Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hduns

Pot Fillers! Countertop vs wall mounted? Placement over burners?

Heather N
6 years ago

Lots of pot filler questions! (please, no comments about how they are an unnecessary expense or that we will have to dump the water out anyway. . .I use my current pot filler regularly, and also use it for things other than making pasta - such as quinoa or rice - where the water isn't dumped out after cooking)

1) Does anyone have a countertop-mounted pot filler (deck-mounted) instead of a wall-mounted one? Do you find that it is high enough to fill your pots?

2) Is there any reason why you can't just put a spray nozzle on the countertop next to the stove and just pull it out to fill a pot (similar to a spray nozzle that would sit on the back edge of a sink)? Or are there retractable hose pot fillers that are less conspicuous than ones with the big metal arms?

3) Are you supposed to put the pot filler over a specific burner - the highest BTU burner, the lowest BTU burner, or it doesn't matter? My current pot filler only reaches the back 2 burners on an 8 burner stove, but I just slide the pot over after I fill it, so I don't find that placement to be an issue.

Here is picture showing the layout of the BTUs on my burners. Thanks!

Comments (65)

• Hamma
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My 0.02 euros (yes, we've been asked not to make comments that pot fillers are unnecessary, I remember!). I won't be able to sleep well at night, knowing that there is practically nothing to catch water, if there's a leak (unlike a regular sink & faucet combo).

Heather N thanked Hamma
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

hduns, why is it useful to you? Do you make a lot of pasta, etc or sterilize a lot of baby bottles?

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Carolina kitchen - how are they passé? just looked at this Elle Decor article from 2017...6 out of 20 kitchens featured have pot fillers, and you can't see the cooktop in many of the pictures, so that number might be higher. I don't think anyone should be a slave to current decorating trends, but they are a pretty well-known design publication that features high-end, current homes.

I actually don't personally care for the look of them, but I do like the functionality and don't begrudge anyone that does like the look. And my kitchen will have an antiqued mirror backsplash, so the stainless steel pot filler should blend in with the background and be fairly inconspicuous.

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@carolina kitchen - as I said in the original post, I make rice and quinoa frequently. Quinoa more often on the stovetop. Use it also for soup, for steaming some items a little before browning, and a few other things other than pasta. I would say I don't use my current one daily, but I do use it regularly.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

I won't be able to sleep well at night, knowing that there is practically nothing to catch water, if there's a leak (unlike a regular sink & faucet combo).

I agree with your point, Hamma, there is no sink to catch the water should it start leaking, and that would be a concern for anyone. If the leak were to occur in the water line, as they can do (and has happened to me in a couple faucets) I'd advise a pot filler with two separate on and off valves - many have them. We will install a ball valve (shut off valve) on the supply line (can be located in a cabinet or behind a drawer) for quick shut off - just as one does for under the sink leaks. There are leak detector systems that work on wifi as well, though I'm not sure of their reliability. As mentioned previously, I've had the old fashioned sprayers in past years (not now) and those are not caught by a sink - none have ever leaked, gratefully.

Your '2 euros' brings up a valid point, and one we are aware may occur, yet we intend to install 2 sprayers and a pot filler, even so. We will also have a DW (considering 2), Refrigerator/freezer with ice maker, washer, water filter, toilets, and 2 hot water tanks, and these are all things that use water and can have leaks in the lines, and some of which have no form of catch basin.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

For brown rice it's more like...40? I have the Asian favorite--Zojirushi with a latching lid. They're the best!

I have the steamer insert, too.

• KD
    6 years ago

A pot filler is also an accessibility thing - I can't lift a full pot of water around the kitchen very well. A pot filler would be extremely helpful for all the times I make pasta, soup, rice, etc. As for emptying the pot - I don't pour off the water to strain my pasta, I put a strainer down in the pot before I add the pasta (like those pasta pot sets, but I happened to have parts that worked without buying a set) so I just have to lift that up and the water drains into the pot and I can dump the pasta wherever. Then I leave the water to cool so I can deal with the big heavy awkward thing when it is no longer piping hot.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago
    I am another one who loves a pot filler. My assumption is that those who think they’re a fad or useless either don’t cook that much, have never actually had one, or have a limited cooking repertoire. Pot fillers are extremely helpful to have in the kitchen and are useful for more than just filling pots folks. It’s kind of cute that people hear “pot filler” and limit them to just that one function.

