Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decorrookie

Clueless PLEASE help!

decorrookie
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I have boring white walls....I have a nice home but im "blind" when it comes to decor! I hate my light green leather couch and my husband bought a huge white leather puffy recliner that has only gotten dirty because of the kids and we never use it. We don't use that whole living room/dining room combo at all!! The area to the right of the stairs is empty. My husband insists on white walls and doesnt really get that anything goes with white! I like color. ANY advice would be so greatly appreciated :)

Comments (127)

• decorrookie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you all think of these pillows for my minty green couch?
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Or ?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Paint, remove vertical blinds replace with panels on each end go floor to ceiling. Area rug 8 x10 in a bold print would help warm room and draw eye away from huge sofa. Maybe moving it into room more away from window. Then place rug in front. Walls a soft gray. You need color white wall are out and have been since 1980. Add 2 fabric chairs low back, modern use black and gray contemporary design. Add some big palms to fill space add warmth.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Add area rug 8 x10 under dining table.bold colors. New light over table modern brush nickel hang 36" from top of table. Remove family picture from wall put in bedrm. Add large 40x40 art use the one in other room. Hang low 24" from floor. Centered. In mirrored area place a long dark wood chest or table add large palm next to it in nice ceramic pot in black. Move large sec and all furn into room more get rid of white chair, and get 2 new ones in comment above. Put 2 large art pic on that long wall where you have one.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    In dining area remove or hide verticals with panels like I suggested in other post. Add plants to corners.
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok sounds good. How about the pillows?
  • PRO
    A.D.I. Electric
    10 years ago
    adding some recess lighting into your cielings would definitely brighten up the room
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Regarding the pillows: first option, with the teal added. Lovely!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I find in working with clients, that the husbands says he wants to in the loop. But what I hear is, he wants to know how much everything cost. Which is fine. But, you should have just as many ideas, and be able to put them into effect. Most places will let you buy and return if the item doesn't work. Buy the rug put it down let him see it. When he sees how nice the room comes together he will be happy. You don't have to spend thousands, can find rug at TJMax very good price. Panels Bed and Bath not expensive. This is your home. Make it welcoming and inviting. This homes has many good possibilities. Get a bid on painting pick up some color chip hang on wall so he can see. You do all the leg work. Let him enjoy the rewards of a happy home.
  • patty947
    10 years ago
    Love the pillows, especially the teal. Take them home if you can and play with them on your couch until you get the effect you find pleasing. With your big couch, you have room for many pillows.
  • PRO
    Daniel Dionne Designs llc
    10 years ago
    Hi lasmart1. JW Interiors has given you the best advice posted so far. Follow a logical process. StartI feel that you have way "bigger fish to fry" than paint color. Don't get me wrong, I would definitely paint a grey or greige but there are other things that will help make this a room you actually WANT to spend time in, even as you formulate your long term master plan. You really should consider hiring a professional if only for a consultation and general space plan. The disconnect in regards to yours and your husbands' preferences is very common, so you are not alone. However, disregarding your husbands wishes is NOT the way to prevail here. I dare say that none of us in the industry would have clientele if that was our approach to finding middle ground. Many have offered GREAT advice. First, this is an ENORMOUS room if I am seeing the pics correctly. So, get the furniture away from ALL the walls and float it in the center of the room, thereby creating intimacy AND space. Bring the chair into the grouping and anchor it with a dynamic area rug to define. Consider a LARGE console on your back wall. (where the large abstract hangs) Treat the entire wall of windows as one unit. Install a continuous length of poles to about 12" beyond the outer edges of the outermost windows, left and right. Now, use simple panels in a light (colored, not weight) fabric. The fabric will stack between the windows when opened, creating the illusion of a literal wall of windows. Very unifying. Do the same thing in the dining room. Once you have positioned your existing pieces the gaps will speak to you and you can address them one at a time, while having a NOW plan that allows and encourages you to use the space as it evolves. In all cases, scale will be of paramount importance. This room calls for a sensibly edited number of appropriately scaled (read large) elements to maintain the sleekness and spaciousness that you have already begun. You have large expanses of wall, a large series of windows, etc. Don't even really think too much about accessories until you have your foundation (main pieces) in place. Have fun with this. It is a terrific space with great potential and you already have some lovely elements. One step at a time... Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Effortless Chic
    10 years ago
