Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Would you buy a house where a major crime occurred?

Emily H
6 years ago

We've been talking about whether or not people would buy a house that was purported to be haunted, and an interesting tangent came up. The conundrum of having been the scene of a crime.

Would you buy a house that had been the scene of a major crime?

Yes. No problem.
No way.
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (156)

• larjmarj
    6 years ago

Our neighbors were shot, stabbed numerous times--especially the woman. It was actually featured on a national 1 hour crime program. The process of finding the murderer further traumatized the neighborhood and kept being rekindled on TV. After two years the house was purchased by a family, despite it being called THE Murder House. Now, after two years, it's once again for sale. Will someone buy it? I wouldn't. Not after these horrific violent events and the public display for a year and a half.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

the friday real estate section of the wsj has a regular feature of houses that sold recently... last week had a house in the hamptons that sold for $8 million after being listed for $12 million; the owner had been murdered their several years ago. thats a good sized ding.

• 1bjs
    6 years ago

It would depend on the crime. If the house was used for drug processing or meth lab, then no because it will remain toxic and unsafe to live in. If a violent crime occurred, possibly but I would have some remodeling done to minimize any damage (such as blood soaking into wood, etc.) and have it blessed.

• doreenspader
    6 years ago

Years ago while house hunting my husband and I were touring a particular house when an overwhelming sense of fear and dread washed over me as we were going down the basement steps. I refused to go any further and told my husband to come back up the steps. He refused “It’s fine!” He says. We ended up purchasing a house on the next street. Later we had neighbors casually say, “Good thing you didn’t buy the aforementioned house as a murder/suicide took place there. “. Follow your gut feelings! There’s a lot to be said about “the feel” a home gives you!!!

• Charity Smith
    6 years ago

It would depend on if the neighborhood was crime ridden or if it was an exceptional event.

• PRO
    Alan Brookman
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It depends on the notoriety of the crime. Something too infamous could lead to tourists and curiosity seekers constantly knocking on your door.

• Anneke Boks
    6 years ago

we bought a house in Randwick new Aus and after we moved in the neighbors told us there had been a shoot out ,they escaped but after a police hunt they got killed on the Highway .we were pointed out the bullet holes in the widow frame so we got the builders in and ended up with a beautiful Bay window ,and lived very happy afterward Anneke Boks

• Anneke Boks
    6 years ago

that was N S W

• Laura A
    6 years ago
    Depends on the crime. Murder might be hard to resale. Murder because of drug deal, hit or illegal activity gone bad, only if criminal is in prison or criminal(s) knows that house has been sold. Meth or grow house absolutely not. Petty crimes don't bother me. At our previous house someone drove into the corner exterior wall and died and that didn't cause concern. (Sad for him and his family though). Haunted house depending on type of haunting. Could have house blessed or cleansed to be on safe side. It depends, depends, depends.
  • James Baran
    6 years ago

If the crime was high-profile, sometimes the address can be changed. This makes it easier to handle.

• Susan Schutz
    6 years ago

My first husband and I bought a colonial with a past that we didn't know about. We knew about the drug trafficking that went on at a local furniture store and that the Feds confiscated it. What we didn't know was that the home we bought had sit empty for over a year while the DEA searched it looking for contraband. The owners prior to us were only there for three months before moving out and heading west to a job that he couldn't refuse. After we moved in several neighbors stopped by to ask if we planned on staying very long since the two previous owners didn't. My ex is still in the house that we bought in 1992. I can't say that he's had great luck with it since it had odd electrical issues, leaks, a major sewer backup right after I moved out, and a couple more issues since then - the most recent a major leak from the upstairs bedroom that caused damage in the kitchen below as well.

• gilbert1958
    6 years ago
    there is a mythical saying, "where there is blood buy real estate" like anything else, with time things tend to be forgotten. if the issue, incident was that concerning tear it down re-bless the property and re build, or just gut modify the layout bless the house and make it a beautiful home.
  • clemenza2
    6 years ago

Jenn Codename: Danger.......your deliberations would START with asking if there were still a body onsite? You are my definition of a laid back person and I wish you lived next door to me!!!!