A pot filler would be much more useful compared to a sprayer since you would have to hold the sprayer for the entire time it takes to fill up the pot. That would be a pain.
  • Snaggy
    6 years ago

Brown rice takes 20 mins on the stove !

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

nidnay, I'll second that a pot filler would be better than a sprayer. Having used sprayers in the past, they tend to splatter droplets everywhere when trying to fill pans, unless one is willing to hold it open gently forever and fill super slow - I find the best use of any sprayer is inside a sink. We'll use ours only for washing up.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Not to be disrespectful, but I don't see why someone would go through the trouble and expense when they can stick a pan in the sink and fill it up. Am I missing something?

I would never tell a client that, or advocate one position or the other, this is just my thinking.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Not to be disrespectful either, but if you will read some of the above comments, you'll read reasons with validity why some (not all, clearly) who already have them, find them very useful - far more then filling a pan in a sink, and would prefer not to be without one. Those of us who don't have them but want one, have figured out the same reasons they would find them easier than filling a pot in a sink.

Heather N thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • Nidnay
    6 years ago

Yes Carolina Kitchen & Bath, you are missing something.....it is NOT just for filling pots/pans. It’s useful WHILE cooking. I water sauté all the time, and the water continually evaporates while using this technique. Having the pot filler above the stove allows one to add water as needed during the cooking process. Have you ever boiled anything where much of the water evaporated and you needed to add more. Have you ever made a HUGE pot of soup and weren’t sure how much water you needed add? With the pot filler, you have a ready source of water in the exact amount you need. What about deglazing a pan after browning meat? There’s your water right above your stove. Most times when I make a huge pot of soup etc., that pot stays ON the stove and individual servings are removed into plastic containers for freezing. The full pot is never carried to the sink....it’s emptied right there on the stove. Have you ever had one in your kitchen?

Heather N thanked Nidnay
  • skmom
    6 years ago
    I have a pot filler on the wall... I didn't originally want one as I didn't think I'd use it enough, but since hubby did all of our kitchen remodel the only thing it cost us was the price of the filler and some pex line... hubby wanted it "just because he could." LOL! I really like it now that I have it. It's not needed. It's just a convenience and it wasn't that expensive of a convenience since my hubby installed it. (Still not sure I'd pay a pro to do it... but that's just me and I'm spoiled with a hubby who can do about anything)
    Anyways, mine was mounted so that it can easily reach over 4 of our most used burners... actually, it can reach over my griddle as well and I've used it over it too. (I often fry dozens of meatballs on my griddle and I use a little water from the pot filler to rinse grease into the catch when I'm done, works great!) I wanted to make sure it reached over my highest BTU burner for sure since that's what I use for bringing my large pots to a boil quickly. It reaches over part of my countertop as well, nice when I'm filling up a pitcher or watering can quickly. It folds up mostly flat against my wall, just a portion of one of the valves pokes out further, but it hasn't gotten in the way of any of my pots or pans. Mine has a double swing arm... I guess that's what you'd call it...
    Heather N thanked skmom
  • PRO
    Best Online Cabinets
    6 years ago

Carolina Kitchen & Bath, I totally get what you are saying about the cost of the pot filler not being worth the benefit. But think about it this way, there are millions of people who are currently buying little black towers and little black hockey pucks from Amazon just so they can talk to their computer in voice commands that barely make their lives easier than they would be by simply taking 5-8 seconds longer to type the same commands in manually. Many people look at the price for these devices and say: "Why would I pay that much just for that little convenience?" But in the end it's all a matter of priorities. We are a culture that loves convenience. To some people, it's just worth it. I wish that I could have a pot filler.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago
    Well, back in the day, indoor plumbing was thought of as a complete luxury....the outhouse was just a few steps away...and what could be easier than a chamber pot. Total unnecessary luxury for in house bathrooms.
    Heather N thanked Nidnay
  • 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

ETA: We are a culture that loves convenience.

