Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbb1506

Help with front room, please,

Jen B
6 years ago
At a loss over what to do with the space as soon as you walk into my house. It’s attached to my dining room, which I never use since we have an eat in kitchen. It’s the first impression and it feels empty and cold. The space is narrow and I have just had the hardest time with furniture placement. I don’t really foresee us using either space that often because we have a basement with a media center and a living room where we spend most of our time. But I want to feel warm and inviting when you walk in. We lived here for a few months and I just hate walking into that empty space.

A few more things, we are ripping out the awful wood look tile and putting in matching wood floors very soon. ( I’m hoping to stain them darker too, I’m not a big fan of how orange they read). I don’t want to get rid of the chairs they are sentimental in value to me. All the furniture we’ve had from our old home, so I’m open to buying new pieces just don’t know where to start. Any suggestions would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to read this!

Comments (55)

• Jen Butler
    6 years ago
    I think adding a rug in there would make the space feel cozy and fill the space. Also. What about a small couch or love seat somewhere in addition to the chairs and other furniture? It feels like it needs a piece of furniture to draw a line between the dining room and living room--to square it off more so it isn't so narrow looking. It is a nice room and the entry with the stairs is quite pretty. I think your idea to make the floor all the same is great!
  • Jen Butler
    6 years ago
    Maybe put the 2 chairs under the window, with the small table next to them. Move console table under the mirror and then get a couch/loveseat to face chairs...?
  • Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Jen! Thanks for the suggestions. I’m open to adding a rug for sure but don’t know what to do because the space is open to the dining room. If I got one for the front room they would be so close, I would think that they would have to match. I got the dining room rug at home goods. I can’t seem to find another. I love it so much and would hate to have to get rid of it. Also thought about adding a bench or loveseat but don’t know if I should try and match the chairs, or go with a totally different
    fabric. My fear is that they would be a few shades off. Help!
  • Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions! Will move the furniture tomorrow and post pics. Any ideas in terms of artwork or decorative pieces that could make it feel less cold?
  • kaye1951
    6 years ago

Hmmm. I would like to see a picture of the table currently in front of the window placed under the mirror, the chairs and round table in front of the window and the settee facing the chairs. This might work if the settee is love seat size. This arrangement could also work with the settee in front of the window and with the chairs facing the window/settee for a more open feel. Replacing the mirror with artwork would add more interest to the space. You will get a lot of feedback with rearranging and posting photos. Good luck on completing your nice house!

• kaye1951
    6 years ago

Oops, just realized I repeated what everdebz and jen86 suggested! Great minds think alike......!

• suezbell
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Nice room.

You could create a home office space and reading/sitting area in that extended front entry.

You could build floor to ceiling shelving on the walls, including around the windows --

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d9/01/0a/d9010aebc3738a1f061af9d2d880de69--cozy-reading-rooms-bookshelf-styling.jpg

except, perhaps, put a window seat beneath the front windows.

You could then add a table/desk height room divider between the sitting area and the dining area. That room divider could be a desk or credenza or pony wall built in

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bf/a1/ed/bfa1ed4f4d2f72b6d7b80262c9e2a6a8.jpg

or you could use a china/curio cabinet as a room divider.

http://www.gl2design.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/kitchen-dividers-cabinets-inspirational-building-a-room-divider-wall-installing-kitchen-wall-cabinets-of-kitchen-dividers-cabinets.jpg

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

You could make that area a "library" with built ins along the mirror wall and the two chairs facing the built ins. Nothing says warm and cozy like a place to plunk down and curl up with a book!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    What a cute space. I think you need some brightness. Agree mirror doesn’t work best on that wall. Let me find some inspirational photos and see what you like.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I would find small scale pieces with a great color pallet of bright colors. Here are some small living rooms to steal ideas from. I think rose and corals with white and black would be great. Then you could do black and white rug and that would play well with dining area rug.
  • houssaon
    6 years ago

An area rug would warm the space up and define it better. I'd move the table and lamps under the mirror and put the two chairs at right angle to each other around the round table by the window in the corner by the door. A sette could face the window.

• Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Kathy and Sue, I love the built in idea but don’t have the funds to do it right now. We’ve committed to a bunch of other projects. I am open to buying other pieces of furniture but my budget for the space isn’t that much. Thank you so much for opinions and for taking the time out.
  • motupeg
    6 years ago
    Following.
  • Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Flo! Love the idea of adding color. I bought throw pillows in a blush tone in hopes that would work. I will post pics with the new pillows and the furniture rearranged. Thanks so much!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Jen B - such a nice place. I know you are having fun decorating it and making it feel better and better each day. Lots of good ideas here and I understand the tight budget thing for sure! I think if you could get a rug for the area, it would help you "define" the space which is currently lacking so anything you try in there appears to be floating and not grounded. Probably a 5 x 7 would do the trick. I too would try the console table you have in the front window under the mirror (to save aggrevation of moving the mirror) and then put your two existing chairs facing each other or angled in a way that creates a "room". Then get some Faux fur throws to drape over them and get ones that compliment the rest of your space. They would bring some texture in as well. Push the current sheer drapes to the center and add a panel on each end in something more exciting in the space. Could be a stripe, or print to work with the color scheme you ultimately want. In other words, jazz it up! lol Have fun with it. The floors look great, the light is great, your dining chandy is perfect, so you might want to add a floor lamp to the living room for "interest" and reading in a chair. A black shade with add some drama. Show us as you progress.

• jdgail
    6 years ago

Hard to tell with the picture posted but could you rotate your dining table (and :( chandelier). It would take up more of the dead space.. Do you have a buffet in the dining area?

• Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks again Flo! Will take some of your advice. I’m still snowed it so can’t go out and buy any of that stuff today but I will start shopping online!
  • Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Jd, that is something to consider it sounds silly but I hadn’t even thought about that. I can see if my husband will help me move the table around and I’ll let you know how it looks. I don’t have a buffet that whole front space it totally lacking.
  • Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you for the suggestions right look. The pieces you picked out are really pretty. My only stipulation is I don’t want to scrap the chairs. They are sentimental to me and I don’t have any other room to use them in. I’m open to any other ideas though. Thanks for your feedback.
  • Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Okay some I took some pictures. Not sure if I got all the right angles. If not please let me know. Also, I didn’t have a real settee to work with as it’s downstairs and i can’t carry it alone. I improvised and moved my dining bench. Please let me know what you all think. And thanks again!
  • Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oops sorry didn’t post them all the first time.
  • Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Also, I was thinking about these for the curtains to add some color into the space. I have the throw pillows in the same color and I think it’s so pretty. What do you think?
    https://mobile-beta.westelm.com/products/luster-velvet-curtain-dusty-blush-t1802
  • felizlady
    6 years ago
    Lots of opportunities to add a small library-reading area/ cozy conversation spot. I would measure the area, buy a rug and let that rug define the space, placing seating pieces on the rug. Medium-sized chairs, a loveseat or settee, small tables for a lamp to two, a nice bookcase. The suggestion of using "small living rooms" to look for ideas is right on target.
  • Jennifer Butler
    6 years ago
    Oh! I really like the chairs by the window like that with the throws they look super cozy. Out the settee or a loveseat opposite and a rug and you will have a super cozy space! It would be nice to add some books in there and make it more “library”. Maybe look around craigslist or thriftshop for a bookshelf. How about a plant too? I don’t think you need to worry about your rugs “matching”. The rug in your dining room is super neutral. This one should have some colors that you love and that you can pull out of to match or compliment your settee. Have fun with the rug because if your furniture is neutral the rug can make the whole room zing!
  • Jennifer Butler
    6 years ago
    Ha—this is Jen86...I am writing from my phone and apparently i have a different account! Wanted to circle back and love all the comments and suggestions!
  • kaye1951
    6 years ago

Looking good!

• Laura Hill
    6 years ago
    Hi, I like the new furniture arrangement - it will look nice when you can move the larger settee up from downstairs! What about getting a cream/white textured area rug to define the sitting area without clashing with your DR rug?
  • Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback! Looking at rugs online now. I will have to purchase either a new settee or loveseat for the space. The one I have downstairs downstairs match. I was just going to bring it up to show scale. Any suggestions on what color settee I should buy? I would most likely have to purchase online and I think it would be difficult to try and match the beige linen chairs perfectly.
  • Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Laura! Thanks for the visuals. I agree about the rug. I know the dining room rug is neutral but since they are open to each other I’m very concerned with the space looking cohesive. I’m looking online now to see if I can find a rug that would work. I appreciate your help.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Jen B. Did a little mock up for you and funny but seems we all have visions of some purple/pale rose tones with some grays. I would go with light gray settee, brightness in chairs, simple small coffee pull up tables, and pull accent color from chairs onto settee. A rug with grays, whites and possibly lavender just depends on your chair color. Enjoy!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Rug just needs some gray in it to work with dining room. Or whatever the predominate color of your dining room looks like.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Here is the type rug I would look for. You can do some print as long as you bring in color from dining rug. Of course, it should work with chair and settee. I would get settee and chairs first. They are harder to find. Scads of rugs so leave rug to last. ;).
  • Jen B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks so much Flo! So fun to see it come to life. I am looking for settee right now. Can’t wait to get this done. It just doesn’t feel like home when it’s so empty. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. If you see anything you think might work please let me know. I’ll keep you updated!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Here is this settee.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I would look for lower arms. Those make it easy to put pillow and lay out a bit and use your Kindle, a real book or iPad. Or just to catch a quick nap. Watch length and depth of seat. Min 28” seat depth deeper a bit easier to cozy up on. Length depends on how much space you have. Measure from front edge of table to where drapery on other side of windows fall. Happy hunting!
  • ileslie2
    6 years ago
    Still thinking about your rug. They don’t have to match. That would be boring. Go for a larger pattern with a dark background or just anything but matching. Don’t be afraid.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Of course, i would go dramatic on either the chairs or rug. Room needs that “wow” factor. ;)
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

So pretty - more a blend with wood floor - with more neutral rug:

https://www.houzz.com/products/melon-and-gray-accent-chair-3228-prvw-vr~79632324

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Or - plop down in this grey [if a blend with DR rug] - we returned from meal/ shopping/ tired. :)

https://www.houzz.com/products/right-2-home-sutton-stella-zen-gray-swivel-glider-recliner-prvw-vr~54595283

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Jen B what is the size of the bench it’s smaller what is the width from the long wall to the staircase wall also is the kitchen behind the stairs

• everdebz
    6 years ago

If color of DR rug, ok to me / especially if also color of 2 chairs....

https://www.houzz.com/products/ivory-machine-made-rug-53x75-prvw-vr~83398439

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

I would do four chairs with a table or ottoman in the middle:

Your two additional chairs don't have to match the existing chairs.

• Jen G
    6 years ago
    If you don’t have a black thumb, maybe a nice tall planter with some green could bring some warmth to the space? It looks like you do get enough light to sustain a nice indoor plant.
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Swivel those chairs - but don't have too many chairs - with dining chairs right over there....[you'd think I hate chairs]....