Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Have you cut the cord to cable tv?

Emily H
6 years ago

I have more and more friends that have cancelled their cable and satellite subscriptions in favor of online streaming. How about you? Have you cut the cord?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes
No
Other

Comments (49)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

Cable up in Canada is ridiculously expensive and the channels aren't great. Best decision we ever made was stopping cable. We pretty much just stream online or use Netflix.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

not yet, but probably after christmas; we're getting rid of our landline too, which makes getting rid of cable make even more sense.

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

soon

• artsyphartsy_home_maker
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My sister in Cali has gotten rid of cable and watches all tv & movies online & they only use cell phones. My husband & I still have a land line as well as cells, and still have 'Direct TV' which uses a dish on the roof attached to a 'cable'. We hope to find other alternatives in the future & save some money while were at it too. Every time it thunder storms here we have no tv reception at all. I'm not overly techy & husband is worse than me, so not sure we will be able to pull off going cable free although we want to.

• Kim KP
    6 years ago

Nope. Can’t watch hockey on Netflix

• jmm1837
    6 years ago

Cable? vot is dis? I live in Australia, in a decent sized town 40m south of one of the two biggest cities - and I have to have a dish on my roof for subscription TV, along with a TV aerial for free-to-air channels. Of which there aren't many. We have to have a landline because we don't get an internet connection without one.

But the landline is on permanent answering machine, so all those nice ladies and gentlemen from Bangalore trying to sell us solar panels or LED lights don't get much of a hearing.

Let's just say, that, if we had a decent internet connection (and not one that's crashed for over a week three times this year) we'd be all in favor of streaming. But we don't, so we ain't.

• skmom
    6 years ago
    Yes, first dropped cable/satellite about 12 years ago. Since then we've had times here and there where we tried it again, but have always gone back to cutting it out. We got it again for the last summer olympics but were sorely disappointed with the coverage and realized we saw the best coverage by using our computer to live stream or something (my hubby found it, not sure what source he used, we were mostly interested in the springboard/platform diving and wanted to see ALL of the competitors since that is the sport our oldest son trains for) and we dropped it again soon after those olympics were over. We won't be tempted to try it again I think. We mostly use Netflix and an antenna for local stations and whatever else it happens to pick up.
  • smileythecat
    6 years ago

Several years ago, still have our landline however.

• Emily H
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I dropped my landline about 10 years ago, but we still have satellite television. For now....

• User
    6 years ago

I would, but my wife gets 2 votes and I only get 1.

• Belahn
    6 years ago

About 10 years ago. The sports fans are going to be the last hold out.

• graycern
    6 years ago

We haven't ever had cable but we did subscribe to satellite service. We cancelled that 2 and half years ago. I do not miss it at all. We have Netflix but we really don't watch much at all.

• mzloolue
    6 years ago

We have not had cable since 1985.

• gustaviatex
    6 years ago

Dropped cable about 5 years ago. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming plus my sister gave me a Starz subscription for my birthday. Occasionally I get a season's pass for a series that is only available on a cable channel. Local rabbit-ear TV is always there for news and weather, but with internet news sources you can compare coverage and make up your own mind. Oh, and I don't have a landline anymore, either.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

i have been getting all my tv but local on line since forever. my problem is my telephone requires a cable, were using phone line, but they went high so went to cable and now they are going up. maybe will drop magicjack. but cells seem to be expensive. plus all work at home jobs require cable for them.

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

We use sling and Amazon prime to stream

• Hello Kitty
    6 years ago
    Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix.
  • Margaret Schultz
    6 years ago
    Dropped cable 9 yrs ago, dropped my landline even longer ago. Streaming via Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc. Digital antenna for local channels.

Sports junkies are the last holdout.
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

ok sports fans, have you tried typing in the game and putting watch free on comp? many things are on utube and other spots. we are not on any pay channel and watch a wide varety, no sports though.

• User
    6 years ago

I'm old school. No cable, no satellite, no streaming. I have over the air TV only, with an antenna. And to boot, I still have old school huge analog TVs, with the digital converter boxes. I'm not much into getting rid of something expensive that still works, and they still work.....for now. But I will probably need to in a couple of years, but I'll still have over the air TV with an antenna. I don't watch much TV.

• teamaltese
    6 years ago
    This is something we discuss, but haven’t really made the effort. We have an antenna for free local stations, and basic cable (no premium channels), but only watch tv in the evening. We do not have a land line. Cell service has gotten bad, because thieves are constantly stealing the cell tower equipment.
  • champcamp
    6 years ago

I'm a sports fan and a cord cutter for 9 years. An antenna gets you games broadcast locally. You have to get more creative when your teams are out of your market and if big events are on networks like FoxSports or ESPN. I signed up for PlayStation Vue in October 2016 to watch the Cubs make their historic post season run because games were on TBS. I currently have Hulu to get the Olympic Channel and stream qualifying events prior to the 2018 Games. Online streaming is becoming much friendlier to cord cutter sports fans. There were multiple venues including Amazon Prime with which to watch the Christmas Day Steelers Texans game. YouTube now offers certain college games as well. I want to pay for what I will watch not a bunch of garbage.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Dropped it. We had TV, internet and phone through cable and then fiber optic came to our neighborhood at the same time Spectrum took over TimeWarner. We now do TV and internet through them and Verizon carries the landline for my husband's business. Now the only annoyance is waiting for season 3 of Stranger Things.

