0
peanutmcgee

Need Design & Safety Advice for Loft/Play area

peanutmcgee

Looking for some ideas on what I can do to keep my loft/playroom safe. We have a half wall currently and if a child were to fall over, its about a 20 ft fall onto stairs and hardwood floor. My two year is just starting to climb and it makes me very nervous!

My husband suggested white spindles, but I think that might look very 70's. My house is a 2 story craftsman style. Thank you!!!

Sabrina Alfin Interiors

I'd think about installing a Craftsman-like glass window so you don't lose the light but still have a permanent barrier. It's likely for an opening that size you'd have to have it custom made. Something that looks like this:

Desa Design Studio

The images above may not be best as far as style, but incorporate the concept of a privacy panel that you would see above a booth at a restaurant to add an additional barrier as far as height. It could be wood or tempered glass and tie in with other design features within the style of your home.

• decoenthusiaste

Why not install shutters like you have at the window? They can come out once your family is complete and the kids are old enough not to be tempted to climb up there.

• peanutmcgee

These are wonderful ideas, thank you! I never thought about closing it into a window, I will definitely have to price out a few options.

I am not sure what age little boys stop being so curious and adventurous. My 7 year old nephew tried to sit up there last time he visited and gave his poor grandma a heart attack!

Sabrina Alfin Interiors

FWIW, I don't think shutters would be strong enough to hold a child's weight if they were to climb up on the ledge and lean on it. I'd go the window route or close up the wall entirely.