Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacklynbradshaw16

Wood wall and wood ceiling, what do I do with the floor??

jacklynbradshaw16
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am wanting some ideas of what I should do with the floors. I really don’t like these floors because I feel like it’s too much wood!

Comments (18)

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

I like the floors better than the walls ... those walls would drive me crazy, I’d have to remove or paint them but it’s your house. Maybe a large area rug covering most of the floor is your answer. I’m sure others will suggest something.

• jacklynbradshaw16
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well the problem is we are remodeling my grandmas home while she lives with us. This is the only room she doesn’t want us to remove the paneling from. So now I have to figure out what to do with the floor. My grandfather built it like 40 years ago.

• jacklynbradshaw16
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The floor is just that fake wood, that snaps into place. I think it’s vinyl.

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

Got it :). Many older people are resistant to change & I’m sure she probably has some pleasant memories in her home.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Would she be open to painting the ceiling white (leaving the beams wood)? That would brighten things up a ton.

For the floor, if that is wood you could suggest painting it. Painted floors can be very cute and when the time comes to sell they could be refinished to the natural wood and the panelling removed or painted. If they are not wood, I'd hold off on doing anything until the time comes to sell them develop a plan for the whole room.

ETA I was tapping g while you posted. Leave the floor, paint the ceiling.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Also changing to a cooler colour lightbulb will de-yellow things a lot.

• jacklynbradshaw16
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We aren’t selling. We will live here forever probably, that’s why we are remodeling now and adding on. I don’t think she will let us do anything to the ceiling or walls. I am already replacing the rest of the floors throughout the home cause they are messed up a few places.

Picture shows how’s how the room leads into the kitchen. (With my sweet granny cooking turkey)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

If she wants the paneling, okay. Paint the ceiling and beams off white.

Love this chunky off white wool rug from Wayfair. Go as large as you can.

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

Open the curtains all the way ( or replace with white sheers). Add a bright, large, colorful rug. Turn off the overhead lights....forever....and use only lamps.

• jacklynbradshaw16
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My family (my uncle and aunt) act like that paneling is just super expensive and coming back in style. They told me I would be stupid to take it off but I literally hate it. Are they correct at all?

• K Laurence
    6 years ago

No ....

• ponytail61
    6 years ago
    I love the floor and the fact your grandpa did them defiantly paint the celling that off white. cream color and rug add a pop of colour like turquoise and tan graphic pillows or some draps on each side of window will help the couch not look so bulky and break up the darkness
  • ponytail61
    6 years ago
    ps keep the beams in wood people pay a lot to add beams to a home to get that look
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

You're remodelling grandma's home while you live with her. I know this isn't the feedback you want, but Grandma's wishes trump all. Whether the panelling is worth money or is stylish is irrelevant because grandma wants it in her home.

Improving the lighting and updating the drapes, painting the ceiling if allowed will help tremendously and the walls, you overlook.

• Jean Doherty
    6 years ago
    Too much brown. In addition to a white ceiling, and white window coverings, get white lampshades and colourful throw pillows. I am assuming the couch and chair stay.
  • jmdrouin
    6 years ago

JacklynBradshaw 16 the paneling that is in that room is the cheap version of an expensive version of inch thick, real, natural wood paneling that was popular through the 50's to the 1970's. The cheap version is never coming back in style and the type of wood panel it knocks off is only popular in houses from the 1950's to 1970's and only by the very small population that loves that type of housing. My grandparents had the exact same paneling in the dining room that your grandmother has and choose to paint it a creamy off white color that is warm at night with all the lights on. See if your grandmother would be willing to paint the paneling and the ceiling. In order not to have a stark white ceiling do a half ceiling white and half wall paint color mixture to get a slightly lighter but not stark white. Also see if your grandmother would be willing to get a laminate wood floor or tiles floor installed.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

perhaps if you showed her this, you may be able to paint the ceiling. that flat plywood isn't doing anyone any favors. can't imagine why she wants to look at that.

you can do pine planks, cut up plywood into boards, or use beadboard or any tongue and groove planks. it will also lighten up the cave look.

Notice the painted paneling too.

no that paneling wasn't expensive, and no, it will never come back into style. Not that kind of look.

If you do get to paint, here's a good how to. (show her these pics too!)

https://cabindiy.com/how-to/paint-paneling/

as for the flooring, get a large rug to cover most of the floor. that sisal or jute pictured above is perfect.