Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doctorvon

Mantle between fireplace and television?

doctorvon
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I've seen hundreds of photos of televisions hung above gas fireplaces in contemporary design, so when we remodeled, we did just that. However, we find the wall between the two and even the bottom of the television gets very hot when the fireplace is in use. It was suggested I add a mantle and while I hate the idea of breaking up the clean lines/look, I don't want our television ruined by heat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (23)

• hatetoshop
    6 years ago

Could you post a picture of your fireplace?

• doctorvon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I posted a picture - sorry about the flash - I'm not much of a photographer.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO the T.V is already hung too high and just because you see a pic of something does not mean it functions. I do not think a mantel is going to look good above that fireplace so until i see the rest of the space my thinking would be find another spot for the T.V. since it won’t last long where it is.

• doctorvon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The sight line of the television has been fine sitting in the theater chairs we have directly across from the this wall. We did angle the television down a bit to ensure a good picture with no glare.

• Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    Do you have the tv on a telescoping wall mount? That helps so you can pull it away from the heat source.
    doctorvon thanked Bri Bosh
  • doctorvon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great point! Yes, it's a telescoping wall mount. I'll give it a try - thanks!

• doxiedogday
    6 years ago
    The recommended height for hanging a television above the fireplace is 60-68” from the floor. Those look like 12x24” tiles if so.....you aren’t too far off from those dimensions. Does the heat feel like it is coming up from the opening or through the wall behind it? Adding a simple straight mantle would still have a clean look and probably deflect the heat away from your TV if it is coming from the opening. Call a City Inspector and see what codes are for your area. What the mantle could be made of and how far away from the opening it needs to be. It looks like a gas fireplace and I’m sure that would be different than wood burning. You don’t have to have it inspected for a mantle but do want it to be in code if you ever sell your house. If it is coming through the wall you might call a company that actually sells and installs TV’s and see what they recommend. Or as suggested by another comment move the TV. It is never a perfect world unfortunately....
    doctorvon thanked doxiedogday
  • doctorvon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We made sure to hang the television at least 60 inches above the floor and to meet the recommended clearance between the fireplace and television. The heat feels like it's coming from the fireplace - not the wall. I did go outside to ensure the fireplace is venting properly. Yes, it's a gas fireplace. I really don't have another option for this huge television - we have a multitude of windows in the house, which I love, but it limits options for art, let alone an 85 inch television! (My husband's choice) lol. Thanks for your help!

• doctorvon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lovely! Thanks, those do provide inspiration!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

The TV should have been recessed in a niche to protect it from the rising heat.

You have to protect it from the heat or it will shorten the life of the TV. Do the recess or add a mantle.

doctorvon thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Add a stainless mantel to keep your contemporary design and make sure you do long linear line with it.
    doctorvon thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Here are some looks with this concept.
  • doctorvon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I LOVE the idea of a stainless mantle - BUT - would that heat up too?

• doctorvon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner that was exactly what we asked the contractor for! It was so annoying to me since there was a window there before so I thought it would be an easy thing to do. Then he told me that since we were doing a tile accent, that he couldn't do the recess. I should have insisted. So, at this point, I guess we're looking at a mantle.

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

You could always move the TV to a different wall???

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Any material will heat up, what you want is a "barrier/deflection" that moves some heat out toward the room and away from the TV. Sorry your contractor was so uninformed. OF COURSE, WE CAN recess and tile that recess. Do it all the time in just this same situation. Of course, best if planned in advance.

• doctorvon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I found that in a few instances, my contractor was far more interested in the "easiest" solution instead of honoring what I wanted and/or what was promised. But, at least it's done and I'm happy with the overall product. Now it's just tweeking. Thanks for your expertise! Live and learn I guess. I think the stainless mantle is a great idea!

• richfield95
    6 years ago

I like the stainless mantel in Flo's first picture, that would look nice in your space.

if you put a recess for the TV in an exterior wall, you wouldn't have space for sufficient insulation.

• doctorvon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Actually since there was a bay window there we would have plenty of space for insulation and wiring. It goes back about a foot and right now it's just empty space that they dry walled over. That was my point about how easy it would have been when they were doing it. But, it's done now, so I think the stainless mantel is the best idea. I'll keep it long and lean so it acts as a barrier but doesn't disrupt the clean look I want. Thanks everyone! Happy New Year!

• blahnik1
    6 years ago
    I thought the distance between the fireplace opening and combustible material was 14 inches minimum. The top of your fireplace looks to be a little over 30 inches off the ground, and the roads between seems to be about 17 inches (I’m guessing). This should be ok, no?
  • PRO
    mofopole
    6 years ago

Hello doctorvon, maybe this can help.

• User
    6 years ago
    I agree with Beverly that a niche is needed. We are building now and it was explained to us as required. I would be very worried about the safety of your set up.
    doctorvon thanked User