...little black hockey pucks? LOL!

I think that they are useful and a clear indication that "people cook in this kitchen!" Well put!

In the same respect, there are also some who prefer opening a single drawer rather than opening a cabinet door, then pulling out a rev-a-shelf to retrieve a pot or casserole dish. The time saved is minimal, I'm sure. Drawers in base cabinets are very important to many here on GW. Including myself. Is one preferable to the other for space? That is arguable.. by many.

Plugmolds are another item that is quite popular on GW, but they don't offer 'convenience' per say over an outlet in the wall, yet they are often preferable because they don't disrupt a lovely tile backsplash. This is a cosmetic choice.

Blumotion is another popular feature, and used in every cabinet and every drawer by every maker I've been to locally. They are quiet. Supposedly they will lengthen the life of cabinet doors, but mine were never soft close, they function beautifully. I simply would like to have them for the lack of sound.

I could go on about the things I've learned (gratefully) about here on GW, but you get the idea.

Heather N thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

nidnay... I'd argue it's easier to sit on a higher toilet than squat on a chamber pot, but I've read the argument that 'squatting' is better for bathroom health... LOL!

• Chessie
    6 years ago

"there are millions of people who are currently buying little black towers and little black hockey pucks from Amazon"

Hahahahaha!!! I am one of those. Honestly, I often forget to use it. I love music, and that is the main use that I get out of it. I have an expensive stereo system, a desktop computer in the kitchen with a great sound system of its own, but sometimes it's just easier to say "Alexa play something", when I am concentrating on something. It's a cool device, and I admit that I have found some other neat uses for it.

But this is a timely thread. My BF was after me to pick out a potfiller, as he had assumed that I would want one. We are getting ready to start on my backsplash this weekend, and obviously it would make sense to do the potfiller first, if I was going to have one. My sister thinks I should have one. My mom thinks I should have one, (Neither of them do of course!). But I dunno...it SOUNDS cool, but I think the look of it, is just, well, ugly. I can't get past the whole metal monstrosity thing up on the wall. It sort of ruins the look, to me.

Pics of beautiful backsplashes with potfillers, anyone?? I am willing to be convinced. LOL.

Heather N thanked Chessie
  • 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Not sure what you consider beautiful in a backsplash Chess, and honestly, they are actually a large piece of metal on the wall! If you think they're ugly, I would say don't get one, it's your kitchen! To each her own : - )

But... here are a few

Chess, seriously, if you don't want one, you might be upset if you let other's talk you into one. Personally, I don't find them unattractive, but I want one for convenience, and only because of the type of cooking I do on a regular basis. I think DH thinks they look 'neat', but he can't boil water, LOL!

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

PS: kinda diggin' that bright yellow range, except it reminds me of DH's DeWalt tools!

• Chessie
    6 years ago

2ManyDiversions, " I think DH thinks they look 'neat', but he can't boil water, LOL!"

EXACTLY. My BF does not live with me (I'd not survive cohabitation after being on my own this long!!!) but he thinks they are the "thing to have" if you cook. As if he would know. He eats Cheerios for dinner. His idea of cooking is heating up a slice of pizza in the microwave! Oy vey.

And I have a DeWalt saw that color LOL!

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Chess (OT), long time singles here, all our lives until recently.. cohabitation is very new to both of us and we two very stubborn people - not always easy, so you're in great shape as you are! What's up with these men who love strange foods, can't use the toaster, but love kitchen 'gadgets'? DH eats cheetos until he's orange all over but has 'high end' appliance tastes! I'm the one pushing lower, lower, lower! If you asked your BF to get you a bowl of ice cream, would he ask 'where do you keep it?' That just kills me! I could deadpan 'in the oven, babe' and he'd look!

