mpfam7

Kitchen Design

mpfam7
I need help with the kitchen design We are using a design build firm and we discussed an L shaped kitchen with an 8x5 island. To me this seems to be a U shaped kitchen. I would like to relocate the frig/freezer so the space along the wall is open, leaving space so the island could be oriented the other way (with stools backing to eating area). By leaving that wall blank, we will lose storage but it seems with a pantry and dry bar we should have enough storage.

My questions are: How could I arrange the kitchen to get the island the opposite way? We have five kids and feel the island seating is crucial.
2. Do you think this kitchen should have more windows?
3. Would it be odd to have the sink and stove on the same wall?

Any other ideas are welcomed- I want to get this right. Thanks!

• Lori
    I agree with changing the layout of the island -- with all those kids it would be much better. You can
    move the frig down - do you have a separate frig and freezer? I would just get an all in one unit and move it down. Also when you turn the island you still might have room for like shallow cabinet storage on that wall that went floor to ceiling with no counter tops. You would have to see, but it could be as shallow as maybe 10 inches, which would give you great storage but also not interfere with your island.
    I would not move the sink or stove -- they seem fine there. I think one large window and the slider/french door in dining area should give you plenty of light. Although I would not do a garden window. i would just do a nice large window as drawn that extends beyond either side of the sink.
  • mpfam7
    I had not thought about the shallow storage idea- would probably keep provide storage and not take up as much room- I think we will be okay on storage though - just not sure if an empty wall would look bare. I hadn't thought about the type of window above the sink- what are the pros/cons of garden vs. regular? I'm not tied to either, just what the designer put there so looking for which is better. Thanks for your ideas!

Designer vs kitchen designer

Casandra, it is cheapskate here! Can you sketch out your current kitchen for us so we can see the layout issues? Or if you don't know how to do that, explain the space wall by wall in detail? SandyC, not saying at all that anyone else should do what I did. I did take years to think what I wanted. A lot of the reason is there was always something else to spend the family funds on, like vacations, braces for kids, etc. But I knew that someday I would put the money into the kitchen. So the redesign process was a hobby or sorts!

Kitchen Design Dilemma. ?'s Architects, Interior Design & Milleniums

Sophie Wheeler. I think I may have not explained myself properly. The pictures posted are not reflecting what I am doing. I was using them to reflect an item done by others, such as the soffits with recessed lighting or no soffits with uplighting? I must update the kitchen, it is worn and quite small for the space that is available. I will be spending between 10% - 15% of the home value in the remodel. How would I accomplish updating an 80's contemporary home with what is available on the market today?

After 3 kitchen design(s)

@ camille468 So far so good, I'm happy with our purchase. I usually wipe the hood with soap (Dawn) & water and use the Lysol wipes for the doors and drawers so far no discoloration, peels or any weirdness.

Kitchen design.I'm working on my kitchen design. What do you think?

Fro what you’ve shown, assuming the kitchen designer had the dimensions when they did the cabinets, it looks like the aisles on either side of the island are going to be cramped. When you open the oven door, it will be very tight to stand between the open door and the island. The current island placement also blocks the path between the sink and fridge. i know islands are all the rage, but it’s not really the best use of space in what you’ve shown. Are you working with an independent kitchen designer, or someone who works for the place where you’re buying the cabinets?
  • lefty47
    HI -- Take the angle of cabinets that has the fridge - off . Put the fridge (maybe one fridge with freezer bottom drawers) in the corner , right of the stove ,- the stove needs to be moved to the left a little closer towards the sink . Now you can turn the island the other way and have the stool seating backed to the dining area and you may be able to add one more seating area to the length of the island.. With the plan shown the major appliances are too far apart. The window over the kitchen sink could be expanded going left and there is also room to add to the base cabinet and counter or you can have a larger patio door . Your not really losing that much cabinet space , there is still a lot and the island should have lots of storage also .But this will work better for you and the family . Perhaps the butlers section could be better used with half of that used as a full pantry cabinet. When putting the fridge in that corner have a narrow full height pullout cabinet on the right side so the fridge doors function properly. Make sure you have a full depth cabinet over top the fridge and a panel on the left side ,so the fridge looks built in.
  • Lori
    I think an empty wall is okay, but shallow storage will look nice -- and let's face it, you can never have too much storage.
    As for garden windows, they are old-fashioned. A nice large beautiful window would be so cool! As for the stove, I would leave it centered on that wall.
    As for the frig, once you turn the island you don't have to move it as far down as you would think - but I would leave it on that wall, make sure it is fully enclosed with nice panels, put shallow storage next to it -- it would look great. See if your kitchen people can give you a 3d plan - you will be able to see how it will look and I am sure that would help. Also, you could put some open storage in the shallow part of the wall if you wanted, maybe for cookbooks and maybe just a space to hang some pictures/kids art/etc.

