Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What project will you take on in the new year?

Emily H
6 years ago

It's nearly 2018! Do you have any projects lined up for your house in the new year? We'd love to hear about it. What will you be working on? Let's hear it!

Comments (69)

• woodteam5
    6 years ago

Me too Janelle. Hope your kitty is doing well.

• Waynette Bailey
    6 years ago
    The whole damn house needs painting!
  • Bev
    6 years ago

Now that I have closed my Etsy shop and will have lots more time for my various home projects, I plan on painting more interior rooms in my house; making drapes, pillow covers, and dining room decor. I will eventually paint my bedroom furniture since it is 43 years old and needs redone.

• Kim KP
    6 years ago

Vistas Interiors, I did all of that to my kitchen last year. You’re going to wonder how you ever lived without the pull out shelves

• lindainv
    6 years ago

January 2nd, I begin restoring/refreshing the 20 year old guest bath. I'll be refinishing the knotty pine plank walls, solid pine entry doors (2), and the natural maple vanity cabinet. Also adding matching pine shelving. My hubby and I truly appreciate the beauty of natural, varnished wood. We have preserved it throughout our 20 year old home. I'll also install a tile floor, replacing the vinyl one. To complete, my Hubby's replacing the mish-mash vanity and overhead lighting, vanity and shower faucets, door knobs, pulls, and towel racks with coordinating ones. Depending on cost, we may replace the original shower doors which, although in excellent condition, are very dated. We hope to keep the total cost under $1000.

• bkind37
    6 years ago

Removing wallpaper and painting. It’s the last two rooms in our house that still have it. Even IF it becomes popular again - never again will I put it up. I sized the walls before applying and still having a horrible time removing.

• placid1968
    6 years ago

We are redecorating our family room and the informal dining area in our open kitchen. We are investing in higher end leather club chairs, new wool area rug, pillows, etc. in the family room. For the dining area we are having our Ethan Allen farm style table refinished and adding Parsons chairs with slipcovers. We will be eliminating the top from our old Ethan Allen hutch, and painting and adding new hardware to the buffet portion for a newer lighter look. Then new lighting fixtures in the dining area, foyer and kitchen. I want a fresh new look for us to enjoy, and will appeal to buyers in a couple of years when we downsize. I like being able to use some of our older favorites in a new and interesting way. I have priced other dining tables and to buy one similar to our old one the prices range from $2,500 - to $5,000. Unreal. Even if having our table costs around $1,000 - we are getting a better quality table than new and what a savings!

• krisdevaney
    6 years ago

Outside accent lighting and an outdoor fireplace

• amybaci
    6 years ago
    I would like to spruce up my front yard. Put some more curb appeal out there. I like to walk around my neighborhood and some of the neighbors have the prettiest yards, I’d like mine to be more interesting and cheerful!! Happy New Year everyone!
  • Helen Hart
    6 years ago

Bathrooms, 2. I’ve cherry picked ideas from Houzz n Pinterest; gathered my material and January 2nd it’s on! Master Bath 1st, new floor tile, vanity redo, new faucet, new toilet, mosaic backsplash, paint (thank you Martha Stewart!), baseboard trim, pocket door install, vanity lighting. Took before photos, demo pics. It’s a blank slate n ready to go!

• PRO
    Michael Byrd LLC
    6 years ago

New laundry room, new walk in pantry, new garage attached to house, with bedroom above for Grandson, new bathrooms and office downstairs with boys rooms split up and addition of a new bathroom,

• Halle K
    6 years ago

We have two projects on the 2018 docket: refurbishing the beautiful but neglected oak floors in the second story of our 1946 Cape Cod and - gulp - finding a structural engineer to salvage a drooping porch-cum-garage roof.

• djbittle
    6 years ago

Interior painting, top to bottom, maybe exterior if enough $$ are left. Then it’s on to the landscaping: I want to remove most of the front plantings and start over. The back, my sanctuary, needs privacy plantings and a new fence so I can be alone when on my deck.

• marymirella
    6 years ago

I need help remodeling my kitchen and 2nd floor bathroom. We have a lot of work to do in our 1930 tudor home. But we don't have a lot of money, cause our contractor left us stranded with work and he disappeared with the money. My husband is handy, but he cares for his elderly father, who suffers from Alzhemeir and parkisons. uhhh

• Linda Ross
    6 years ago

I want to renovate two small bathrooms upstairs that were last updated in 1979. One will have a tiled shower. The other will have a deep bathtub for soaking, with a shower. Existing vinyl floors will be replaced with tile. The house is a 1907 four square Craftsman, I want to keep that feeling using black and white tile and polished chrome fixtures. I would love to make the master bath large enough to have double sinks but at this point I’d have give up a bedroom closet with no good place to reposition it. I welcome suggestions.

