Christmas in a country school Christmas at District 24

Comments (21)

• User
    6 years ago

Very cool!

seniorgal thanked User
  • Summer
    6 years ago

Thank you, seniorgal. I am looking forward to reading your stories.

seniorgal thanked Summer
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

Can someone help me? I'm not finding a new Christmas story. The link takes me to stories I've read and enjoyed, but not a Country School Christmas.....

I have the site in my Favorites, Seniorgal, but following the link from there brings me back to the same place too and no Christmas reading, last date is Laundry.

seniorgal thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • marylmi
    6 years ago

I am not seeing it either.

seniorgal thanked marylmi
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I also can't find it. I'm very excited to read it. I'm a huge fan of yours Seniorgal.

seniorgal thanked mamapinky0
  • bengardening
    6 years ago

I just found it you just have to keep scrolling down,

seniorgal thanked bengardening
  • seniorgal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The story is way down if you just scroll down. I have the free version of Word Press which hasn't many options. I think many of you may have read it earlier. I just thought it fit the season.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

Now I've found it. I must have scrolled too impatiently earlier. Thank you Seniorgal for another delightful story.

seniorgal thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • lovemrmewey
    6 years ago

In the search box, I put 'Christmas' and went right to it. Loved it again and picture it in my imagination. A welcome vision in today's world. Thank you again and love all your stories.

seniorgal thanked lovemrmewey
  • jemdandy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My goodness! What a gaggle of good stories. The descriptions of conditions of the time were spot on.

The first story about laundry day revived memories for me. It described my mother when we lived on a small farm, and whats more. the spellings were accurate phonetic portrayals of pronunciations that she used.

The description of the three young children leaving Ireland and taking passage on a ship to the American shore was excellent. That period was during the great potato famine in Ireland. The famine was partly created by a political situation. The poor of Ireland were kept poor and subservient to landlords who largely favored England. The Irish were used to produce food for England and were not allowed to keep the good food, mostly meat products. They were allowed to keep the food they grew in small gardens. At that time. potatoes were introduced to Europe but the upper class avoided the white potato as they considered it peasant food, or unfit food. As a result, the land barons ignored potatoes and the Irish found a species of potato, a white variety, that grew well in Ireland (hence the name, "Irish potato"). Their diet soon became potato based and they had something to eat. The population of Ireland rose to 8 million and then the potato blight hit. It decimated the potato crop throwing a multitude of Irish families into starvation. Meat was still being produced, but shipped to England. This triggered the great migration of the Irish. Most were destitute. but needed to leave. Many others died of starvation. The island could not support 8 million souls faced with the loss of the potato and their better foods being shipped away.

in a short time, the population of Ireland fell from 8 million to 4 million and stabilized. Today, the population remains at about 4 million.

seniorgal thanked jemdandy
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

I truly love reading your histories, seniorgal. I've read them several times. Your ability to weave memories is a wonderful talent.

I have read your stories to my sprites many times....you might be very surprised at what big fans of you they are.

seniorgal thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

Haven't read it yet but am looking forward to it very much. Thank you in advance!

seniorgal thanked nickel_kg
  • DawnInCal
    6 years ago

Thank you for an early Christmas gift, seniorgal! I enjoyed that very much and have bookmarked your journal so that I can go back and read more of your stories as time permits. They are a wonderful glimpse into the not so distant past and much more interesting than some of the dry books that I have read.

seniorgal thanked DawnInCal
  • seniorgal
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Just want to thank all who have made such kind comments. I think it will prompt me to get busy and write more stories.

Christmas, when you reach the advanced age of 95, is filled with nostalgia and some sadness, as names disappear from my Christmas card list. I am fortunate that I live near two of my children and some other relatives. There are some in my building who literally have nobody close. But--we make the best of what we have.

• Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

Please do write some more. Your stories are always enjoyable to read.

seniorgal thanked Adella Bedella
  • chisue
    6 years ago

My mother lived on a small farm in rural Rhode Island from the time she was three (1908) until, as my grandmother put it, "The bulls were starting to get over the fences." She was thirteen when the family moved from a house with a pump in the front yard and a wood stove. Her life on the farm was the setting of many a bedtime story for me. Her little one-room school left her over-prepared for the high school in NYC, but they held on to her until she was let go with a degree at age sixteen.

My DIL teaches in Chicago. Teachers are still emptying their pockets to provide 'extras' for their students.

seniorgal thanked chisue
  • Ali
    6 years ago

So nice to read such wonderful stories.

seniorgal thanked Ali
  • Bobbi
    6 years ago

I just skimmed through them and could tell I will enjoy sharing with the children. Thank you.

• marylmi
    6 years ago

A great story and I am enjoying the others too! Thank you for writing them!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    6 years ago

Very, very nice, I enjoy your stories.

Sue