• suedonim75
    6 years ago

We live in a rural area with horrendous internet. We can't even watch a YouTube video on our phones, let alone stream TV. Hopefully Spectrum will run cable lines down our road. Time Warner wanted $5k to run the lines.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

sue, don't count on Spectrum for a price break. They took over in my area and raised the prices on us and most of our neighbors.

• suedonim75
    6 years ago

Oh, I don't expect a price break, just hoping they will run the lines. On our mile stretch of road, I am one of 5 houses that don't have cable lines. All of the houses to our North and South have cable lines.

• Bev
    6 years ago

I'm not a fan of online streaming! I like my cable!

• havingfun
    6 years ago

i am sorry bev, what is the dif?

• brett stimpson
    6 years ago

I got rid of a $100 direct tv bill a few years back. I have either roku or amazon tv. I watch my news live streaming on you tube or CBSN. My go to currently is netflix with so much great original programming.

• smileythecat
    6 years ago

Netflix is great especially with the original programming that Brett just mentioned, but it really is amazing the amount of lousy movies and tv produced every year that end up being on Netflix that you have to wade through to get to the good stuff.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

why is noone still doing free? We have never had to pay for anything, except occasional acorn, but have not even done that in a couple years.

• smit2380
    6 years ago

As long as I am married, we will have every cable channel plus Netflix and Amazon Prime. Now, the husband is wanting to add Hulu and the CBS streaming service. Argh!

• mikapika_
    6 years ago

Hello, newbie here from UK! We canceled our cable service and bought a youview box (you buy the box and it contains free channels with no subscription). We also have a roku stick which contains sky movies and entertainment, as well as Netflix and amazon prime tv. We pay £24 pm for all those channels and streaming services which is half of what we used to pay for less channels.

• Halina Siedlikowski
    5 years ago

We have never had cable and have relied on over the air programming. This suffices for the little tv watching that we do.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

How do you drop Xfinity cable & landline and not get gouged on the price by having to keep the Internet in order to stream on your computer or TV?

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

I got rid of cable a few years ago; I tried an antenna to watch TV but never used it, so I got rid of that too. There's a couple of current TV shows I still watch from their website (Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds), and a few I keep track of on YouTube (late night comedians), but otherwise I stream or watch DVDs. My only regret is that I miss Jeopardy, but even Jeopardy wasn't worth keeping cable.

• User
    5 years ago

Too much trouble to cobble together the channels we like. By the time we have added the premium channels as stand alones for streaming and paid for amazon, netflix, and the others, the savings wasn't worth the effort. My time is worth money and it's easier to go with one provider.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

ROKU for me! Plus a little antenna outside brings in local channels for local info.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

perhaps it is my fuzzy brain, but does roku require internet - or do i have to pay a roku service? Bev, even the gouging has not been enough to buy other cable. I just do not watch enough cable and we use magic jack. so we pay $55/month for direct tv and under $100/year for phone. cable and other intl shows are all streamed. we change out the companies we use every few months. always open to other thoughts.

• lindahambleton
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I used a great little antenna for years but now I have moved to rural middle Tennessee and I get nothing. ☹️ I am considering Com Cast streaming I'll see how the winter goes. I moved from Colorado and saw where there was a blizzard today and I was visualizing sitting in my chair watching football while the storm raged.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

Roku, like Chromecast, requires internet service to stream the programs. Roku and Chromcast are just the devices to stream them from the internet to your TV.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

oh we are used to doing that on our own. and am always fearful of companies tryingto steal stuff. most things can still be gotten on internet without a service. no longer tru for many movies, or at least at presentable time. i thought they were all offering current movies, sadly gone are the days where the judges would post their copies. all of a sudden most movies are 2 yrs old plus?

• Mary Ellen
    5 years ago

no cable, no satellite, no TV. Internet not fast enough for Netflix. Who has time anyway?

• havingfun
    5 years ago

tis ok netflix is not worth the money.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

" tis ok netflix is not worth the money. "

I agree, but I'm enjoying Britbox and Amazon Prime

• James Vallabro
    4 years ago

I haven't used cable TV for a long time. I don't understand the people who keep paying for it. This is not profitable at all

• Aphaea
    4 years ago

I sold my last television about 29-30 years ago and haven't seen anything on one since. I don't stream anything (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) but if there is a move or old television show I want to watch I see if YouTube or maybe DailyMotion has it.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I finally cut out cable in favor of Amazon Prime (Firestick), Hulu & Netflix.

My family shares the Netflix acct so I don't have to pay for that per month. Prime is $100 ? per year and the one time cost of the Firestick, I have one per TV, and I pay for HULU, and if there was any more to watch, I'd never get anything done around the house. I tried to save money by going with SLING TV but couldn't get MSNBC and I tried YouTube TV but also couldn't get MSNBC at the time. It may be different now. I'm happy. Additionally, there are lots of apps I can watch on my TV instead of the phone or computer and that keeps me happy.