Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smith9

disguise a crooked dormer?

Sue Smith
6 years ago

Not sure if it's as obvious in the photo as in real life, but the wall below this dormer is noticeably crooked... I did not measure, but if it's 10" on the left, it's 11.5" on the right... a balcony stair rail will be installed in front of it next week and it will be all the more obvious then...

I have questions out to my builder and painter about solutions for disguising the situation - contrasting paint to trick the eye? a plant shelf? but the wait for answers is endless when you're worried... any thoughts? Thank you very much.

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    6 years ago
    This is new construction or remodel? Remodel it’s understandable, new construction it’s really sloppy to be this far off. Regardless one paint color for everything (presumably ceiling white) will help. YOU will always see it though. Will it drive you crazy?
    Sue Smith thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO you are the one that sees it I honestly think you will be the only one so hang a fabulous chadelier and get over it.

Sue Smith thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Sue Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

New construction... I will see it all the time - I know it's driving me especially crazy right now because it's a fresh discovery, but I think it will continue to stick out like a sore thumb :(

• qam999
    6 years ago

I can't even see what you're alluding to.

Sue Smith thanked qam999
  • smitrovich
    6 years ago

Can you post a picture from farther away that shows more of the space? I really do think it's fine. Every house has it's quirks and imperfections. And this one seems (from this photo at least) really minor.

Sue Smith thanked smitrovich
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

Why and where are you installing the balcony stair rail?

Sue Smith thanked suzyq53
  • afmcnear
    6 years ago

Check with the builder to see if the drywallers or painters can come correct it; it should be an easy fix with some sanding and skim-coating. It may be a couple days work and some dust, but it will be so worth doing, even if you're the only one who notices. :) We had a very similar issue with crooked lines around a skylight and getting it corrected was definitely the right thing to do.

Sue Smith thanked afmcnear
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

Why isn't it a picture window? How and why would you ever open that thing? Get it fixed. What does the builder say?

• Brenda Waggoner
    6 years ago
    Are you saying the left side of dormer is higher that the right?
  • Sue Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm relieved to know this may only be obvious to me - thank you! It's the piece of wall directly under the window recessed into the dormer opening - it should be a nice symmetrical rectangle 30" x 30" x 14" x 14" - it's more like 30" x 30" x 14" x 12.5" - the height of the rectangular piece of wall directly under the window is 1.5" shorter on the left side than the right. I'm definitely going to follow the advice to keep it all one color - I can't step back any further to photo more of the space (it's a very small hallway) - just gonna hope that the balcony rail install doesn't point out/highlight what no one else seems to see now!

• Brenda Waggoner
    6 years ago
    Just a heads up. Nothing in your house is going to be level or plum. We built a house in the 80s and we got a terrible paint job. After 2 days of getting the paint guy in and trying to get paint off the floor after he left, we gave up. Pick the Hill you die on. If this is the hill, don’t give up until you’re happy with it.
    Sue Smith thanked Brenda Waggoner
  • Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    I can not notice it, without seeing the whole area or if chandalier would fit there, if one can, I would get one that hangs low at different heights, that will trick the eye and look beautiful
    Sue Smith thanked Irene Morresey
  • annied75
    6 years ago
    I see the issue that you're referring to. The trim carpenters should be able to disguise it once you get to that stage. I would, however, question the builder since it is sloppy workmanship.
    Sue Smith thanked annied75
  • deegw
    6 years ago

I noticed it right away so you aren't being picky or crazy. At least in my world. How is the window supposed to be finished off? I don't see any room on the sides for trim.

Sue Smith thanked deegw
  • annied75
    6 years ago
    The trim carpenters will need to put a finished piece for the top and bottom of the window. If they use a plain trim piece, then they can make the needed adjustments & trick the eye. Then, as a previous poster mentioned, paint the area the same color to disguise it more.
    Sue Smith thanked annied75
  • Sue Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts on this - I'm hoping that if it can't be completely fixed without doing more harm than good, the trim (it will be trimmed) can be used, along with one paint color, to trick the eye...

suzyq53 - you made me smile on a challenging day - the rail will run along the "platform" in this photo to create a little balcony... the functional window in a non-functional place doesn't bother me at all - that was a consideration for symmetry on the outside...

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Brenda Waggoner - thanks, I hear you loud and clear - I don't think the dormer window is the hill I'm going to die on, but my off-center dining ALCOVE may be - who can't center a window in an alcove??!! Drywall highlights everything.

• Brenda Waggoner
    6 years ago
    Good luck Sue. That may be a hill.
    Sue Smith thanked Brenda Waggoner
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

This all starts with the "framer". When the framing isn't done well, guess what?! It all rolls down hill. The dining room window has to be moved. They just took the easy way, by using the stud locations put in by ..... the framer! Big job to take this all out and redo it. But, the only other solution will be to disguise with drapery but that will be tricky as well. One thing leads to another. Domino effect!

Sue Smith thanked Flo Mangan
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

OMG! Sue - I had to go take a Xanax. That dining room window was too much for me. Looks like they are about to install the trim which may make it worse. And the outlets! I see why the dormer window needed to match the rest and really didn't think the crookedness was a huge deal until you showed the little balcony which will have a great view of it. What does the builder say?

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

...and there's no drapery disguise for the cock-eyed bump-out...

three years of dreaming, planning, hard work subject to someone's "close enough" window installation... I am crushed.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

And you point this stuff out and the builder just keeps going?

• Marigold
    6 years ago

we had a window framed off centre in our recent build. thankfully our GC spotted it before drywall, and it was replaced.
    we also had 2 dormer windows that, once installed, looked oversized to me. We had agreed with the design, so we paid to replace them. For a couple of grand, it is not worth staring at something you will dislike every time you see it.
    I can't see your dormer problem, but I would not be able to tolerate the alcove. I don't think it can even be disguised with drapes, given the positioning of the outlets below.
    Building is so stressful. I hope it works out.

Sue Smith thanked Marigold
  • Sue Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'll know on Monday - it was a big week for siding and drywall and these things were just not obvious before then... it's always in the early, quiet Saturday morning hours that problems jump out at me - ha ha that's when I should meet with my builder... Very early on, the framer mismeasured and built the dormers too large and also installed the one over the front door off-center, the front door also being off-center - to my builder's credit it was all torn out and redone... but to say it was uncomfortable would be an understatement... the 140" slider in my family room was also installed wrong, but I let that go because I didn't want any problems with the door - the header is HUGE, the door is huge... I'm hopeful the builder will do the right thing by us once again with the dining room window, but you lose so much ground with re-work - timing, quality - just break out a ruler or level in the first place... I really just wish I wasn't in the position of pointing out the errors - identify them yourself & self-correct, I say :)

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Yes it looks like whoever installed the outlets knew how to center them on a wall, but in this case that may not be a good thing. Ouch! So sorry. Please try to get some of this fixed if you can. This is going to bug you and its going to bite you when you go to sell.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Yep but now is the time to address all this; before the siding goes up. Good luck!

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

suzyq53 - you continue to make me smile in spite of it all - I'm going to try Xanax... the builder has promised to fix everything, but my anxiety level is still pretty high...

Happy Thanksgiving!