Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish1957

How to choose window treatments for a window with air vents below center of window?

irish1957
10 years ago
I have a wall/floor air vent below the center of a double windows in my formal living room and dinning room. I would like pinch pleated sheers on and deco rod. How do I deal with the air vent. Moving it is not an option. Also, who makes a good deco rod that opens and closes without a problem? I thought kirsch made a good rod but my drapery person is not confident of the quality of this product lately .

Comments (12)

• Brenda
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    can you share a photo? I would not put full length sheers that are going to be left closed frequently on a wall with a wall vent.

can you do blinds inset in the windows that can be closed, with fixed drapery panels to the sides?
  • irish1957
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How about just shortening the sheer just in front of vent.
  • PRO
    eagledzines / Linda Mayo
    10 years ago
    I would shorten them the whole width to the sill.
  • irish1957
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was thinking of a brushed bass rod. The sheers would be open during the day and closed in the evening..
  • irish1957
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Should sheers be same color as wall or a shade or two lighter than wall?
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    10 years ago
    I say personal choice. There are great decorative sheers today in loads of colors/prints.

How big is this window? Do you need to have a traversing rod?
  • irish1957
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's a double window over al it is 73 x 80.
  • PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    9 years ago
    I would use window shades and full height drapery panels on each side...no sheers
  • Wendy Hamilton
    9 years ago
    I agree with Bev Anderson ID. You have so many options but sheers is not one of them. If you like a sheer look - how about sheer shadings at the Home Depot OR top down bottom up cordless cellular shades. With panels on the side - that would be beautiful. If you are budget minded, you could do a white faux wood with panels on the side
  • PRO
    Selectblinds
    9 years ago
    If you want to keep the sheers, I would have them shortened like Eagledzines suggested.

Another option that both Beverly Anderson Interior Design and Wendy Hamilton suggested would be window shades or blinds. Have you looked into sheer shades before? They’re light, flowy, and let in a lot of natural light and can provide more privacy than the sheers alone. I think they would be perfect for that window! Maybe something like this:
    @Home Collection 2" Linen Light Filtering Sheer · More Info
  • PRO
    Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
    9 years ago
    Formal living rooms look their best with floor length draperies. Is the vent on the floor out a bit from the molding? Or is it on the wall? Because if it is a floor mount and far enough out from the wall then maybe the sheers can go behind the vent. There is no problem also if you do the sheers just a little shorter than the height of the vent. No one will really notice that and you will be as close as possible to floor length. I don't have a problem with Kirsch rods, it has a lot to do with dressing down the drapery after installation and being sure the master carrier fits over the secondary carrier. Set pins tightly and move the master out a little.
    Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.