• Carol Simmons
    6 years ago

Next is 1. Kitchen remodel, 2. hallway to basement, and 3. Outdoor space... yeah!

• Barbara Mahoney
    6 years ago
    Kitchen remodel - move one appliance!
  • Frank
    6 years ago
    After three years of major renovations done on our house, out buildings and yard, we finally placed an order for a Custom kitchen. So one step closer to complete our dream home in 2018.
  • Nicola Fazio
    6 years ago
    We will have our condo painted likely $2000. For 1000 sf
  • catodesign
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We've torn down our house and building a Farm House in the city! Suited entirely for our lifestyle as Grand Parents who want the room to entertain in a friendly spacious fun environment. We know too many friends who have downsized when the kids left and now the trend seems to upsize again so the family can come and visit comfortably for all! Pool and all the toys! This is NOT for resale investment, but for lifestyle enjoyment! We are fortunate to have a large lot where once sat a small bungalow. Foundation is in, subfloor is on and here we go!!!! Finished in Early Fall 2018! :)

• brazuca
    6 years ago

Paint bedrooms, get new TVs, add irrigation, and hopefully some art.

• Donna
    6 years ago

Building a 1250 sq. ft. cottage. :-)

• spindle22
    6 years ago
    Hopefully I will get over this nasty cold. Then I can think about what to do next.
  • gnumedia
    6 years ago

Reinforce porch floor, install radiant heat, stone flooring and new exterior French door to deck.

• kelseycon
    6 years ago
    In Feb we will open up a wall (partially) between the kitchen and living room to allow more light in. In the Spring we will put new siding on the house, and my husband will start building new kitchen cabinets to start our complete kitchen makeover that will more than likely stretch over 2 years time. Excited to start! Happy New Year!!
  • nicole___
    6 years ago

Adding whole house surge protection, a new sprinkler backflow preventer and carving a flagstone house number plaque with pine boughs on the side.

• PRO
    Prescott Window and Door
    6 years ago

After having replaced all the windows and doors and painting inside and out, but before flooring, before a kitchen remodel, is the backyard! Rectifying an underutilized yard with mountain views and nowhere to sit, to a deck, grass, pavers, a ramada and a butterfly/hummingbird garden. I have clipped SO many ideas from HOUZZ on landscaping in the last year!

• Nancy Matthews
    6 years ago
    we are redoing our kitchen after 25 yrs.... can't wait!
  • PRO
    Andrea Pellicani
    6 years ago

Continue fixing our 2nd Oregon crap shack. It was originally inhabited by werewolves if the walls and doors are indicators.

• Terri Brooks
    6 years ago

bathroom and walk in closet addition

• KD
    6 years ago

Replace floor in main bathroom, change out vanity in main bathroom. I’d like to redo the tiles in the bath alcove also but I’m not sure the budget will allow that. (Also after all the disasters here I’m convinced we’ll discover the waterproofing is done wrong and have to rip it all out.)

• shea42
    6 years ago
    Planning to save in advance for a remodel of two upstairs bathrooms. Will do most of the work ourselves. Also stairs to basement are currently carpeted and getting worn so will replace with hardwood. Some paint here and there and backyard garden's retaining wall has a couple sags that will need correction....it never ends!
  • John MacKenzie
    6 years ago

2018 plans are replace kitchen counter tops with Silestone, partial driveway paving replacement, repair driveway supporting RR Tie wall, re-roofing tear-off, finish upgrading interior trim, repairing plaster ceilings having prior leaks, repainting spots needing upgrades. I'm fearless!

• Cheryl Armanie
    6 years ago

I plan to renovate a small family room.

• capeanner
    6 years ago

A new roof and some fence replacement in FL due to hurricane Irma. Updated my kitchen up north this past summer and replaced some ceilings as I moved to my 1st floor apartment. Praying that I will not have to do another thing for many a year. I hate the hassle of house maintenance and renovations as all decisions are mine to make. No matter how much I learn through experience there's always a new problem and more decisions, not to mention expense!

• PRO
    Lakeside Architecture Inc.
    6 years ago

Hi,

We have several projects on the go but I am most exciting about a new modern cottage we are building on a Pencil Lake in Ontario. We have completed a topographic survey and an initial layout. It will have great views and we split the floorplan to suit the site and take advantage of daylight, wind patterns and of course the beautiful views of the lake.

I have included some very initial and rough sketches as well as my client's inspiration photo.

James.

• kabatson90
    6 years ago

Needing advice on reseeding thee lawn & killing out massive amounts of

black medic weed.

