Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Do you use security cameras at home?

Emily H
6 years ago

Have you installed security cameras in or around your home? I have and it seems to be more and more common among people I speak with. Have you done it too?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes
No
Other - Tell us!

Comments (32)

• User
    6 years ago

It depends on where do you live.

If you live in an apartment on level 0 or the last floor OR if you live in a private house - I would install cams and bars on the windows.

If you live in an apartment on the middle levels - Don't install anything because the chances that anyone would want to break into your home is almost 0.

Sasha - www.NestingJourney.com

• tooky58
    6 years ago

Nope. An advantage to rural living.

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No, and I think it's a sad commentary on the state of society that so many people do feel the need to have them. What could be a more unwelcoming thing to see when approaching someone's font door. Completely changes my perception of the people who live inside.

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Nope but I know atleast 3 houses on my street have cameras and my sister just got some for Christmas

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

We have them, but really don't need them. But who knows what can happen, Our last suburban house we did. Someone attempted twice to break into our last house. Now we are rural and all my husband does is see if there was deer in the yard during the night. The cameras gives my husband a sense of security though.

• Jennifer_in_KS
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Not yet but after all the Christmas porch thefts I plan to install them.

Tooky58 & Function - We have higher incidences of home break-ins in our rural areas. Theory revolves around the lack of neighbors to keep watch.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

We also have a high incidence of property crime in our rural area. Lots of valuable tools and equipment (and livestock: cattle, goats, and sheep are regularly snatched), darker roads, and yes, less neighbours to keep watch.

Our large Rottweiler is more effective as a deterrent than a camera however. The cameras can't be seen until you're too close to care, signs are too easily ignored even assuming the criminals can read, and if they were to get caught on tape they wouldn't be prosecuted anyway.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

Unfortunately crime is everywhere due to drugs. Cameras is a deterrent to a professional thief, but junkies usually aren't so smart. They just need a fix and don't care. My DD has a rott and he is scary as heck to strangers , but really is big sissy.

• Bev
    6 years ago

Where I live and how my house is designed, they are not really necessary. We do have an alarm system and that's all we really need.

• rocketjcat
    6 years ago
    No cameras and usually we only lock our doors at night. Country life.
  • Candace Bailie
    6 years ago
    We have a security system and a motion detector light in the back yard, plus our neighborhood is gated, so no cameras. But I can see why people would want them these days.
  • KD
    6 years ago

Sort of. We have a camera at the front door and one inside pointed st the dog’s crate. The front door one is for seeing who is there from other floors, mostly. (I have arthritis and I don’t want to run up and down for nothing important, our house is 3 floors so it can be quite a hike.) The one on the crate is because I had a previous dog injure himself on a crate, so being able to check in when we are out makes me feel better.

• Belahn
    6 years ago
    You better believe I did when I lived in New Orleans. Also an iron fence with gate all the way around the property. Everyone did. I Live semi rural now and don't have them but people still get broken into by meth heads looking for cash and prescription pills. It's a nice neighborhood but 2 nights ago my neighbor caught a prowler out on her porch. We have good locks.
  • oliviag55
    6 years ago
    it's not always where you live but the one who wander though
  • larkspurproject
    6 years ago

We don't have cameras but I have considered in light of several break-ins. The only reason we don't have them I guess is lack of moving on the idea. In our neighborhood the cameras are most prevalent in homes where the owners work long hours, are senior citizens, or have children in the home. It doesn't matter why people have them, it is their home or safe place. What is scary to one person may not scare another. I don't feel unwelcome when I visit homes with cameras, but I know not to pick the flowers ;)

• januarisun
    6 years ago

We have cameras and alarm system. To me, it's like having deadbolts. Sure, you can use the handle lock, and it'll probably be fine, but if deadbolts are more secure, why not have them?

The one thing I really like them for, is to let me know when someone is at the front door, or has pulled into the driveway. Half the time I have a package delivered, and they don't bother to ring the doorbell, but the camera, motion sensor sends me an alert. That, alone, is worth it.

