Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmarie503

What color for kitchen counters?

rmarie503
6 years ago
Hello! We are updating our kitchen. Our shaker cabinets will be Cloud White and the first floor interior walls are Cocoa Butter. We have a maple butter block for the island and will be using either black or silver hardware. We may be painting the island Hemlock or the same Cloud White as the cabinets. We have original Douglas fir floors throughout the house.

I am struggling to find the right counter color and material. We would prefer Corian (or solid surface) but I am interested in other options.

What color would you recommend for the counters?

Pictures of all paints (Benjamin Moore) and design inspiration for cabinets below.

Thank you!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

I'd go with a countertop that mimics the look of Calacatta Gold marble, since your cabinets and wall colors are warm neutrals.

Pick an engineered quartz or compact surface vs. Corian. Dekton makes a nice one called Entzo:

• rmarie503
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That is a beautiful color. Do you have experience with this material? One of RJ reasons we're looking into Corian is we have installed it ourselves in the past. Is this material similar or more like Quartz? Thanks!
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

It's neither like Quartz nor like Corian. It's called an ultra-compact surface and competes with Neolith. I haven't yet used it for a project, but I do know you have to make certain the fabricator is certified to work with this material. One thing to note: the "veining" doesn't go all the way through the material; it's just on the surface. So your edges will be the same as the background color (the off white). But the upside is that it's non-porous and really is super easy to maintain.

If you go this route, get a professional to fabricate and install.

• rmarie503
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

I fear your wall paint color is way too pink to use throughout a home.

• rmarie503
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Which would you use?
    6 years ago
    Behr’s Chocolate Froth is a beautiful neutral
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

have to agree about the cocoa butter color. I don't like it w/the Cloud White. and it is very pink. What is your plan for the walls? Love the Hemlock idea for the island as it would look lovely next to your woods. But that cocoa butter,,,nope.

I like any of these w/those two other colors

BM White Sand

so you can see the diff

• rmarie503
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I am trying to steer away from grey. We live in the PNW and don't need more grey :). How do you feel about these colors? We already have a maple butcher block so will not be able to change the material. Paint colors are flexible for walls and cabinets. Thank you!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

no. still too pink. look above. I added more pics to my comments

white sand is not gray.

you need a tan/yellow based,,,not a pink red based wall color. Or, change your white paint to something w/a pink base

• rmarie503
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes thank you Beth! You're right. That white is not the right option for cabinets and crown modeling. Love the Behr’s Chocolate Froth. Which white would you use?
  • rmarie503
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    And BM White Sand is great!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Beth H. Where is that overdyed rug from? So stunning and understated at the same time.

• rmarie503
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Went and picked up super white and the ballet white today at BM. They look great. Will post a pic tomorrow!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Beverly,,,it's from Revival Rugs. they all come from Turkey. some beautiful (and reasonable) pieces on their website.