efayen

My new home needs an actual front door

efayen
last modified: May 29, 2013
We love our new home, but, oh my... curb appeal is sadly lacking. Presently, one walks up narrow stairs on the side of the house to the entry door, not unusual in this neighborhood. We are thinking of a door facing front in place of the far left window of the enclosed porch with landing and stairs either facing front or towards the center of the home, depending on town codes. The house faces north and we plan a bench to watch the sunset either on the landing or in new landscape design. I would be so grateful for your suggestions!

LB Interiors
    Sweet Caroline, beautiful work! Lovely Home!
    Carolyn Choi
    Y'all got wax in your ears ? efayen is saying that she now realizes she needs the space in the heated porch because she only has 1500 s.f. including that.

Need help on selecting front door and exterior colours for new house

Would Stormy Monday (one shade lighter) look better (ie, more contrast) with a black door? We're using Stormy Monday with a 'Deep Space' (BM2125-20 door and white trim

Need help for my new house front

And just keep in mind that whilst us UK houzzers are now used to coloured houses due to the number of US houses we look at, your neighbours in the UK will raise eyebrows if you paint the house any colour that isn't white or cream.

Front door of my home, needs new color.

Agree w/Segur. Do your own thing! I painted a big old wooden storage unit in my garage Disney's med. purple and people laughed. Walls were soft white. I loved it every time I drove in my garage I smiled. .. Had house from 50's.. same type kitchen window. Did a narrow vertical blind than could slide open sample as window .. made for some private when not wanting all open. Got rid of hanging light with flush at ceiling. Put string lighting under cabinets. LOVED IT!

Need help picking a new front door for my house.

Your house looks really good already. Your windows may still be under warranty- check into having the local rep come out and try to repair the moisture issue, if you want to save some money. (Andersen did ours after 18 years for no charge by pumping gas between the panes, and we weren't the original owners.) Your door is a bit on the Victorian side for the style of the house, BUT painting it a lighter color would really help. It is also possible to have a new, different insert put in, if you want to echo the squares of the grids. Replacing the overly ornate lighting on either side of the entry, beefing up the house numbers, pruning that tree next to the house back a bit, and adding a landscape bed for the palms would be nice improvements, too.
    Maguire
    LB can you take your rendering, add a portico and push the front door out about 5' so that no interior space is used?
    Carolyn Choi
    Thanks, LB interiors - 45 years of toil and sweat went into it .
    Maguire
    Sweet Caroline, You talkin' to me? Hey, I'm typing as fast as I can. I hit "Submit" and you all are 40 paces ahead of me!
    LB Interiors
    Yes that was my home growing up! I agree, it does look like pine.
    Maguire
    Sweet Caroline your home is amazing and worth all the effort (easy for me to say, right?)
    Carolyn Choi
    Just ribbin' ya, Maguire. Thanks for the compliments on my house, I miss it very much -just sold it a few months ago.
    LB Interiors
    I might try that Maguire, but I was trying to use existing structure to cut the costs. I think I'd like to see the pic from the interior looking toward the porch room first :)
  • efayen
    This is the living room with odds and ends as we haven't moved in totally yet. The grey loveseat will go on the (sunny) porch and a much larger sofa matching the patterned loveseat will go in its place. It will be tight to even open the French doors. I hope it works. Yes, I do have wood floors...new on the first floor, original on the second. LB, not recessing the exterior entry could work!
  • efayen
    I'm trying to keep up, too! You all have me laughing!
    Maguire
    Wouldn't it be something if the window casings and baseboards had Sweet Carolines oak or another nice wood under all that paint?
    LB Interiors
    You could move the new sofa placement at right angles (L-shape) to the fireplace. Closer to the fireplace edge away from the door, still leaving walkway space on the far side of your existing sofas in that pic.
  • efayen
    Thanks, Maguire. I will get back to you.
    Maguire
    efayen, can you get another picture with your back to the FP facing the front wall and into the porch?
    LB Interiors
    Option. Could move the French doors to the top of the photo you posted. Enter from the left of the room for clear walkway space. Nearer the corner table in the photo. Close in the French door space with drywall - no better yet, another window?
    Carolyn Choi
    Ok, y'all I've got this solved : Take the existing french doors on the interior and put them in the center of the enclosed porch and create a nice craftsman like staircase. Put in as many new larger windows as possible to open up the space more . What kind of siding is that on the enclosed porch, efayen ? This is usually not that hard to do.
    Maguire
    Moving the french doors would certainly give her more usable space in the LR and LB if you added the front door to the front left corner of the house, moving the french door directly in front of it would look better. Or maybe just omitting the doors and adding another one of those pretty arches.
    Maguire
    efayen is making dinner.
    LB Interiors
    That was exactly my vision for it Maguire. Thanks! :)
    Carolyn Choi
    Here's an example of the french door with some windows and an exterior staircase . Pay no attention to the rest of the building :-) A more traditional craftsman staircase instead of this one.
    rustic retreat · More Info
    Makes the enclosed porch look much lighter .
  • efayen
    I am impressed with the outdoor French door idea. So much to think about! "Apparently", the only place for the tv is on the wall to the left of the fireplace when looking from the French doors! And the siding? plastic. Thanks to all!
  • efayen
    To answer, Maguire, the land to the left only goes to the edge of the walkway, so building forward is more likely the option. Homes flanking have closed porches with stairways leading to the street, so there is precedence. Thanks for your photos. My house was built in the early 20's and the Modern Home is very much my house, except the stairs are on the right side of the house inside the LR.
    Carolyn Choi
    Don't you have setbacks, efayen ? We had 30 ' setbacks from the sidewalk. Your frontage looks very small as it is so you probably wouldn't want to build out further. Do you have any space in the back to add on a four season room ?
    LB Interiors
    Before and After ... Extending to the front of the home. Not meant for specifications.
    Drawing is not to scale. The steps and railings are not at the proper angles, sorry.
    Before - Entry · More Info