    Ladies, I don't think it is wise to put rugs and plants in the house where three kids with asthma live. And many pillows will accumulate dust as well so I think going easy on pillows is a better idea, one or two large pillows in bright orange , or yellow or teal should be more than enough, no need to put half a dozen. If your husband insists on white walls than probably painting them in bright colors will not fly. I would just get rid of blinds, put simple panels in cotton or linen in saturated blue or teal color, and add artwork and lamps to bring color into the rooms
  • lionnessone
    10 years ago
    When I saw urban living-pacific heights photo I thought of your space immediately; I knew you would love it! I hope I helped you out on your dilemma. :)
  • derk5
    10 years ago
    Thank you, Inna Brodkin, for reminding us that the home decor must take into account three children with asthma. Found this informative Guide for Reducing Allergens and Irritants in the Home that discusses flooring, window coverings, furniture, and more. See http://www.asthmaandallergyfriendly.com/images/stories/pdf/brochures/reduced_allergen_guide.pdf.
  • Sue Potter
    10 years ago
    I would paint the walls Pale gray, and lower the picture. turn the sectional so its facing the windows in middle of room...NOT against walls..or windows pull it back. Buy some nice drapes Pennys has NICE reasonal prices with grommets and BIG Stainless curtain rods.( chunky, maybe satin finish). and a satin finish or silk drape..( print design ) add some throw (Deep tangerine, Emerald or deep teal green ) pillows. (Mine are purple, and red)... Your house is VERY CONTEMPORARY. and I LOVE that style. Mine is too. I changed mine to Deep purples and it looks FAB.. I have deep purple shag rug, and cream leather....Lots of glass and iron , and some wood pieces, sofa table or some antique pieces..Pottery, Add A few Tree size plants in huge pots, and a Nice Contemporary same colors as picture RUG (ask since your 3 have asthma) there are some for people with allergies, the rug needs to be HUGE...it's BIG SPACE, which commands BIG. Keep the sofa, picture ....Plantation Blinds White under the drapes would look great too. "Throw the old blinds away", WHITE trim, and baseboards, blinds.
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ok friends i need your help asap! Would these work well in my dining room, the buffet on the right side (empty wall/floor) and this rug under the dining table? Or wrong style/color???? Should i get a "brighter" colored rug? Its a one day sale at Horchow, i need advice PLEASE!
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    and this is what ive done on the other side of the room, so far.
  • derk5
    10 years ago
    Lasmar1, the buffet would work, but the rug is too traditional and not the right colors to go with your decor. Look for an abstract pattern that has some of the colors from your painting in the adjacent living room. As for the pillows, the red/orange looks great, but teal would look better than purple with the artwork above.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Ooo, love the buffet. The rug is too traditional though. Agree with derkacs on that. But I do like the pillows!
  • derk5
    10 years ago
    If a rug is not a problem for your children, consider this rug also from the Horchow website. It's called Iredell Dot. The pattern is compressed in the photo below; looks better on the website: http://www.horchow.com/p/Iredell-Dot-Rug-Transitional/cprod99130014_cat000018_cat6120733_/?isEditorial=false&index=17&seoDesigner=&cmCat=cat000000cat000046cat6120733cat000018. The rug should be a minimum of 2 feet larger than the table on all sides.
  • patty947
    10 years ago
    Love the buffet and what you've done with the living room area. Though the rug you chose is beautiful, I agree with others that it's not as modern as you need. I also like the rug recommended by derkacs, but you might find better prices elsewhere. I tend to prefer to shop locally for rugs, because you can bring a couple of choices home and see what they really look like in your space. Returning is just easier unless you see something you HAVE to have online. (o:
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would this work? I'd probably have to change the wall color right?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Maybe to please you and hubby for the wall color... Use stripes - white and sofa green in large irregular wide stripes.
    Similar to this photo, only the stripes would be 'white and sofa green color'. You would only have to add the green stripes. Less time painting and less expensive. It will go with your last arrangement posted that I like. You could also use 1-2 tones darker than your sofa color.
    Interior Renovation · More Info
  • derk5
    10 years ago
    The first buffet is striking and would go well with your decor. The diamond pattern is more contemporary. The pattern on the second buffet is more traditional.
  • PRO
    Karen Dorris, interior Designs
    10 years ago
    This is the longest thread and I haven't read everything but I see you have some great ideas including working with a designer and a fabulous photoshopped carpet. I agree that the sectional needs to be turned along the long wall away from the windows. I don't know if anyone has mentioned but the verticals appear too rosy which is why they look off with the sectional....they are opposites on the colour wheel and make each other appear more vivid by comparison. With this sectional, I like the idea of s pleat sheers at the ceiling along that wall. If that is not your thing, then a sunshade in a 10% open with grommet top side panels for each window and stay away from anything pinky. A couple of my go to whites are BM OC-18 Dove Wing and if you can handle a wee bit more saturation than that, BM Barren Plain - no awkward undertones, Hazy Skies has a bit of green undertone which may be a great option too. none of these colors are too much saturation for those who love white.

