Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lola2324

What color should I stain tongue and groove porch ceiling?

lola2324
6 years ago

I am having trouble choosing a stain for the tongue and groove porch ceilings. I like the color in this

photo, does anyone know what color this might be?

Comments (27)

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

we did ours blue.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    6 years ago

Light fruitwood (wiped off).

Casey

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

early american, golden oak, maybe. depends what wood you have and how it accepts the stain. if doing pine, use a wood conditioner first and then try early american. you don't do multiple coats. one coat of a stain that's dark enough for you will be fine.

• cookncarpenter
    6 years ago

Depends on your wood species, and as Beth says if Pine, or other softwood, you need a conditioner to get uniformity...

• bobismyuncle
    6 years ago

Color name can be about anything the manufacturer wants to call it. The same color stain, say "Golden Oak" or "Medium Maple" can be quite different from one brand to another. And different woods will take the same stain differently. For example, Minwax Golden Oak on ash is yellow, on red oak, it's light brown. And raw ash and red oak look much like each other. Maybe closer than two different pieces of red oak look. The only way to know for sure is to run some trials on scrap, complete through the finish coats. Known as a sample board.

• lola2324
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you for the responses. The wood is pine and we applied a conditioner. I bought several Minwax stains today and some sample boards as well. I can't wait to try them out. I hope one will resemble this pic.
  • lola2324
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Another question, the front door is Mahogany wood. Should it be stained the same color as the ceiling?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

mahogany should really never be stained. the beauty of it's color is the natural wood. Some pure tung oil, (not tung oil finish) is all that's needed to bring out the natural red tone. give it a fine sand w/320 grit, wipe clean and rub in the tung (or hemp) oil. pure oil,,,mixed w/a natural solvent. you can also use it on your ceiling. (real milk paint company sells it online)

• toxcrusadr
    6 years ago

Haint Blue is traditional. :-D

• Chris Walk
    5 years ago

I was wondering which stain you ended up deciding on. We are in the same situation with the pine tongue and groove patio ceiling :)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Color of porch ceiling: Haint Blue, a soft blue-green, to ward off evil spirits called "haints."

• rwiegand
    5 years ago

Stain on pine is just asking for a nasty blotchy looking job unless you are both very competent and careful with wood finishing. Pine will also change color substantially over time on its own, so you may or may not end up with what you envision. I'd just varnish it and be done for natural wood or paint it blue.

• kmg11
    5 years ago

We did this quite a number of years ago with pine boards. Ours was a bit darker than your inspiration photo. I had the job of staining each board, while my husband did the installation. It was very time consuming for sure and I did have to do some re-sanding for some of the blotchiness that occurred, but I loved the finished product! The haint blue of the southern porches is another really pretty look and would be much less involved, I imagine-lol!

• User
    5 years ago

Porch ceilings painted blue is traditional in the south, not only for the "keeping spirits away" but also it keeps the bugs away. It really does.

• User
    5 years ago

Someone once told me it's because bugs think it the sky and don't land on it.

• User
    5 years ago

Palmetto Custom Home · More Info

• dan1888
    5 years ago

I like General Finish stains and finishes. They make it easier to produce a quality finish.

• rolling1876
    4 years ago

What color did you end up using? I’m trying to pick out the stain for my pine tongue and groove and need help!!

• cpartist
    4 years ago

^^^ You don't just pick a color out of thin air. It has to relate to the other colors you're using and the style of your house.

• chas045
    4 years ago

"I want to know what color the person chose since they were looking for a
    color close to the one in the picture which is the color I want. Why
    did you feel you had to make that comment anyway?"

Um, because you forgot to say that!!

• rolling1876
    3 years ago

Why would I have to say that? If a person is asking about a color then they must like the color and want to use it themselves. That’s why most people ask about things on here. It’s kinda a forum for that. Duh

• saufam05
    3 years ago

Lol...check

• lohmeyer58
    last year

I am reading this thread and working on a porch ceiling too. I like this color and would love to know what is shown in the photo and what stain she decided to go with!! Any answers? The wood is pine and I’m leaning towards Golden Oak or possibly Mountain Ash by SW for a hint of gray. Let me know if anyone has suggestions!! Appreciate the help!

• Lori Adams
    11 months ago

Lohmeyer58.. what color did you end up with?

• warbirl
    last month

linseed oil is a great look natural ez to do and when you want to freshin it up it ez as roughing it up with a good scotch brite pad and more linseed never peals or chips

• ci_lantro
    last month

Linseed oil is a food source for mold & mildew. Stick with products that are formulated for exterior use.