Oh, I'm so envious! I used to have a ton of tools but sold them... guess I'm lucky as maybe, just maybe, DH will "let" me use his... someday. He's renting a back-hoe next week, and I want to operate it so badly it's killing me.

• noreaster10
    6 years ago

I was on the fence about mine but am glad I added it. I find it useful to even have another water source for the kitchen in the event the sink is tied up and use it all the time for pasta, etc. Personal preference and don't consider it a "fad" "useless" or anything else. Is a bidet a waste of money? (In some cultures now at) Is an icemaker in the fridge or in door water, after all, you can just go to the sink? I also have a wine/beverage fridge so as to not take up space in my regular refrigerator for all that--useless? Waste of money? Not to me. I say go for it. I ended up loving mine. Mine folds flat, is wall mounted, and reaches all 6 of my burners. I usually just fill it and slide the pot over to whatever burner I am using though. Enjoy it!

• PRO
    DDS Design Services, LLC by Jeff Kida
    6 years ago

If you want a pot filler you should get one. There are a few reasons to get a deck mount instead of a wall mount. The primary reason to use a deck mount instead of a a wall mount is freezing. If you live in a climate that has harsh winters and the wall you are dealing with an exterior wall a wall mount is not recommended. The other reason is obstructions in the wall or some other difficulty in getting the water supply there.

Last but not least I always recommend a real licensed plumber with insurance do the work. I also recommend sticking with a name brand and buying it from a local plumbing supply house not a big box store.

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

DDS - thank you for the feedback on deck vs wall mounted!! My original question! haha. It will be mounted on an outside wall and we live on Long Island, so freezing is a concern. I've spoken with my contractor and he assured me that it won't be an issue and he will insulate it properly. We also have a sink and the steam oven connected to a water line on that wall, so there's 3 things that could potentially be an issue. I don't believe there's a drain built into the steam oven, so it is similar to the pot filler in that regard. We are also speaking with our home security contact about possible alerts that can be used - we have water alerts in our attic and around our boiler, so perhaps we would put something similar in the kitchen. We also have temperature sensors in the house to alert us if the temperature gets above/below a certain temp. Would be using a professional plumber and I am leaning towards a Franke pot filler.

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nidnay - I've never even thought to use it for deglazing!!!! Thank you for the idea!

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Chess - I think I mentioned earlier that we are putting ours against an antiqued mirror backsplash, so hopefully it will blend in. You could get a black one and put it against a black backsplash! Or even a nickel one against a colorful backsplash wouldn't be so noticeable like one against a white subway tile backsplash. Also, the ones that don't stretch out over all of your burners are less of an eyesore I think - one that just reaches 1-2 burners. My current pot filler is like that and it's not really a big deal to just fill the pot up there and slide it over to the burner you want to use.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

hduns, backsplash is already decided, and I would not change it to blend in with a pot filler. But thanks for the ideas. I think I am just going to go with my gut on this as we really are starting work on it tomorrow, I am just excited to finally be getting a backsplash, so I will be plenty happy with that. :-)

• User
    6 years ago

Yay for a hotspot bacterial breeding ground!

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sophie, are you saying that pot fillers breed bacteria? I've never heard of this, never gotten sick from either of mine, and can't find anything on Google that says anything about bacteria in pot fillers

• vedazu
    6 years ago

I don't know if it is just the rather small water output from my kitchen sink faucet, but the potfiller has a much higher rate of water-per-second, or however one says that. So, not only do I use it to quickly fill a great big soup pot numerous times a month, but I use it for filling large flower vases quickly, as well. I also, as others have mentioned, use it to keep adding water to soup, or rice or stews. Which brings me to the last point: the boiled down soup is always lighter than when it went on the stove.