Good luck,
  • Sue Potter
    10 years ago
    Love the first Buffet , awesome. The rug is traditional..you need BOLD, contemporary or abstracts. Love the Pillows!!!
  • bubblyjock
    10 years ago
    @ Frank - what does tantalized mean, in this context? We use many different kinds of wood for fencing - oak, ash, hemlock, pine, fir, cedar, etc, and it's not an expression I've heard used to describe wood before (like it, though!).
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would this work in one of the empty spaces in the entry of the living room? Or am I crazy for even liking this?!
  • PRO
    A.D.I. Electric
    10 years ago
    the White u shaped sofa is such an odd shape.. So I'm not too fond of that. Possibly a custom designed L-shaped sofa. this can be done for $700-900.
  • derk5
    10 years ago
    For the entry foyer, add a table like the ones posted earlier. In the living room, since you have a large curved sofa, two contemporary chairs facing it would look best. The traditional design loveseat you posted would not work in your very modern decor, in my opinion.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I love that little funky settee. In front of that mirrored wall? Yep! That will make a statement. It definitely says: 'here live some fun loving people'. I really like it. You have such a large space, if you put a small round table in front of it, not central but more towards the stairs, it will make a cozy little area.
  • patty947
    10 years ago
    No, you're not crazy for loving the little settee. It's really cute. I just don't see it with your other furniture. I like derkacs ideas above - something more modern.
  • loishapi
    10 years ago
    Honestly, the settee represents your hunger for colour and statement. And your confusion about what to do and where to begin. Please find an interior decorator sensitive to your budget and needs who can show you what your room needs to satisfy its current challenges. Throwing ideas up in the air and landing all over the map will waste your money. Think visually - imagine you are painting a landscape. I believe one needs to see in their mind first what they want the end result to be. if you are unable to do so and by reading and observing to date, I would say, yes - your gifts and talents are not interior design, get help from someone who will barter if your cash is tight. It is far better to buy one great piece of a big beautiful vision at a time, than throw random disconnected pieces that in the end have no function or fit in the overall form. I don't know if I am making sense. Think of building a home: would you come home with a brick one day, a beam the next and over time assemble a yard filled with various windows and materials before you have a plan? Unless you are a real artist, not! It may look good somewhere else but not fit your home. You have many great suggestions here, and some not so great. Now is the time to stop asking readers and make a collage photos of rooms you love with a similar sofa - by the way, it's a great piece. Think: eclectic. But variables have to work, like a collage of perfectly proportioned functional parts that make a vision come to life. No vision. No life. Just wasted money and frustration. I would rather spend $500 - $800 on a richly textured, colourful pillow - SERIOUSLY FABULOUS and original than buy 25 small tacky little mismatched items. You must remember SCALE. This room and its furnishings so far have dictated the SCALE. And its SUBSTANTIAL. The decorative pillow I keep envisioning here to simply help you see the SCALE you have already established, is about the size of one of your sofas seat cushions. Again, a good designer/decorator friend will demonstrate what scale means to your room. Maybe time to assemble your photos and post them. I heard a great line the other day from a designer who said he 'looks at his purchases, not as possessions but as companions so he makes sure before buying that these are the right companions for his life and home". Love it!
  • loishapi
    10 years ago
    Go to Google: FLEXFORM FIT ITALIO - and check out their series of ads for a sense of SCALE with similar looking furniture. You could do a number on your walls - go crazy and plaster them so they look antiquated, historic or paint them high gloss black! Indigo... Or chalkboard black. Buy an expensive rug and some groovy lamps. A coffee table that fits the entire sofa so the kids can lay on it too! lol
  • PRO
    Groovywares.com
    10 years ago
    I would get rid of the globe and replace it with an abstract metal table sculpture. Lots of vintage handmade metal sculptures can be found at groovywares.com
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Checking in; This is a good example of the possibilities vs limitations of Houzz. Providing some broad points like color scheme and such is a great way to offer people some design guidance and exercise our impulse to help the public. It's fun interacting with each other and "playing" with ideas.
    The problem, as I see it, is that when the discussion draws down to details, language and pictures just cannot replace hiring a professional to direct a project. Both sides lose since the consumer has to struggle with too much advice and the designer puts in time for 0 return!
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    I see your points, Jeffrey, TMI for a lot of posters to sift through and designers do put in a lot of time.

