.

• kulrn
    6 years ago

Sorry, 1st link was the mirrors. I'll put the link to all wood wall decor https://www.novica.com/wall-decor/wood/

• Debra Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, I would really like to take the emphasis away from that skinny wall and do something wider....I guess I should just act like the skinny wall is not there and just put a couple of big pieces or one big piece of artwork up and then maybe nothing on the sides of it? I tried the big mirror but you just made it look empty. That's why I was thinking to maybe a circular mirror up and way wider than the skinny wall that's going now but I'm not totally sold on that idea.
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Yes I'm with HIWE-nothing on the column
  • Banjo Hughes
    6 years ago
    The candlesticks on the hearth, together on one side, and the geode with the hole in the center of the mantel. The other geode on the hearth in front of the candlesticks maybe. Right now the candlesticks are just highlighting the so called problem.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

You can layer art pieces you don’t have to do a mirror...black and white art is always a great choice....

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

You have really cool angles above the mantle, why not accent them with low profile fixtures. You will get a double bang for your buck because at night the two windows on either side of the fire place will look great from inside and out.

• Debra Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I like The layered art idea. And maybe movie the other pieces off or putting them on the floor or what we call the hearth?
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Oh yes simple is best with this mantle if you off set a smaller piece of art with the large one....you could possibly add one sculpture or vase to one side but you will have to play around with it...