• teamaltese
    6 years ago
    No, but I’d like one, to see the wildlife at night. We liv in SW FL, and we hear animals all the time. I’d love to see them too!
  • wacokid
    6 years ago

I have a trail camera and catch "them" in the act...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WOR_hw-hAs&t=10s

• sunni23560
    4 years ago

yes,for security reasons people should use security camera.

• PRO
    Old World Timber
    4 years ago

there are now simple $20 cameras that can be set up and seen from a phone app. You can record or not record, turn volume on or off. It is absolutely the greatest thing ever.

• User
    4 years ago

Nope... that’s what the doberman is for

• eandhl2
    4 years ago

We have a camera but facing the back to see the bears, deer, coyotes, fishers & bobcats.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

If using a home camera system make sure to set it up securely, to avoid it spying on you by hackers.

Suggest using long passwords that are not easy to figure out. Do not use general info like pet's name, address, family names,etc. Schedule a change of passwords every so often, so the hacker will have a difficult time trying to spy on you.

Video on home security cameras that were being streamed to public without their knowledge. Spooky stuff. Be smarter about security. Set up ot correctly. Stay safe. https://youtu.be/-P0rSnt2HSU

• acm
    4 years ago

Guys, poll is a couple years old already.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

True acm, the poll is over, but the thread came back to life by others.

There's been a lot of recent home security camera hacks consumers should know.

Video on home security cameras that were being streamed to public without their knowledge. Spooky stuff. Be smarter about security. Set up ot correctly. Stay safe. https://youtu.be/-P0rSnt2HSU

• ocotillaks
    4 years ago

Never had a problem on Relic Farm in Kansas. Folks were afraid of our Texas Lacy Game Dogs. Here in New Mexico, we have good neighbors. We also have a guard donkey who alerts

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Living in LA (Hollywood Hills) means bars (if you want to have any open windows), locked gates, interior motion monitoring of entry area and burglar alarm including all doors and sliders and each non-barred window. And there is a roving armed community patrol car in our neighborhood . With all that security for the majority of the homes, there are still burglaries and thefts of cars and car break-ins.
    Big city living means being proactive.

• Rag Hau
    2 years ago

I've been using a whole security system for my house for a very long time, as I'm a bit paranoid. My neighbors had things stolen from their house a couple of years ago. Since then, I began to worry very much about the security of my home and decided to try new technologies to combat such problems. I read a lot of articles about various smart security systems, such as ajax, and decided to purchase such a system for myself. Therefore, I have security cameras installed in the house and outside the house. I feel safe like this.

• PRO
    peterwalk
    2 years ago

Since the new year, I bought some cameras for my home. They have been so far one of the best purchases I ever made. The cameras helped me catch so many people that were trying to steal my deliveries. I searched for a long time but after two hours of searching, I came across this site: https://paydaydeals.com.au/collections/cctv-security-cameras-systems. I really recommend them because they help you and your family become safer. Now my wife is pregnant with our first daughter and we need to be sure that no one enters the house without permission

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    2 years ago

My husband is a regional security manager for a large global software company. He is an expert in security. We do not have security cameras in or outside or home. This is due to the paranoia and anxiety that comes from having cameras. What people perceive is safety is manifested anxiety and over reliance on technology versus the basics of securing one's home and neighborhood. 

Other affects of security cameras: 

- Of 44% who have cameras, 40% admit to spying. 

1 in 5 have eavesdropped on neighbors

- 1/3 admit to eavesdrouin general

- 1 in 5 spied/watched a neighbor

A Safewise survey 2021

We know the world isn't safe but our mental health is more important than cameras. Worse is when neighbors use it to profile, vigilante or tattle on others.

• functionthenlook
    2 years ago

Jen K, wow apparently some people don't have a life. New technology for the neighborhood busybodies.

Ours have quit working and we could care less. All we can see is deer anyway. The houses are to far apart to see the neighbors or street and I could care less what they are doing. The motion lights are turned off too due to the critters.