Entry porch recessed
    After - # 1 New Exterior Entry recessed · More Info

Entry porch extended
    After - # 2 New Exterior Entry extended · More Info

Move French Doors to the corner of the same wall.
    Move French Doors · More Info
    Carolyn Choi
    I like the example on the right, LB Interiors, except I think the staircase is too large and I would do square columns instead of round, wood steps with handrails and a wood door at the entry ( more craftsman looking ) . I would also remove the shutters ( not normally found on Foursquares ) and add crown molding on windows both upper and lower . And then there's the landscaping ...or lack thereof. A built-up flower bed with a stone/brick retaining wall on the right , filled with a mix of evergreens, flowering shrubs and flowers and on the left what is that long strip of lawn ? Is there room there to plant some small blooming trees, shrubs or ornamental grasses ? Maybe some flower boxes on the first floor windows ?
    LB Interiors
    The columns aren't round, they are square. The door is for drawing quickly or not so quickly. The drawing is not meant for specifics, just to give an idea. :) Didn't want to spend more time for other details :) ,,,,,, I just added the correct door for this home (it was previously drawn quickly) and the railings of which I was aware that were necessary :)
    LB Interiors
    I prefer wider steps than the width of a door area, if it's possible,
    Steps can be any material prefered, just an idea for a visual.
    Cusano Construction Company Inc.
    I say you remove old stairs and landing, Remove 2 of the windows in the center ( which appears to about 6') Install a nice french door unit, add a new covered front porch across the front of the house with square columns. Make the width of the porch ( or bearing walls )about 16" shorter then the existing. This will create a new Hip roof line for the porch and give the house a little more character . A Standing Seam metal accent for roof covering would be nice .
    efayen thanked Cusano Construction Company Inc.
  • efayen
    Yes, I can see it, LB and it looks great. The issue might be setback. Flanking neighbors have stairs facing street original. But, a couple houses in the neighborhood have done what this pic shows. And this house is part enclosed porch. A two directional stairway? first across and then forward? The grass on the left side of the house is not ours, but we could move to the right. Not a big fan, though.
    There is space in the back....plan for future!
    LB Interiors
    Thanks 'efayen'. I did question the set back originally too :)
    LB Interiors
    I think you would get the best use of your space and original construction, to keep costs to a minimum and allow more usable living room space and easier living room furniture placement by considering the After #1 or #2., if # 2 is in code. And moving the French doors will help with the flow of the pathway into your home. I think they are the least disruptive and less costly options :)
    Maguire
    Your after #2 is beautiful LB. Please keep us posted efayen if possible
  • efayen
    Yes, I'm thinking now that #2 is my direction. I like it and I agree that it would be less disruptive. Thanks, LB . Got a lot done today and much yet to do :)
  • efayen
    I will post!
    Maguire
    Thank you. I have a bit of a crush on your home and any improvements to it you do will take this little charmer over the top. I really hope you find a nice spot for that bench for the sunset watching.
    efayen thanked Maguire
    LB Interiors
    Thanks Maguire, much appreciated!!! The drawing keeps my mind and fingers working.
    Thanks 'efayen'. Glad it might have been of some help!
    efayen thanked LB Interiors
    Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
    3 D version of my original drawing in 2D
    efayen thanked Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
  • efayen
    Oooo.......my alternate universe is calling me. Love it!
    Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
    Go ahead take a seat and have a cup of joe , while you wave to you friends loving your new front entry way .
    Veronica Lawrence Interiors
    This is quite a dramatic change, I hope you go for it
  • efayen
    A change is brewing..... :)
    Foshan Demose hardware products Co.,Ltd
    This is the wire rope railing we made for our customer's entrance. Some similar like yours. Thanks!
    efayen thanked Foshan Demose hardware products Co.,Ltd
  • efayen

Hello! Forward 2 years .....is anyone still at home?

Grateful for all the help I got, I post the end result. After numerous inside projects, we finally got to the house front. Time and local custom helped us become comfortable with the side entry, and our experience has shown that even a "small" change can be so satisfying!

• decoenthusiaste

That's exactly what I would have suggested! Good for you!

LB Interiors

Very nice Efayen. Railing is beautiful and the entry clean up with an open fresh feeling looks so inviting. Good Job!

• tippie64
    Beautiful fireplace. Love the old brick
  • efayen

Hello again, LB... and thank you!

LB Interiors

Hi there ... nice to see you!

Verona Home Design

Many great suggestions in this thread! If you're in the market for a new door, please be sure to stop on by our page and check out an abundance of options! Verona Home Design