I agree that you could totally add bottom cabinets to the left of the sink towards the french door - you just have to make sure your walkways are still adequate. You could also then add one or two upper cabinets. I would put glass doors in the two cabinets on either side of the sink.
    Keep thinking things through and don't do anything in a hurry - I have always found this to be the best advice!
    My only other question is are you only going to have one oven? If so, I would suggest that you rethink that. When we were redoing our kitchen, we were only going to hvae one oven, but my good friend kept hounding my how I would be unhappy if we did that. Finally after listening to her I relented and we put in a second oven. We have a 36 inch gas stove with a gas oven and a 24 inch electric wall oven. I am so glad I listened to her. We have never regretted this decision and seeing as we have a big family and entertain a lot I really wonder "What was I thinking!" Of course, I needed two ovens. If your cooktop is a stove/cooktop you can just leave that and then I would put an electric oven in the island . Just food for thought!
  • Lori
    I should say gas cooktop/ stove and an electric wall oven
  • Lori
    depends on what that windows overlooks -- if you have kids and the other sink position overlooks the backyard, you would want to leave it there. If that is not an issue, I think that is a fabulous idea!
  • Fred S
    It does not sound like your builder was listening to you at all.
  • mpfam7
    I appreciate all of your helpful suggestions.
    Lori- we are going to include the additional oven- good thought, also going to nix the garden window
    Oellien- we are going to keep the sink and stove as is because the view from the sink wall is very nice where the stove faces another house. We are going to incorporate additional windows on the sink wall though-great touch
    Lefty47- yes, the work triangle is too large so we will have the refrigerator on the long wall and put the extra oven along the short wall.

I think with all of these switches, we should be able to flip the island and make it at least 8 feet long.

Any thoughts on..would extra oven be better off as part of island or around the corner from new refrigerator placement?

If I need to prioritize- should I include butler pantry or turn it into a desk for computer/work station?

Also, I have seen double sliders, where two sliding glass doors come together but slide away from each other to create a larger opening, it turns out to be an 8-10 foot glass wall with a 4-5 foot opening. Any reviews on these?

Thanks for all of your help!!
  • Lori
    I think the oven could go either place depending on how it looks in the layout. Have both options shown in 3d and then make a decision.

My sister has those double sliders -- they are beautiful. Expensive,but they sure look nice and really open up the space.

