Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckeye2181

Reconfiguring a small kitchen with a weird wall

Bridget Gowan
6 years ago

We have a random wall that makes it confusing on how to visua a new layout for a kitchen remodel

Comments (30)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

From that photo.......... we can't either. Draw the kitchen as is and put all walls, dimensions etc ON it. with more photos. I can't even tell what "random" wall you are talking about. It looks like a galley kitchen. The wall isn't "weird" the fridge jutting from it.....IS.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I agree 100 %

• Bridget Gowan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry here is the question I know we can remove the wall with the refrigerator and add an L shape island but then we are still stuck w this awkward wall. And if we remove it then the hole hose will just be completely open no sections at all. I'm no designer just don't have an idea of what to do with this wall and we don't have more then $45,000 to do this

• chickadee70
    6 years ago

Well, First thing is you'll need to find out what you can remove or not, is there any load bearing or mechanical systems in the walls there? Can't design without this knowledge first.

• Bridget Gowan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The wall with the refrigerator is not load bearing the wall with the wet bar and desk and pantry is load bearing but we do not mind some sort of beam but if we removed that wall as well would you completely turn around the layout and add an island vertically. In towards the dining room.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 years ago

Is it the pass through that you do not like?

Can you post a diagram?

• acm
    6 years ago

floor

plan

!!

• chickadee70
    6 years ago

Is that an air return vent in the ceiling above the desk?

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

I am finding it hard to get a picture of your home. Where exactly is the dining room - in relation to the kitchen?

So basically you do not want a completely open floor plan but if you remove the wall that the refrigerator is on, you are left with a weird wall? If you remove the weird wall - you have a completely open plan?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Sorry. You win the weird house award. Take the time to draw the ENTIRE mess, all walls to scale with dimensions. Actually, you may need an architect, and a very clear sense of exactly what you want to accomplish. Without a lot more info...... nobody here but a magician with a crystal ball could help. If the house has had no changes. dig up the original plans. They will show the entire first floor, all walls.

Bridget Gowan thanked JAN MOYER
  • Bridget Gowan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have met with three contractors already lol. I am still at a loss. They all had a different approach.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

That's ok to have different ideas, isn't it? Shouldn't each be able to explain the pros and cons of their plan? sort of thing... I guess the strong features, and weak spots.

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Why is there a kitchen cabinet stuck between 2 walls??? Is there a mirror above it or could you literally climb over it and be in a different room???

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

I see the other side of that cabinet is the pass through looking area...yea just rip that cabinet out and hey now you have a walk way lol what's on the other side a family room?

Bridget Gowan thanked Elizabeth B
  • Bridget Gowan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The living room/dining room. It's just an 80's home w a wet bar w the horrible opening.

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Well you could always close that opening in add that space to your closet and take down the fridge wall only

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Bridget,

Got a measuring tape? Draw the darn thing. The entire area, including all windows and doors. With the "horrible opening". With the dining room, front entrance...... closet, all of it. Or go dig up the floor plan and photo it and upload. Nobody can apply a band aid to a boo boo they can' t really SEE.: )

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

Girl, run and get that tape, draw and upload - while you have everyone's attention.

• brinnie
    6 years ago
    Dusted off the crystal ball....
    You have at least one small child, and an eating area in the kitchen with a 36-42 inch round table with chairs, possibly one with a booster seat, behind the couch. Access to your back yard, (which opens to a green space and is enclosed with a pressure treated fence), is only through the door(s) in your dining/ living area. You would like more direct access. The wet bar was originally the access doorway from the family room to dining room.
    The kitchen wall with your stove is approx. 10'6". You have 40" from the corner by the toaster oven to the kitchen window which is 48" wide, and probably 36-40" on the left side of the window., making the room 11+' wide. You're thinking of putting the fridge to the left of the window and creating an island in the centre...Maybe another opening into the dining room to give you backyard access, and creating traffic flow by having two doorways into the room. It has been suggested by one of the contractors that you enclose the wet bar, creating a solid wall in the dining room. That wall to the exterior wall is 13'. He also suggested that you move the present closet to the wet bar area, and by adding the desk to the existing closet you could have a walk in pantry.
    And your dogs name is Tinkerbelle, but you call her Tinkie. LOL
  • Bridget Gowan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Two small kids 2 and 9 months. Just moved to an amazing new area but expensive so house is smaller. We have two small dogs named buckeye and macho man and one is diabetic and 14 l. The kitchen table is round and a highchair and a booster seat. Pretty good. The backyard is amazing w a pool and private w lots of grass for kids to play. Reason why we bought this house and the location. Husband promised new kitchen but didn't realize how complicated it would be. I will take measurements but it's 5:40 here and been up w dog since 4:30 and now my baby. Thanks to all of you

• Bridget Gowan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

If you Zillow 204 Santiago, Danville ca 94526 it is the exact floor plan redone

• Bridget Gowan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

As a sold property

• brinnie
    6 years ago
    Hang in there....a solution will be found. Great sense of humour for what you're going through. :)
  • brinnie
    6 years ago
    Quick sketch of present and proposed island ....not sure if this is the direction you are going...
    OR were you thinking of making the "L" island where the fridge, doorway, closet and wet bar currently are, making a new door and eliminating the table and chairs in the kitchen? (Personally, round tables are nicer for conversation and lower and safer for the little ones. :)
    p.s. My apologies to Macho Man and Buckeye...obviously some leftovers dust on the crystal ball that I missed. :)
  • Bridget Gowan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think the first pic is where we are going. We were thinking of removing the kitchen table and putting in a bench and table built under the rounded window.

Love the farmhouse Joanna Gaines look.

• Bridget Gowan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

With two kids we wanted to make two living areas one for them and one for the adults so the separation wall isn't that bad of an idea. We could make it smaller yes and just drywall the opening

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

Okay, send your drawings when you can. You have your hands full at the moment.

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Yeah i like the idea of having that opening with the cabinet closed in and add it to the pantry/closet and just take down fridge wall. That will also be cheaper since fridge wall isnt load bearing and that other wall is. I got 2 younger kiddos 2 and 5 :-)

Bridget Gowan thanked Elizabeth B
  • chickadee70
    6 years ago

I think what looks like a mess now is just a very good opportunity, you have a lot of space in that "weird wall". I think you have a lot of options and I think that's rare when remodeling-take your time planning it out, it's going to be fabulous!

Bridget Gowan thanked chickadee70