Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ela_cherry

Need help my Aloe Vera begun forming white spots

Ela Cherry
6 years ago

I'm a beginner in growing plants and i've recently bought an Aloe Vera like a week ago. I've transfused it in another vase and i've kept it in a nordic room with like 20 C degrees up to 24 C, not near the direct light of the sun. I don't know why it started to form white spots when there were none when i've bought it. Can someone give me an advice, please?

Comments (15)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Are you concerned about whitish areas at the base of leaves in first photo? Color lightening like that happens when plant is not receiving enough light. You confirmed it by writing:..."not near the direct light of the sun"...

May I ask what kind of soil you used to pot it up? Did you take old soil off the roots? How much bigger is the new container than original was?

• Ela Cherry
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I didn't used a special soil, it could be used for every plant. Yes, i didn't took off the old soil in which was in, i've just put it in the new vase like that and covered the rest with the universal flower soil. The new vase is like with 3-4 cm larger in diameter than the old one. And yes, i'm really concerned with the white spots it has now, should i put it in a place with more light?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

It needs more light so I would move it where it could get some.

I can see outline where it was potted before; it may or may not have some roots problem in the future. It is possible that original soil was peat and that has hardened around the roots - if that is the case, plant won't be getting much moisture. Container it is in should also have drainage holes.

It is recommended to get rid of old soil; use new pot that is one size bigger than old one and has drainage hole; use well draining mix, and supply good light to plant.

Ela Cherry thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • Ela Cherry
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much! The container where it is now has drainage holes and it's bigger than the first one, but I would do all what you've advised me. But do you think that the white spots would disappear in time?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

With good light, color of the succulents will 'return'. If they grow etiolated = stretched and thin, that doesn't change. If your plant has been in poor light for a while, acclimatize it to better light. You didn't indicate where you are (general location and/or growing zone), and where the plant will be kept so there is no way to know how much more light can you give it right away.

Was the soil crumbly or did it feel hard when you repotted?

• Ela Cherry
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The soil felt crumbly, but after i put universal soil together with the soil in which was the aloe planted i've put some warm water ( at the room temperature ) on the plate beneath the vase and on the base of the plant. I am from Europe, in the S-E zone of Roumania and the plant i'll put it in a place of my home where i know it gets plenty of light. But i didn't refer to the color of the suculent that it got whiten out ( the orange circle -and i know that's pretty bad too - ) i meant that all the white spots circled with blue weren't there when i first bought the plant, is there a way i could treat them?

• Ela Cherry
    Original Author
    6 years ago

But why did the white spots appeared only when the plant was in my home? It's a sign that the aloe grows?
    And thank you for all the advices and for all you've taught me!

• Ela Cherry
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Happy New Year Rina! And thank you for all of your advices! :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Ela

Thank you...

Those white spots look very normal to me - at least from what I can see in your photos. Are they looking same as other spots that were on the plant already? I would be concerned only if they were different - different texture or sticking above/being raised above the surface of the leaves.

• Ela Cherry
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You're welcome! :D
    Yes, the white spots are all the same, no change in texture nor raising above the surface, just they multiplied. That was my concern, but i'll change the soil the soon as i can, the shops haven't opened yet here in my town so i can't buy any. I've found a better place for the aloe so it can have more light and i think, in time, it would be better for it.

• Surinder Kaur
    3 years ago

I received an Aloe vera plant from a friend. It has white spots. And another friend told me that an Aloe vera plant with white spots shd not be consumed. Is it true. My friend has made pickle from it n shated with me. My aloe plant has more than enough light n sun. I dont think white spots are due to lack of sun n loght.

• KarenS, NYC
    3 years ago

I wouldn't be eating plants shared like that. It may be a different kind of Aloe than you think. Seems an unsafe, bad idea.

Without any picture it would be UNSAFE & IRRESPONSIBLE for anyone here to discuss plants for eating.

• Sandra Owusu
    3 years ago

Please, i have an aleo which is grown under the sun but still have those spots on them. Why?

• Danielle Dallas
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

My plant app told me the white spots is a disease to the aloe vera plant. And can spread to the other plants in your home. That they recommend you take away from other plants, cut all leaves with white spots, and allow to regrow.