I think you could do one tall pantry and then a small desk next to it, if that is what you need. You need to figure out if you need the additional storage. When I did my kitchen before I even started it, I made a diagram and planned where "Everything" would be stored. That way I knew that I had enough space. Each drawer was designated like dishtowel, pots and pans, tupperware, etc. Also all along the bottom of my kitchen I only included big drawers, not doors ( not even doors with slideouts-- these are not that great). The only exception was under the sink. These big drawers make such a difference as they can store so much. They may cost a little extra in the beginning, but this is an expense that is well worth it. I will attach a picture so you can see what I mean.
  • Lori
    sorry the picture is so fuzzy and I will see if I have a better picture of the drawers.
  • Lori
    so there are a lot better pictures if you search "large drawers" in the kitchen section of Houzz. I found a few really good images, but did not know how to refer them to you. Look especially at the really long drawers -- they hold sooooo much.
    Actually in my picture here the second drawer in the middle section holds my ceramic/glass serving bowls. I just counted them - they are various sizes from large salad type bowls to small dip bowls -- and I have 28 bowls in that one drawer. It is also much easier to see what you have stored in a large drawer that pulls all the way out versus a cupboard that you have to reach in to. Good luck in your decisions -- I hope someday to get to see a picture of the finished project!
  • Dar Eckert
    Have you considered putting the range in the island? I love mine because instead of facing a blank wall, you face the windows, people at the island and TV. Then you can put the refrigerator on the long wall but not directly behind the range.
  • Lori
    Hi Dar - do you have kids? I know this isn't my kitchen, but I would never put the range in the island with children. It is so much nicer to be able to use the whole island for kid stuff -- and then also you have to worry about cooking at the island when they are sitting there.
  • Dar Eckert
    Yes, I do (did). But I actually like them sitting at the island while I am cooking and I like sitting there when my husband is cooking too. We've never had an incident but the counter is bar height with sets you away from the cooking at counter height.
  • Lori
    cool! We just all have to figure out what works for us.
  • mpfam7
    Dar- we did have a range built into an island in a previous house. It worked out well but we didn't have kids at that time. I can see if your island is different heights it could work really well. We kind of want a "pretty hood" with it so it will have to be on a wall.

Lori- It sounds like drawers are the way to go- I haven't thought that much about where all of my things will be stored- one more thing to do- will check houzz for more images of large drawers.

Thanks -
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    I don't know if this was already thrown out there, but you don't even need to change the direction, just make the island a little wider and add seating for two at the end, so your seating will be L shaped.

That walkway is too wide anyway between island and fridge.
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    Like this..:)
  • Lori
    I dothink Aggie's option is doable and would be fine. It really all depends on what you want. If I did that option, I would put the extra oven maybe inthe wall by the frig and put a microwave above it.
  • mpfam7
    Hi Aggie, That is definitely an idea and the island would then seat all of the kids. I thought we would be tight on walkway space- I was planning on 31/2 ft. for walkways.
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    Hi:) Are the measurements accurate? You can have larger walkways than 3.5ft if I am reading the plans correctly. There are other ways to solve the seating issue as well, if you wanted a better symmetry, by placing the seating counter with two base columns at the end with (3) seats, facing range and (2) Seats facing each other. If these are die hard measurements, I can lay it out.
    Nick Dellos Creations
    What if you put something on the island?
    The stovetop for example. A hood floating in the center might be fun. Or a small sink. I would move the fridge closer to the other items. If you are spending so much money I might ask them for 3 different concepts and then hire a rendering in 3d for your favorite. Good luck!
  • mpfam7
    Hi Aggie, the measurements we have is that the kitchen will be 17'6" from the long way. I had measured 2' counter + 3 1/2' walkway + 8 foot island+ 3 1/2' walkway-and maybe go with some very shallow storage like Lori suggested (under a foot) to round it out - or increase the island to 8 1/2'- that's why I was hoping to relocate the refrigerator. But maybe I am missing something..?

Nick- I don't want the cooktop there but have thought about a prep sink but don't know if I would really use it. Is it something you use often?

Thanks for the ideas
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    You can have a beautiful space here, like your inspiration photos, I would do down to counter dishes storage with glass doors on the other side by the sink (like in one of your idea book photos) , and leave the basic layout alone. Drawing time!

Is this custom cabinets, what is the ceiling height, and what size are the Fridge Freezer?
  • lefty47
    HI -- I promise , you will love a prep sink on the island . Great for trimming veggies etc. and entertaining - makes a great ice bucket . Also because the island is fairly large,- also put in a pop-up electrical socket fixture . Search on Houzz for one to see what I mean.
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    Well basically, hard to explain in words...

