0

White pine floors for house flip. Thoughts?

Fenella Pearson Designs
October 29, 2017

I’ve added a second floor to a ranch with oak hardwood flooring. Would white pine work for second floor?

• Diane R
    Always best to continue the same flooring in a home. This is especially important for a flip I would walk away or offer a lot less to allow money to fix if I was going to purchase.
  • shirlpp

Buyers will know that you skimped on the second floor, so continue with the oak here too.

• Elizabeth B

I'm curious what does the the outside elevation look like with the addition?

• M V

Pine is a softwood and will show marks (indents) from high heels or furniture. Also, it has very little interesting grain, so it will not match the oak at all, nor will it stain the same as oak if you try to match it. Go with hardwood for the floors for a much longer lasting product - oak is always a good choice. But there are many other hardwoods you could consider if continuity isn't an issue. Look at maple and hickory for really lovey grain and durability as well. A reputable hardwood flooring store will be able to show you many choices in a range of prices.

Fenella Pearson Designs
    Thanks everyone. Your comments confirm my instincts. Though in the old days oak on the first floor and fir on the second was common.
  • hollybar

Depends on your market (& the house of course). Around here,I've continued the same woods only on the landings and carpeted the bedrooms. The one time I continued same wood throughout,I did not get any ROI for doing so.