In the alternative.......I have bought, renovated and sold a couple of houses, knowing all the while that people had died (natural causes) in them. With older homes this would be a tough thing to avoid. One of those deaths had been my father, in his sleep. It was a peaceful death and anyway, my Dad would never haunt or hurt ANYONE. I was never asked if there had been deaths in these houses as I assume that, after a certain number of years, that would be a given.

What I did, though......and I would always do this, as it's very important to me.......was leave the houses in clean, top-notch order; we negotiated the sales pleasantly and with grace and fairness, leaving gifts and best wishes for the new owners. After I sold my parents house, we even received a gift card to a restaurant from the new owners. They were a recently married couple who were buying their first house, and we were so determined to make this a fun and happy occasion for them, and apparently they recognized that. And were grateful. So for me, no matter what has happened in the house, there is no reason NOT to pass it on along with high hopes and optimism. Some houses are just ready for fresh starts and growing families.

All that being said, no, I would never buy a house that had witnessed a murder or suicide. In a way, that feels like one more betrayal of the victim.......it would be hard to carry on as if nothing so heartbreaking had happened there. I'm not saying you can't rise above that unhappiness. But I admit, I would not be a good candidate to attempt it.

To all who are willing to take on that task -- good luck. And Happy New Year to all Houzz followers! Let's do our best to make this a really good one.

• Nicola Fazio
    6 years ago
    If the price was right and it wasn’t a high profile crime like OJ
  • zagster
    6 years ago

My parents died of natural causes seven years apart in my childhood home. I wasn't there when either died, but my sister told me where each body lay. The man who bought the house shot and killed himself in the house two years after purchasing. I don't ever want to step foot in there, and feel nothing but sadness when I drive by. There may not have been crimes committed, but there was so much tragedy within a short period of time. I admire the people living there now, they know the history, and wish them nothing but good times.

• Stacey Forgensi
    6 years ago

I live in one! Original owner was involved in a love triangle, strangled by a lover and then hung to appear as a suicide! House built in 1894 and this happened 40 years later. Many spirits are still active here, and nothing harmful!

• susan fredriksen
    6 years ago

When I 1st read the title, I thought the crime was something like the walls being painted all beige.... and yes, would buy it with lots of gallons of paint.

Now, for a police type crime, yes, I would purchase it. It is a structure and whatever happened there is what people did, not the walls, floor, etc... Loving people living in whatever structure, make it a loving house.

• PRO
    Mountain House Plans
    6 years ago

I agree with @susan Fredrickson . Most crimes in houses are related to design and construction.

• Kathy Metzler
    6 years ago

My home had a hideous rape that occurred not long before I bought it. I was completely unaware of it at the time of purchase. However whenever I walked down my hall way the hair on the back of my neck would stand up. I could not understand it as my house is mid century. One of my neighbors told me of what happened and then I understood. The negative energy caused my uneasiness. That was in 2001. I am happy to say that if one has enough positive energy it does wipe out the negative. I have not had any uneasiness in my home since about 2002. A year of positive loving vibe gets rid of negativity. I'm actually glad that I was unaware of the crime until about 6 months after we purchased it. That might have kept me from buying it and we have been very happy here in the house and the neighborhood.

• capeanner
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I own a home that I rent off season. Unfortunately, a short term tenant committed suicide in it just before my return last year. Wasn't at all sure how I would feel about moving back in, but as insurance covered my hotel stay while every inch of the home interior and garage was painted, flooring replaced, all surfaces washed, upholstered furniture and air ducts cleaned I couldn't find a reason not to stay in it. It was suggested I burn sage, etc, but I just went with my gut feeling and am happy to say I am perfectly comfortable here. It was originally my father's home which has far more meaning to me.

Over this past summer my horrendously obnoxious neighbors of 5 frustrating years left which has really transformed my experience of being in the house! They were the real curse. Also, several years ago a young guy was attempting to break into houses (including mine) in the middle of the night. Now THAT is something that really puts you on edge. Fortunately he was either caught or moved on.

• Melissa R
    6 years ago

I used to live in a neighborhood that had a house...you couldn't pay me to live there. About 10 years ago the only child of a couple that lived there committed suicide, 3 years later the wife of the residence died of cancer in the house. About a year later the husband killed himself in the house. New couple moves in and the 18 year old son died from a drug overdose in the house. It sat vacant a year or so and a new couple purchased it. Less than a year later they were divorced.