• KD
    6 years ago

You can get pans to put under a washing machine in case of leaks for upper floor laundry rooms. (They don’t drain but they catch the water and then you have an alarm in the pan, so you find out about the leak ASAP before it actually damages much, in theory.) Could you install something similar under a range or cooktop cabinet where there is a pot filler, for paranoia?

I’m going to have to investigate deck mounted pot fillers more - I’ve usually just seen the wall mounted ones, but the wall we’d put one on is exterior and fairly exposed. Hm.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

PirateFoxy, we are currently looking into shut-off sensors. There are several - those that are used for refrigerators or washers or dishwashers can often be used elsewhere. The type of sensors vary, whether they shut off or alarm or both, and some you'd use with a catch pan, some are applied to the pipe itself... so many different types, and we've yet to figure out what and which would be the most reliable and work for this situation. So, we are in that process of investigation too!

• Diane
    6 years ago
    Late to post, but wanted to add had a wall mounted pot filler in last home and used it so much. It was on my must have list here, however, it would have had to be counter mounted which would have cut into my back of drawers. So IMO they are great, would have one again if I could have it on the wall. For those who think they only fill pots that then need to be dumped what about tea kettles, soup, oatmeal etc. As to worry about a leak without a sink, I worry more about the ice maker/water line for the refrigerator leaking and that is a small worry.
    Heather N thanked Diane
  • User
    6 years ago

"My assumption is that those who think they’re a fad or useless either don’t cook that much, have never actually had one, or have a limited cooking repertoire."

Really? Good to see you've got such a low opinion of folks. Wow.

• jmm1837
    6 years ago

I think people need to understand that not everyone who reads Houzz necessarily lives in the US. Pot fillers are rare where I live (Australia) - I've never seen one, though I believe a few are now being sold here. And I'd certainly never heard of an OTR microwave until logging onto Houzz - again, never seen one, and I'm not even sure they're legal in Oz. So, while I do cook, and have a reasonable repertoire, neither a pot filler nor an OTR M/W would ever have been on my horizon. To be honest, they still aren't. But to each his or her own.

Heather N thanked jmm1837
  • 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

hduns, did you ever decide about a potfiller? Your question regarding wallmount vs. countertop has been revisited by DH and I. We are now considering a deckmount/countertop pot filler. DH feels plumbing for the deckmount will be easier, as well as installing the back-up shut off valve. I am also thinking it will hold up to use a bit better without a need to use a stabilizer behind the wall. I think both are useful and attractive, whichever way you go... or don't go : )

• Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

2manydiversions - we ended up just going with a wall-mount one, but mainly because I couldn’t find any deck-mounted ones in the style and finish that matched the rest of our kitchen.

• kudzu9
    6 years ago

I would never have a wall-mounted pot filler if the valve was inside the wall. At some point, any faucet needs servicing, and if you have a problem with a leaking valve inside the wall or just need to change out the cartridge it can be a problem involving demo on at least one side of the wall. It becomes nasty if your only access option is through a backsplash.

• marcaevans
    6 years ago
    Ah. The beloved pot-filler debate :). I have one. Used it maybe 2x. My GF cooks a lot of pasta and always goes to sink to get hot water and boil quicker (our PF is hooked to cold - I think most are). Would I do it again? Yes - absolutely, if for no other reason than I think it looks great and much cheaper to plumb up front than add later. But maybe plumb with hot water and a recirc loop would be better. Most have 2 valves already in them so it hasn’t kept me awake at night - but thanks for putting that thought in my head. My plumbing shop gave me a free discontinued counter one when they updated show room. Wouldn’t want it in kitchen, but I took off one arm and it is great for outdoor BBQ sink.
    Heather N thanked marcaevans
  • Heather N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

kudzu9 - I think it would be similar to anything installed in tile, such as a shower head or a tub faucet? Those are typically installed in tile and you typically don’t have to rip out the tile to do typical maintenance on them. In our kitchen, we can access everything from below (have ceiling tiles in the basement), so that would probably help with getting access to the wall if we ever needed, but the plumber doesn’t seem concerned about it. We have a line running through the same wall for our oven and steam oven. I think we could access everything from behind the drawers under the countertop if needed - only a small part of the piping runs behind the tiled backsplash. The pot filler in our old house was 15 years old and we never had to do any maintenance on it.

