Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slz75

Help with kitchen design please !

slz75
6 years ago
We are buying this house and I am conflicted about how to redo the kitchen . We want to do white 42 inch cabinets and dark wood floors. Do we keep the peninsula or put in an island ? If we do an island I am afraid we will have to eliminate the seating area that currently exists. Thanks in advance !

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

As far as I can see you do not have space for an island and if you are doing new floors there I hope you are running them everywhere as it looks like carpet in the next room. If you post a floor plan you will get some ideas but that fridge has got to be changed to a counter depth for sure.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

Congratulations on the new home.

It looks like there is lot of space in the family room. I'd have a designer look at the entire space, instead of just the kitchen footprint.

When I redesign one room for a client, I always ask to see the entire house, so that all possibilities are explored.

Just for an example: There is the possibility of the kitchen being expanded all the way to the railing. Without more photos, I can't be sure. This would allow for a large island and seating bar along what is now the railing. Then, the dining table could be placed in the family room. Flooring would need to be changed.

We also don't know what other adjacent rooms look like or what your needs are.

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    Good advice above.
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

Based on the pictures there isn't any room for an island. Not all kitchens function better with them and yours actually has a good layout right now. I agree with swapping the fridge for a counter depth one (it will make it feel more open, trust us). Since you're getting new cabinets I would take that opportunity to relocate the microwave and get a vent hood. It just makes a kitchen look higher end and you'll love it.

• Kim Elliott Lintgen
    6 years ago
    That looks similar to our kitchen (also just bought the house) and we are having the same debate. We have a formal dining room on the other side of the kitchen so I'm fine with getting rid of the second table as long as we have seating at the island. Here's what we are currently considering for the layout and a picture I found that looks similar.
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

It is hard to fit an island into a U shaped kitchen in most homes and in such a kitchen the island often disrupts traffic flow between fridge, sink and range. You could do an L shaped kitchen with an island. You might lose storage, but you might not need it, or you might be able to do some narrow pantry cabinets or closet along the wall the fridge is now - but no fridge or standard lower cabinets on that side.

• slz75
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments ! There is a separate formal dining room so I am fine with adding an island and eliminating the peninsula and using the island as our kitchen table. That is what we currently do in our current home which is a more modern open concept space. I do agree that the peninsula works well but I really love my current large island and feel like it will offer more storage . I also want to do a larger oven if I can. I don’t think the island would work without getting rid of the peninsula. I also agree that we should live there for awhile to get a feel for what would work for us. But I am really excited to plan the new design !
  • slz75
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Kim I love the picture of your proposed design ! That could maybe work for us .
  • slz75
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Our kitchen area is 10x 12 and the dining area is 15 x 8 so I think we can put a nice sized island if we get rid of the peninsula
  • PRO
    Nanke Signature Group
    6 years ago

Congratulations on your new home!!

Kitchen islands -as opposed to peninsulas- tend to give a more welcoming and open feel. To fit an island in this space, it may have to be sized down so much as to look out of scale with the rest of the space. Perhaps consider the option of keeping the peninsula and building a bench-seat dining table off of it. This will soften the wall of the backside of the peninsula and create a welcoming feel without compromising space and storage.

Best of luck with your project!

• slz75
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you ! I also thought about this idea ! Love it !
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Although an island is nice and modern you simply do not have the space.

J Design Group
    225 Malaga Ave
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Ph: 305-444-4611
    https://www.JDesignGroup.com

• PRO
    Bayberry Cottage
    6 years ago

It doesn't seem like you have the space for an island, however you have been give lots of sounds advice it seems. Live in your new home and see how you feel for a little bit. Then, later consult a designer and see if it is possible to expand into other areas if that is your wish.

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

I wanted an island but it didn't fit. We instead put in a a peninsula with seating. We love it.

• sillycannoli
    6 years ago
    Getting rid of the peninsula will not make the space between the left and right walls bigger. You do not have room for an island.
  • slz75
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Aunthelma do you have a pic of your kitchen ?
  • auntthelma
    6 years ago

Yes. Check back in on Monday. I'm at the wrong computer.

• btydrvn
    6 years ago
    It is never too soon to start planning........and in my mind re-doing the kitchen before you move in is preferable.......also ....with adjacent spaces available and a complete remodel planned ......it is really smart to get professional help .......your job can be to assemble a list of the things that are important to you functionally and perhaps provide pictures from Houzz photos that really appeal to you aesthetically........lastly......the one feature I appreciate more than any other is an easy access...as large as possible ....pantry
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    One more thought as to the flooring...if you are going to do a dark floor....it is worth the effort to select a wood color that has nice grain/color variations......this will avoid every speck showing on the dark background.......
  • slz75
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks ritasj! Good advice !
  • Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

If you have a 12' space, you have 2' on each side for cabinets. You only have 8' (96") for 42" of space between the island and the sink and 42-48" of space between the island and the refrigerator which is a minimum of 84". So you have enough space for a 12" island.

Leave the peninsula or steal space from another room. What you want cannot conflict with the limitations of your space.

Before you do anything, think about a kitchen designer for a consultation to help you out. Well worth the money and will help you not make any costly mistakes.

Read these before you move forward....

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-dsvw-vd~4306041

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/things-you-added-or-removed-that-you-love-regret-in-your-kitchen-renov-dsvw-vd~4273188?n=74

Plan, plan, plan and then plan some more. Have almost all of your decisions, except paint color, planned in advance. Know what cabinet, flooring, countertops, sink, faucet, door pulls, etc. planned before you even consult a contractor. That way, he/she can give you a good estimate.

Do not be one of the many people that start without planning and then are desperate for help correcting one of the many mistakes they have made.

• PRO
    OPPEIN Group
    6 years ago

It is truly hard to put an island into an L-shape kitchen. One more thought to the floor color, if you want dark wood, your floor color may darken the whole kitchen making it dull.

• jhmarie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Oppein - did you mean U shaped kitchen? I see islands in L shaped frequently - that is how my kitchen is, but in U shaped, islands seem to block traffic.

Also, I like that kitchen - reminds me of mine:)

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

Pictures of my peninsula as promised. It gives us a ton of extra counter space.

• slz75
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Love it auntthelma ! Thanks for sharing !
  • Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

auntthelma, it looks very nice!

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

This is the before picture. The whole kitchen on one wall. There is a door right next to the range. If you look a the after pictures, only the refrigerator is in the same spot.

Where this half wall is became the peninsula.

• sjsshank
    6 years ago
    If you got rid of peninsula maybe a narrow island could work. Can you put in a seating nook/area against that area with railing? Bench area against railing etc.