Too much bad juju in that house.

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

@clemenza

Most of the time when there's a death in a house the body is removed by the coroners office - unless it's part of a crime scene and they have to do that job before the coroner can do theirs. :P If everyone refused to live in a house where someone had died the housing situation would be a lot worse than it is now!

But yeah, I try to save myself the hassle whenever and wherever possible. I like being the laid back neighbor - the kind that will drive someone to the ER with their thumb in a baggie of ice - they have get get there somehow and preferably in a calm but expeditious manner. ;)

• Angela D
    6 years ago

Depends on how bad the area is. If there's a yucky feeling there, priesthood holders in my church can take care of that.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

haunted ok, crime way more iffy

• Mikki Bench
    6 years ago

It depends on the vibe I get from it. This poll said 'crime' but haunting might be from all sorts of reasons. What I would do is search through it and make sure there's no dolls or other things my kids might cling to and turn into possessed psycho killers.

With the exception of a mass suicide cult.. four killings in the same house is probably the limit. 1 might be accidental, 2 might be a trip down the stairs and bowling down a bystander type. Three was a crowd anyway , and four is yet to be justified.. oh right... a great price for square footage

6 years ago

So...

no axe murderers whose victims are buried in the basement - check

no creepy dolls (Annabelle anyone?) - check

no clumsy prior occupants whose number exceeds a total of 2 possibly 3 but only if the price/sqft ratio is insanely* good - check

*no insane previous occupants still living in the basement, attic, or nearby state mental hospitals with lax security measures and poor supervision allowing the psycho axe murderin’ machete wielding Jamie lee Curtis obsessed sorts to escape and kill all the prom attendees or everyone in proximity to the neighborhood where their family home still stands to this day.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

I have seen houses where its design was a major crime.

• kristinanadreau
    6 years ago

depends on the usual criteria..... neighborhood, etc plus the Feng Shui..... If it has mild bad vibes that could be managed by a practicioner, that would not be a problem.

When my husband and I began our relationship, he had a gorgeous hand carved Indonesian 4 poster bed, where I assumed there had been other women. So... I had a practicioner of Feng Shui come and "clean" the bed and bedroom, plus I bought a new mattress and bedding. He has been faithfull in our marriage.

• Louis Sinclair
    6 years ago
    If it was a one off crime in a basically crime free neighborhood and it’s where I want to live, I don’t see a problem. But if it’s a “red flag” for a troubled area certainly not.
  • nancymahar
    6 years ago

knowing home history is a given prior to a purchase, there are unexplainable forces (energies) often associated with such tragedy... why take the chance

• curvysharkbait
    6 years ago
    I don't have a problem living in a haunted or murder house. However, buying it is another issue.
    1) I'm more worried about the resale value so my decision would have to depend on the crime and the notoriety associated with it.
    2) What is the condition of the house at the time of sale? Was a body found in a decomposed state long after death? My concern would be around sanitation.
  • PRO
    Team DelColle
    6 years ago

I'm a realtor working in Philadelphia. Many times buyers ask me if someone has passed away in a house. (In Pennsylvania you don't need to disclose the past of a house.) I always tell people that the house they are looking at (if not new construction) are at least 80-150 years old so they can assume someone has died in the property. Eight years ago people used their front parlor to keep the dead in a coffin for "viewings". Meanwhile, I definitely feel when a house has been loved or if there are sadness and trouble in a property. I don't mean in the sense of the care/ maintenance of the property. You can feel if the people lived a happy, loving life with good memories.

• tldunken
    6 years ago

I knew a family with 5 kids who couldn’t afford a house big enough in our high priced area. They finally came across a house where had been a double murder a year prior. They got a terrific deal and the 5 boys keep any spirits at bay.

• clemenza2
    6 years ago

Jenn Codename:Danger -- if I ever slice off my thumb I'm calling you!!!!

• whynotdecorate
    6 years ago

Not if it was a murder. If it was some sort of heist...sure.