But Island seats 5, Oven in the Island, and back up sink, storage, maybe another trash bin there for prep from fridge,

Sink Elevation, two dishwashers to the left from sink, empty them in the dishes storage above, trash to the right,

Wall Cabinets, appliance garage,

Microwave is in an open wall cabinet next to fridge,

Magic Corners in Both Corners,

Lots of Drawers,

Tray Storage Base next to range and maybe pull out spices, etc on the other side

Bar is Bulters Pantry, Regular Pantry, Beverage Fridge, glasses storage,

You know along those lines :)
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    Dishes Storage
  • Lori
    Love it -- I think this is fabulous. The only thing I would change is more drawers. You still have a lot of door storage. I would change it all out to drawers - even in the cabinets by the table I would put banks of three drawers on the bottom left and right. I also would add drawers in the two sections to the right of the sink. I do think this is a wonderful plan. Hope that you mix up finishes and countertops -- that will look great. Keep us posted as you make decisions - can't wait to see the outcome!
  • mpfam7
    Hi Aggie, I love your ideas! Especially the down to counter dishes storage. We will probably opt for only one dishwasher- unless we have a party, it is ample. Our ceilings are 8'. Currently, we have a full size refrigerator and full size freezer that appear to be one unit - 64" across. We trying to decide if we should keep or not. We got them as floor models so they were just under $1000 and have worked out great but they are 7 years old and will take up so much wall space. If we plan our cabinets around them and one or the other breaks down any time soon, I don't think we would want to replace again with such large units. We are considering going with a larger french door unit. They are Kenmore Elite.
    ACProducts
    Do you still need help with this design? Try an island like this if you relocate the refrigerators to the stove wall.
    ACProducts
    File did not upload trying again.
  • tingeofbay
    Hi, the most important thing in a kitchen is to consider the distance beteewn the stove, refrigerator, and sink---think of this as your working triangle the distance should be reasonable for active cooking, you don't want to traverse the kitchen to get the milk. For this layout I would move the stove down and put the refrigetator-freezer all on one wall with a 30 to 36" space between them (counter and cabinets) then rotate the island. If you have little kids or teens consider an under the counter refrigerator just for drinks and kid snack this will help them learn to be more independent and keep them out of the large fridge. I personally don't like cook tops on an island the venting hoods always make to much noise and hinder active conversation. This is such a great way to plan a kitchen. Good luck!
  • mpfam7
    Hi ACProducts, I like that idea, it looks great! Unfortunately, my eyes are so bad- I'm having a hard time reading it on the screen. Is there a way to enlarge it so I could print it out.
  • laralynn1217
    I love the idea of having stools on two sides of the island. I have three stools in a row at my island and I find myself standing across from or perpendicular to the people sitting there so I can see them when we are talking.

I would really consider a larger space between the island and cabinets- closer to 48". I am so happy we did that spacing because I feel the island can breathe and the space allows people to move around the kitchen without running into each other.

If you do a desk area, I would suggest a bank of many drawers below a counter top, not an open desk. With your table and your stools, you may not really ever "sit" at a true desk. Plus you add more storage to hide all that ugly paper clutter we all have and the drawers work well. I had my counter guy cut a hole in the top that allowed me to place all my phone and iPad charging wires through the hole to a plug underneath inside the base cabinet. Love to hide those wires!
    ACProducts, inc.
    We are glad to see you are getting some good advice from our pros after we posted your request on our FB page! Here is another kitchen cabinets dealer that wants to chime in: 'Salvatore A Vigliotti - If you go to http://cabinetsandflooring.com upload the pdf of your blueprint I would be glad to design your kitchen." Good luck!
  • mpfam7
    Hi All, I have really appreciate all of the advice- it has given me alot to think about. I 've been reading articles on Houzz on kitchen layouts. We decided to change the dimensions of our kitchen from 17'6" x 14" to 21'6"x 10'. All of the U shaped layouts that I liked had a longer center wall with two short walls. By doing this, we should be able to have a center island about 8' long. I will post a picture tonight and to see what the experts think. This website has been very helpful!