Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyful_lady

Indoor automatic flushing dog toilet

joyful_lady
10 years ago
I know there has to be a way to design an indoor, automatic flush toilet for a dog. I am also convinced there is a market for it.

We have a small dog (Maltipoo) and when we are away for most of the day I have an area in the laundry room set up where we keep a piddle pad inside one of those plastic things dsigned to put under a washing machine to direct spills to a drain. It would be so much better if there was a way to build her a self-flushing toilet.

My neighbor has two tiny dogs and she says she had to get up and take them out at least twice every night--that is like an enfant that never grows up enough to sleep through the night.

I am thinking of something designed like the bottom of the wash machine spill holder but with some sort of flushing mechanism. At first I thought something that the dog had to step on when leaving the box would be best but now I think something that registers the dog leaving (like a light that when interrupted knows it is time to activate--sort of like the one on garage doors that stops them from closing or the ones built into security system that go off when interrupted.

Do we have any engineers around who can design this? I really want one for the new house we are designing.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Comments (28)

• Ed
    10 years ago
    Brenda, do you think cats can be trained to operate such a device ? :)
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    they don't need to ... they will use a litter box. not once in my life have I had to rush home to walk my cat ...
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    We have a dog flap so he can go outside ! I am sure that's more fun than staying in all the time too !!
    But if this isnt an option ( ie you live in an apartment) Maybe a shower tray could work with a urinal flushing system - but it seems a little excessive if you ask me !!
  • Kivi
    10 years ago
    If you can train your dog to activate the sensors... and use it... Kohler makes a toilet ( Numi ) that will open automatically, and flush and close the lid, and even play a nice song for your dog. You would need to build a little ramp for doggy to get to the right level, but that would be easy.

Numi will set you back about $6500.

Kohler Numi Bidet Toilet · More Info
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Brenda, yes, but if they could be trained this way, you would not need a litter box at all! :)
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Kivi, the Numi also comes with a touch-screen remote control. Have fun training the doggy to use it.
  • Kivi
    10 years ago
    It works without the touch screen too.... so no classes required for doggy on that aspect.
  • joyful_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We know a young man who has trained his cats to use the commode (although they do not flush). I don't see a dog using it, tho.
  • joyful_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    She is a little dog (6 lbs) and our new home is in a land where there are wolves, lions and tigers, Oh My (no tigers). So her going out on her own is not an option via a doggie door.

Also, for those who have even smaller dogs who are being woken in the middle of the night, like my neighbors, it is also not an option.

What is a full night of sleep worth? Compared to that I would not see it as excessive.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Well in that case I would be tempted to install a shower tray with a large waste, going into a composting bin or discuss how you can add to your toilet waste pipe with a professional ( as you don't want and of this going into normal water waste !) and either hose it down yourself with a shower head, as and when you are passing - or use a urinal flushing system - however this option may result in overly wet doggie paws.... Good luck with it ! There is a UK based chap on Houzz who does doggie showers who might be able to help you further !

http://houzz.com/pro/steve111
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Oh well it is possible!! Ask these people - failing that aren't there sensors in toilets that automatically flush every x minutes to ensure it is clean!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Hahahah ! Love that ASV ! But he didn't wash his paws after !!! Lol !!
  • PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    10 years ago
    You can design a 'dog shower' that can be used for liquid waste but not suitable for solid waste. Since it is in a laundry room, you should be able to tie it into the vent stack, supply and waste lines. Use a finished shower base or shower pan (kbrs.com) that can be tiled. Install a temp control valve and shower head at say 30". Use a hand held spray rather than shower head for easier cleaning. Tile the adjacent walls up to say 36". I am not sure how you can install a motion sensor that will activate, but consult with a plumber or plumbing supply house to see if anything can be configured for low profile motion. Maybe better off just to house it down on a daily basis. Be sure to call this 'dog shower' on building permit application. Good Luck
  • PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    10 years ago
    hose it down....
  • joyful_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    For ours, it will be new construction. I wonder if we could set it up as described but have it go into the same drainage as a commode so that both liquid and solid waste could go in it.

