Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamao1956

What kind of window treatments?

mamao1956
6 years ago
We are redecorating our family room with a budget. The wall color is changing to something more neutral (tbd). We have new leather sofa and love seat and rug. The windows have blinds but I'm wondering about draperies. I have questions: leave the blinds and add drapes? We formerly had a box valance over the blinds. If we leave the blinds how do we mask the blinds header. Panels on both sides of the windows or just the outside as there is only about a foot between the window and fireplace? What suggestions do you have?

Comments (30)

• mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Surely someone has an opinion! Please?
  • apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Some blinds have a built-in space for a decorative insert at the header. Try a few close up photos of the header on your blinds. Look for the brand name, usually on the bottom slat.

• mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Beverly! Your comment about the recliners is on point. The old sofa and loveseat were not recliners and we will eventually replace the chairs. The tv is on the wall opposite the sofa (the lamp is not normally there). The rug was a sample to see if we liked it; it is a 8 x 11 and we have ordered a 10x 13. The room looking small must be the angle because it is a good size room - I think 16 x 20.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Is this what you were talking about apple pie order? The blinds are Bali.
  • PRO
    Sharp and Grey Interiors
    6 years ago

Have you thought about shutters? I would also think about hanging drapery panels high (above the arch), but it looks like the window may be too close to the moulding.

• mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes Sharp and Grey it would de hard to do drapes above the arch. The crown molding was notched for the arches. Would shutters fit with that narrow space between the windows and fireplace?
  • M E
    6 years ago

I have a similar set up with two windows close to a fireplace. I wrestled for a year trying to decide what to do. I was worried putting panels all the way around (including corner Windows ) would look to jammed in plus we have a natural fireplace and I was worried about fire hazard with the panels too close to the fire. So decided on roller shades. It works for us. Your Windows have the arched top but I think you could mount them like your current blinds are mounted.

• mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    What a lovely room, M E. Thank you for your suggestion.
  • Sharon
    6 years ago
    This is how we solved the problem of the circular Windows above large rectangular Windows. We get strong morning sun so we had to cover the moons. We then have woven blinds and drapes on lower Windows.
  • Sharon
    6 years ago
    Cellular shades are in the 1/4 moon Windows.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sharon, you have my exact room set up! Thank you for the peak!
  • PRO
    Sharp and Grey Interiors
    6 years ago

The shutters would mount inside the window frame, so they wouldn't be mounted on the wall space.

• mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sharon, you have our exact room design! Thanks for the peak!
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you Sharp and Grey.
  • Sharon
    6 years ago
    My rods and drapes came from Overstock. Woven blinds from Home Depot and cellular from American Blind and Wallpaper. None was overly expensive. Also my rods have a curved end so grommet drapes can be stacked tightly.
  • lynartist
    6 years ago
    I don’t think I would do drapes here. I do think you should have used a darker woven wood or blind though. If you want softness you can do Roman shades.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lynartist, I know what you’re saying about the darker shades. My fear was all the wood already in the room - library peeling and hard wood floors. Depending on time of day it can be a little dark in there.
  • PRO
    STUDIO MB
    6 years ago

The arched window are a stand alone and need not "fluffing" so keep it simple.

• lynartist
    6 years ago
    Your windows are really lovely but the white blinds don’t relate to anything in your room. I realize a darker blind would make it darker in here but would enhance the beautiful woodwork of the windows. If you painted the room a soft , off white that would help too as well as better lighting. Roman shades in a textured, warmer toned fabric would look softer and also look beautiful with the wood tones. Leave the arch top open.
  • Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    I would use sheer linen curtains either swagged to one side or hang on a arched rod inside frame, that way they still give you privacy but don't hide the window detail, lovely room
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you again lynnartist. One of our first houses had bamboo Roman shades. It also had orange shag carpet! But it was the early eighties! I’ve shied away from Roman shades since then but maybe it’s time to look into the 2017 version! We do plan on lightening the paint color but need to coordinate w the dining room that is SW Restrained Gold and has burgundy/red accents. There are a lot of colors to choose from in the rug, but also a lot of pattern there. Would I be better off to go with a plain fabric or is there a pattern that would go well?
  • lynartist
    6 years ago
    There are so many more choices now but I would keep it fairly simple as you will have them for some time and you may change other things in your room . It’s easier to change the pattern of some throw pillows than your window treatments. If you do a cream textured fabric you can do contrast banding for more interest.
  • PRO
    Sharp and Grey Interiors
    6 years ago
    I also like the Roman shade idea if you don’t need to block light at the top :)
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate you taking time to comment.

Beverly, the more I thought about your comments the more insulted I became. My home is not a mansion, but a comfortable size. Why we would ever have so many recliners in one room? We started with the pieces that needed replacing and will go from there -budget is a factor. I’m sorry if your perception is that the furniture is too big; I don’t agree as I sit in the room. I did appreciate the rug diagram and when the bigger rug arrives I will refer to it. I apologize if I’m sounding harsh, it’s just that I couldn’t get your comments off my mind.
  • PRO
    Finishing Touches
    6 years ago

Your wood trim is very pretty! To stay with in a budget, I would recommend replacing the white blinds with Norman wood blinds. I love Norman because they fabricate their blinds with no holes between the slats, they have a ton of colors to match the trim color, and they make a great product. I just installed some on a home and they were beautiful!

See photos below.

• mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you finishing touches! I’ll look into them right now.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Finishing Touches, where do I find Norman wood blinds? All,I can find are faux wood and they don’t come in the wood tones. I did photo shop (very clumsily) the wood blinds into the room and it does look better!
  • PRO
    Finishing Touches
    6 years ago

You need to find a company in your area that sells Norman. Go to the Norman site-http://www.normanusa.com/NormanContactUs.asp

You can then find out who sells them in your area.

• Kelly Henson
    6 years ago
    The Shade Store https://www.theshadestore.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand - National - M&utm_term=the shade store&utm_content=General - Exact has a great selection of Roman Shade fabrics. We did our home using them. Great customer service, great design help and if available they have local contractors to measure and install.