Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_mendel

need design advice for rug and fireplace

Lisa Mendel
6 years ago
I recently downsized from 17 yr old 3500 sf house to 54 yr old 1400 sf house. I know my furniture scale is too big but it's what I have to work with for now. Any suggestions for rug look and size? also ..thinking of painting or refacing fireplace. white? Or more neutral, possibly stone with color like the walls? Thinking chunky mantel in white or wood to match flooring. any suggestions to pull together and update my look until I can afford to replace would be appreciated!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Functional Conceptz for Interiors
    6 years ago

What is directly across from your front window? Can you upload a picture?

• Lisa Mendel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    in the corner by the front door? That is a rolled up rug I am sending back! :) Hence my need for help.
  • Lisa Mendel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Or were you referring to looking from the front door/window vantage point?
  • PRO
    Functional Conceptz for Interiors
    6 years ago

That works! Okay so I would use a neutral rug with an ever so slight pattern....a square would be nice but a rectangle works. I do not know the size of your living room so I cannot offer a rug size....just make sure the front legs of the sofa and chairs are on the rug. I would really opt out of 1 of the chairs as this is pretty crowded. But in the meantime possibly push the left chair as close to the window wall as possible as it doesn't appear to be touching it. also push the sofa a bit to the right about 3 or 4 inches towards the console. This should still leave enough space to walk. The sofa looks smashed against the wall and if we move the chair to the wall the sofa should be centered between the two furthest points of the accent chairs.

Hope this makes sense :-)

• Jean Doherty
    6 years ago
    Have you tried the couch under the window? Then put one chair where the couch is now and one where the tree is when you take it down. TV watching will be more difficult but the furniture will work better in the space.
  • Lisa Mendel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you so much Jean! Great advice! I have tried the sofa under the window but felt it wasn't the best position for the TV. I'll try it again however! Appreciate you taking the time to respond. Happy New Year!
  • Lisa Mendel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    jean dougherty..what do you think of this rug? Brant rug from Pottery Barn
  • Nancy Walton
    6 years ago

I would put the sofa on the window wall, and the chairs across from it. Right now, the room looks very small and the layout I propose would open it up tremendously. I realize you probably would like to create more of an "entry," but that's the way those houses were designed. Then I would get a rug no larger than 8 x 10 and run it horizontal to the window and vertically to the fireplace (large side parallel to the flooring), with the front legs of the furniture sitting on the rug. It is difficult to suggest a rug because the color in your chairs is not determinate. Are they mauve?

• PRO
    Niche Interiors
    6 years ago

Try moving the sofa away from the wall and just keeping one of the armchairs to make it feel more spacious. A large rug in warm neutrals and sheer ivory drapes to replace the blinds would help soften the space. Good luck!

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

I think it looks fine, drapes and a rug would add to the room and complete the look. Congrats on your new home!