• kudzu9
    6 years ago

hduns-

It's not the piping one needs to be concerned about. It's whether you have planned for appropriate access to other components inside the wall when something fails or needs servicing. Trying to access plumbing from the underside is not going to be useful for most valves.

I have valves in my walls for my shower and wall mounted faucets, but I made sure the cartridge access holes in the tile were large enough to allow a socket wrench to be seated, and I also typically have access through sheetrock from the back side, rather than going through the tile.

For a pot filler, I'm simply saying that having it more accessible than in the wall is the choice I'd make.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Kudzu, there are many posts in this thread, and other threads throughout GW on potfillers regarding how to avoid having the access to the shut-off valve walled in. “Trying to access plumbing from the underside is not going to be useful for most valves.” Most people have kitchen sinks, agreed? Access to shutoffs (hot and cold) is below the sink. Potfiller access can be the same (below the potfiller in a cabinet, or behind a drawer cabinet base. It’s not difficult. “For a pot filler, I'm simply saying that having it more accessible than in the wall is the choice I'd make.” Fully agree and it's the smart thing to do while installing one.

Marcaevans, I wouldn’t want hot water at the potfiller. Hot water is handy for washing hands, dishes and rinsing dishes, but I never use it for cooking pastas, or adding to soups and stocks, or using in any of my cooking. Hot water is more likely to leach contaminants from the pipes. If I need hot water for cooking, I heat cold water on the stove or in the microwave. I really like your BBQ sink setup!

Hduns, yep, it’s hard to find a deckmount PF in various styles and finishes!

• kudzu9
    6 years ago

2Many-

Thanks for pointing out that cautions about access to valves is covered elsewhere. For those who may not see those other threads, I’m pointing it out in this lengthy one.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

You were right to do so, of course, kudzu, not everyone reads every post in a lengthy thread. Good thinking!

• seosmp
    6 years ago

Hi,

i have a deck-mounted pot filler. I had it installed when we did the kitchen in 2013. I couldn’t go with wall mounted since the range is on an exterior wall and we have temps below 0 here. We have a shutoff in the cabinet and also in the basement. The pot filler itself has a second shutoff. I’m into all the “smart” things and have a smart water shutoff valve waiting to be installed. This is for the entire house and not specific to the pot filler. If smart water sensors detect a leak, the valve shuts the whole house off automatically.

It is mounted on the back left counter by my Wolf 36” range. It obviously doesn’t reach to all 6 burners but I fill and slide as necessary.

I LOVE MY POT FILLER!!! I use it multiple times per day for various things.

I love seeing all the debate about it every so often.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

seosmp, I guess that's the only thing that worries me about the deck mount - the inability to reach as much as the wall mount. DH says he prefers the installation of the deck mount though. I do want an insert in the wall above the range (for keeping my oils, most used spices), and suppose deck mount would go off to one side.

Currently looking at something like this, which I think should reach most of what I need, and I'll just slide also : )

Photos for uploading · More Info
    At this point (in our demo), if I suggested a whole house installation of smart sensors, DH might leave me ; )

• seosmp
    6 years ago

Hah! I’m the one who deals with all the smart things at our house, not my husband (my degree and job are in technology ).

Honestly I wanted a wall mounted but decided against for obvious reasons. Deck mounted was my only option. I rationalized it with all the reasons above.. easy to service, change, etc....

Mine looks similar!! Can send pic when I get home....

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

That'd be wonderful if you could post a pic... I'd love to see one in a 'real' photo!

Hate admitting this, but I think I'm leaning toward deck mount for the wrong reasons - aesthetics over function. (DH for the right reasons: install). I have seen quite a few wall mount, and just think the deck mount would be 'different'. I do think it might hold up over time a bit better, but with good support the wall mount would hold up, too.