Love the video. I am not sure how to train a dog to do that and am pretty sure I would want the dog to have its own bowl. I was amazed at how careful the dog seemed to be about being careful with the aim.

Being able to hose down is not as good as flushing but better than piddle pads. I have to think about the wet doggie paws. Even with washing down it would be wet.

Thanks for all the ideas and the fun!
  • PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    10 years ago
    You need 4" solid waste line on its own run to the main waste stack for solid waste rather than 2 " for 'grey water'
    If you really want solid waste then I would defer to any appropriately sized toilet. Maybe look at custom crafting a cement based hole that could take a supply line, flush mechanism and waste line, but be careful with the design or it could get pretty gross.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    They have those 'stand up or squat' loos in oriental country's and parts of Europe - but not sure of the dimensions - a small dog may get flushed away ?!?!
  • Apimpnamed Chuckyy
    10 years ago
    My dog keeps trying to use the toilet because she always sees me doing it. Lol it would be great to have a toilet her size so she will stop pooping and peeing in front of mine!
  • mkmort
    10 years ago
    Looks like someone beat you to it http://www.catgenie.com/
  • simonmorrison
    10 years ago
    Know the problem well, lol. In fact last New Year I made a resolution that I was going to solve it - and I did. Well, I think I did. Others aren't quite so sure... Anyway, rather than make an indoor dog loo I put a dog flap in the wall of the utility room (where my dog sleeps) and created an outside dog loo all in white tiles - so smart - or... would be if my DIY skills were up to scratch. But bottom (pun intended) line is that this outdoor dog loo takes 30 seconds (sic) a day to flush to the sewer and is always hyper clean so no smell ever and even has an area for the dog to sunbathe... Have a look if you like www.dogtoilet.info
  • dogsoldier7
    8 years ago

Take a look at www.poochyloo.co.uk the flushing dog loo

• Holly Davis
    8 years ago

Contact Jeni Ellis Halliday at Halli-loo.com. Jeni has designed a flushing indoor/outdoor dog toilet that would be perfect for new construction or remodeling. It's pretty amazing!

• Jessica Harrison
    8 years ago

I actually think this is a good idea IF done correctly, so its not invasive to the aesthetics of its environment. I think it might be a good idea to make a toilet with a "companion" loo. Design a toilet with a split pipe that has a hole in the base so the companion can be attached with just a click. The desgn of the companion would have to be a few inches off the ground so that the bowl could fill with water to allow a flush. There would need to be an edge that was at least 6 inches wide so the animal could get proper footing and some sort of splash guard. It would also need to have an opening that was inaccessible to the pets wanting to make it a water dish. Pricing is also gonna be an important factor so that's something to keep on mind when designing it. After all, it is just a place for your pooch to go poo which can be done for free (outside). Hmmmm, this is something that could be done. Check n see if you have any local engineers/inventors n if ud like a designer, hit me up . Theres a lot that goes into any invention n business startup so it might be a good idea to check our governments website. They have all the needed tools n advice for entrepreneurs.

• Christine Wood
    7 years ago

We have invented an Indoor Automatic Pet Flushing Toilet called The Pet Whizzard. We have applied for our patent on this invention. I do not have a prototype but I do have a proof of concept. This is a totally automatic system for your dog or cat and is very safe and efficient. This invention will hook up as any toilet does in your home.

We are looking to license this invention to a company for manufacturing. If you are a manufacturer who is interested in learning more please contact us at our email address: petwhizzard@yahoo.com Jay and Chris Bicknell

• keitenex
    7 years ago

How did you solve the problem? I am also very interested in a flushable
    indoor dog toilet. I found no info on the web about any of the 2
    inventions mentioned in this thread either so I guess they didn't
    materialise, which is a pity.

• jaylng
    6 years ago

I have a dog toilet direct to the toilet drainage...I just rinse them.. and pick after them.. but it's much easier than pads.I don't need to worry of anything.