Granted those of us who are on the suggesting end receive 0, but often we get some very nice responses and thank you s for our efforts.

What I always get is a learning experience as a lot of requests send me on the hunt for coordinating colors, products, etc. So, personally I never feel as if I get 0. The time that I do get disappointed is when you spend a lot of time on a problem and never receive any acknowledgment that you have done so. Kind of a plate glass window feeling :>).

I wonder how it would work if one poster got one responder, more of a one on one. Let that run its course and should it not work out post the dilemma again (indicating it is the second attempt). I don't see how 450+ responses to one dilemma can possibly accomplish anything. Who is going to read through all of the comments before being 451?

Then there could be design teams. That would be fun. There are two or three houzzers who always work so well together and wind up with some great ideas. Name the teams and let the poster request them?

I don't know....
  • Sydnie I'm Schneider
    10 years ago
    I think you need to pick a theme or look you like. Do you want light and airy? Grey and yellow. You need to have a vision before buying and moving stuff
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    10 years ago
    I would recommend removing the Vertical blinds and replacing them with something a more updated . I would recommend going with Sheers and Drapery panels I will attach some pictures below to give you a better idea.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels.html

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/sheer-drapery.html
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    UPDATE: how do you feel about these rugs? Royal blue going at sectional, geometric one under dining set?? Verticals are going!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I like the geometric one. The royal blue one not so much. Would rather go for something like this, that has more of the colour that is in the geometical one (also Joss&Main)
  • patty947
    10 years ago
    I totally agree with carolins! She took the words right out of my mouth! The royal blue one is pretty in itself, but I don't think it goes with the turquoise color in your beautiful pillows and the geometric rug.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    judyg; Hello! I enjoy Houzz and all of the other virtual forums online. I think it's cool to be able to talk about what we love and help people with their questions. I think it's important to balance these forums against the fact that by providing all of the detail and our sources, we may also be contributing to the public's ideal of getting free service. In other words, are we our own worst enemy as professionals? Do forums like this discourage people from hiring professionals? Between HGTV shows that condense design into 30 minute transformations and giving out free advice online, we support the notion that real design is a hobby at best.
    Acknowledgement is a good thing if one sees this as a confidence builder but for me the question is "does this help me feed my family, pay the mortgage, and produce a college education for my kids?"
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    I guess some people don't mind sharing their knowledge for free and I believe they find satisfaction in giving without gaining any financial reward to pay their mortgages ,etc.
    There are so many websites and blogs where people share their finds or good deals or knowledge for free because that makes them happy. I don't think their kids will go hungry or their mortgage wont get paid because of that.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Ouch! Is your design practice your source of income? I'm not being mean but I'm curious...........?
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    All I am trying to say is that you don’t have to give free advice here or anywhere else.
  • decorrookie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think it's wonderful of these talented people to help out others without charging for advice. Thanks to all!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    We're saying the same thing..................this is a great place for talented people to offer advice to people with no strings attached. It's a pleasure to talk with people and help with design dilemmas. Sondramartina says it well. There's satisfaction in sharing ideas freely. The question I raised is worth talking about too. Do these forums have an effect on the design business?
  • PRO
    Rachel Ranosa
    10 years ago
    break up the sofa and space it out! try distributing the visual weight of it equally throughout the room : )