• navaho711
    6 years ago

Just finished my living room remodel, going to redo my downstairs bathroom and adding a new wrap around porch.

• User
    6 years ago

Re do of master bedroom! Started with the purchase of a wonderful adjustable queen bed with vibrating feature. Standard bedding does not fit and using a bed skirt is out. A quilt for comfort is making do until I can get it all figured out. I've ordered a bedspread with a 30" drop and ordered fabric swatches to consider for pillows and drapery.

• judy_hicks83
    6 years ago

Using the rebuilding needed to stabilise the 200 year old rear part of our house as an opportunity to simplify maintenance, modernise internally and to some extent age-proof. Incorporating part of the attached 1960s garage as a utility room and guest shower room. Renew kitchen. Renew bathroom. Huge project!

• valerie waddell
    6 years ago

7We are remodeling a house in North Carolina mountains. Doing outside first...new siding, gutters, windows and faux stone trim. We had thought dark grey with white trim. Removed bushes first and installing new decking on front porch. Could use some suggestions.

• jalarse
    6 years ago
    Just got finished with building a “Little Free Library”. Next is my husbands den. Den is a nice word. He has so much stuff in there, not sure if I can get a back-hoe up the stairs. But he did build the library for me.
  • rockies
    6 years ago

County swears they will replace their failed retaining wall. Wish me luck. It's only been 22 years:( If that miracle does happen, I will be free to landscape.

• D C
    6 years ago

Where to start?

Already got the built in bookshelf outside the master bedroom done:

Upstairs gallery · More Info

We are going to replace the standard newel posts on our staircase, as seen in pic above, with something more beefy and stain the railing and trim to match the hardwood floors.

The we will move outside. Hoping to unify the backyour a bit. We have a boulder retaining wall that is looking a bit shabby. Would like to do something like this to add a second terrace with a grassy area in between the two walls:

French Country Estate New Construction · More Info

Just sent an email today to get an estimate for that.

Then in front of the wall to make the lower backyard more cohesive and to bring the usable yard "in" a bit(we have a large lot that can feel impersonal above the current wall) I would like to do this in front of the wall, wall would be to the right in this picture, and take the landscaping and mulch all the way to the patio, deck and house instead of having grass:

This part will probably be diy. And will diy replacing the deck with Trex or Azek. Unless we win the lottery.... :-)

• Enchante Moore
    6 years ago

2 big projects:

1) Landscape the entire property. Right now we have very generic, unappealing planting thrown together by the builder. We will work with a landscape design build firm to transform our outdoor space.

2) We need a second kitchen to allow separation as we have older parents living with us. Have debated to put it in the basement or a separate accessory unit on the back of our property. Checked county zoning and it is allowed either way. The separate accessory unit is lot more expensive per SF but allows better ventilation, enjoying nature with expansive windows, a destination for artistic pursuit, such as a florist hobby, and is healthier to spend time in than a basement.

Inspiration photos:

Accessory Unit · More Info

Small remote Guest House/Studio · More Info

• gustaviatex
    6 years ago

I replaced the old galvanized piping with PEX in my 70s ranch in January. I WAS going to work on the master bath (so tiny it hardly deserves that name) but then the a/c died and so I had that replaced along with the 20 some-odd year old gas heater. I might be done and the year has just started!

• Lynne Travis
    6 years ago

Painting! Our house was spray painted builder beige (even the baseboards!) except for the bathrooms. They were covered in ugly wallpaper. I've already removed the wallpaper in two bathrooms and painted. "Glamming" up the tiny powder room with a drama color like Benjamin Moore Old Navy, painting the vanity and changing out faucets, mirror and lighting. I will also paint my two guest bedrooms (Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray). The exterior of my front door is a boring faded brownish red. Considering Benjamin Moore Tuscan Teal or a more blue - perhaps Indigo. My exterior is dark gray.

On nice days we will be outside pulling out old landscaping that has gone wild or died and refreshing with new. We will be busy!

• therese costa
    6 years ago

Under contract to buy an Alfred Browning Parker mid-century tropical gem nestled among a 70-year-old banyan tree and loads of tropical foliage. After completing an ultra-modern renovation, it is time to take on the challenge of returning this chopped up and neglected gem to is glamorous roots. the challenge is to impart modern living comforts and convenience while maintaining the integrity of the architecture and tropical environment.

There is a separate "maid's quarters" and separate storage shed that I think I will combine to build my own granny pod : ) Ka-ching! Here we go again : )

• shofer1019
    5 years ago

Crown moulding in living room, dining room and hallway. Replace the wooden sprindles of the railing with wrought iron.