6 years ago

@clemenza2

depending on the distance between where I live and where you live, you might want a backup person or make peace with having only one thumb (after a certain length of time they can’t reattach those!)...in the meantime, try not to cut any body parts off, from what I understand it is really painful. ;)

At least you wouldn’t have to be giving directions or anything, that’s what smartphone gps mapping is for! (...recalculating...)

• Nina Baines
    6 years ago

Honestly I wouldn't

• none4u
    6 years ago
    It would depend on the crime. Minor, sure. Major, murder, homicide, NO.
  • clemenza2
    6 years ago

Jenn Codename: Danger........I’m in Jersey. And that ALONE should indicate to you that I am in need of rescue..........:)

• User
    6 years ago
    We lived in a house where a suicide had happened. Yes someone had died in it but remember, others had really lived in it. I would do it again.
    6 years ago

@clemenza2

I’m in Nebraska, moved here with the mister from SoCal this last August (my family has all relocated out here; first my brother, my parents followed when they retired, and now I’m here.)

So, some might say I too, need rescuing. What I need is for Nebraska to invest more in their roads and highway infrastructure so that not only are there fewer potholes taking out the 4-door Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi sedans which make it impossible to get anywhere in my small SUV that’s better equipped for inclement weather - but the highway situation can have better lighting and more signage... ;) seriously when we first got here I got turned around one night and found myself headed to western Nebraska by accident; of course it took forever to find an exit to turn back around and for so many many MANY miles it was nothing but the dark night sky and the occasional orangey yellow dim light poles. I was pissed that my ice cream had melted by the time I got back home. ;)

• clemenza2
    6 years ago

Well if I ever find myself in your neck of the woods, the sundaes are on me!

• V Belle
    6 years ago
    I would not buy a house that was the scene of a violent crime, but an at-home death of natural causes is nothing to be feared. As another reader noted, in historic houses of 80 or more years of age in fact it was very common. Me and my family were with my elderly father when he died of natural causes in his own bedroom in the family home his father had built, and I always felt like a feeling of peace was left in that home. But I have to say, I would not be comfortable in a home where I knew violence had occurred.
  • Imagene Freeman
    6 years ago

certain crimes.. but .. not a bloody crime or violent death.. no way.. those haints still there..

• Deborah Larsen
    6 years ago

We, my husband and I, purchased a home in the Nashville area that we later found out had a history of: 1) a shot-gun murder in the living room, 2) three foreclosures, 3) was haunted by a man and wife in civil war era clothing and 4) two divorces. One of the divorces was ours. The outside was beautiful and inviting, but I could never feel at home on the inside. Didn't put up pictures, never really moved in ... just felt wrong. And the kids wouldn't come at Halloween, it was 'the murder house'. Apparently in Tennessee, they only needed to disclose the murder to the first people who purchased it from the owners at the time of the incident.

I should have gone with my gut and not purchased it ...

• Kristen Roberts
    6 years ago

Honestly, if I didn't know those who were involved or all the grisly details (in the case of violent death,) I would probably go for it if I loved the place. The caveats about neighborhood crime trends, possible returns of criminals, so on would apply, of course...but one-off events? I probably wouldn't really worry about it.

Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, our house is next door to a cemetery...

• havingfun
    6 years ago

i have owned a haunted one or two. i would go by gut instinct.

• artsyphartsy_home_maker
    6 years ago

HELL. NO.

Bad Juju, Bad Karma, Bad Vibes, Bad Spirits. Just BAD.

• J Williams
    5 years ago

I wouldn't esp if there was the faintest possibility criminals would return to the site. For some dumb reason someone mentioned children died at my grandparents cottage right where we played, it definitely put a dark shadow over that place. We looked at a place where there was practically only a chest freezer with flies hovering over it, that was creepy enough to make me want to turn away and leave fast. There was another one with an antique TV in the attic with an outdoor TV antenna beside it (indoors) plus a myriad other creepy details (rat infested mattresses as an ex.), I think you could have filmed a horror movie there no problem.

• lostinreno
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

More than anything it would be the fact that I would probably think about that murder all the time if I purchased such house. ' That's the back door the murderer broke through, that's the very spot the victim was found in a pool of blood.. ' And so on, and so on, so no thank you!