Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjwright1

Can't find any good reviews of carpet. Any suggestions?

bjwright1
6 years ago

We are ready to replace our carpet going up the steps and into all 4 bedrooms. We have 2 older teenager and a dog and cat, and we wear shoes in the house, but don't eat or drink in the bedrooms.

All I can find is negative reviews for every brand of carpet out there. Our current carpet was installed in 1983 (gross, I know), it looks fine, but we are ready to replace. I don't want to replace it with something that looks bad in 2-3 years. Most reviews talk about grimy tracks in high traffic areas and matting pile.

Can anyone suggest carpet they are happy with?

Comments (17)

• nycefarm
    6 years ago

This is the garage forum, maybe try decorating?

• PRO
    Koeber's Interiors: Flooring, Furniture, Windows
    6 years ago

Hi there,
    We are a full service flooring store and thrive on honest recommendations based on your home traffic and usage. Based on your home having pets and active teenagers, you'll want a nylon fiber- it is the best wearing fiber for long term use. If you can find a nice solution dyed fiber or Stainmaster pet protect yarn that is best for homes with pets for resisting pet hair and stains in an active household. A couple great brands are:

Pheonix (Pet Protect Line)
    Masland
    Dixie Home (they carry nylon and poly- so just make sure you're looking at nylons)
    Shaw/Tuftex (they carry several fibers, so again make sure you're looking at nylons)

Specific styles that may be a nice starting point to look at (all 3 are great values):
    http://www.dixie-home.com/web/forms/productdetail.aspx?sId=G5221&cId=22557

http://www.dixie-home.com/web/forms/productdetail.aspx?sId=G5288&cId=60927

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/carpet/details/palette-e9359/barn-wood

And here's a GREAT unbiast website to help you navigate through your carpet search. http://www.carpetprofessor.com/index.html 

• KD
    6 years ago

That url for the carpet professor website doesn’t work. :( I need a good carpet for a bedroom.

• bjwright1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you to the guy from Koeber's! After reading things online, I'm definitely interested in Nylon. I was able to get to the carpet professor's website just by googling it and will read through that info. I guess my main concern is finding some good reviews about carpet since so many reviews are negative. We have friends that installed whole house carpeting prior to moving into a home and the carpet throughout was "wet". Turns out it was all oily from the specific carpet they bought. Some sales people explain that certain carpets fibers are coated in oil for strength. I know to stay away from that exact brand but you're saying you have happy customers from the above lines that are installed for several years?

• PRO
    6 years ago

I think negative reviews can stem from many things other than the product itself- such as installation and expectations from sales people, etc. Very important to find an excellent and experienced installer who will power stretch, place seams in the proper spots, etc. Reputable companies will know and do these things automatically. The carpet professor has recommended companies- he has physically met these companies and done his research (I know upon experience).

We have carried the brands listed before for several years and have seen them perform well when the right carpet selection is made for the right home. (Ex: super high traffic areas may need a short, tougher, denser and tighter fiber than others). The "wet" feeling or oily feel, is not normal. Not sure exactly what the sales people were explaining.

• KD
    6 years ago

Koeber - what would you recommend for a master bedroom where feel is one of the biggest concerns? The carpet we have now is scratchy, especially if you want to sit on the floor for stretching or petting the dog. But we don’t want to break the bank since ultimately we want to have the hardwood refinished.

• PRO
    Floor Decor
    6 years ago
    You can get a super soft feel from any product with Mohawk's Smart Strand Silk collection. Our clients love that line!
  • Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Spend money on the padding under the carpet. Good quality padding makes a world of difference.

• Ann Taylor
    6 years ago

Has anyone had experience with Stanton carpets?

• Sharon Joyce
    6 years ago

We have three cats and a dog, and live in the country on a gravel/dirt road. We ripped out all our carpeting except on the stairs, and put Milliken carpeting on the stairs...very happy with durability and look. It's a product line first developed for business spaces and they later began selling for the home market. Our is a patterned carpet, so paying for the match on the stairs was painful, but worth the money compared to any other carpeting I've had in every home for the past 40+ years.

• PRO
    6 years ago

PirateFoxy Check out the Shaw Caress line or Stainmaster Trusoft fiber. They are both 100% nylon and incredibly soft! Be sure to not confuse putting this everywhere there may be very heavy traffic. Super soft carpets aren't always the best for wear over time. But under the right usage they are excellent and comfortable.
    Ann Taylor We have carried and installed Stanton carpets for many years now. They are top of the line as far as quality in the carpet industry goes. They do sell many different fiber types so be sure the one you're selecting is the right one for your usage in the home.

• PRO
    Carpet Professor
    5 years ago

Here is the correct website link to The Carpet Professor

Http://www.carpetprofessor.com

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

Stanton, Mashland, Karastan (higher end) are wonderful products, and I would go wool.

However, Smart Strand is a good medium priced option.

Agree with Elizabeth B…the padding makes a huge difference. I always recommend SmartStep. It has a waterproof barrier which keeps spills (and other liquids…(woof, woof) from seeping into the pad.

Ever tried to remove a stain from a rug, think you have accomplished it and two days later it is back? It is because the culprit is in the pad and not the rug.

If. the pad needs to be seemed, have the seem duct taped or as I have always called the product DuckTape.

• jess8675
    4 years ago

After much research 3 years ago, I went with Mohawk Smartstrand Silk. I DO NOT recommend this product. It does deliver on it's stain removal promise and feels great. However, after 2 years I we started seeing a lot of wear and mating. Also - the seems are very visible. We did purchase a higher level -pleasant nature and the recommended pink pad. Don't trust in the warranty - it's nearly impossible to get mohawk to do anything. Best of luck as it's a very stressful decision.

• Jordan
    4 years ago

Hi Jess, I'm Jordan with Mohawk Flooring - I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I'd posted this response on another comment you left, but I wanted to ask whether your retailer (or builder, or your builder's flooring vendor) filed a claim with Mohawk on your behalf about your concerns? They're who's responsible for doing all communication with Mohawk for you. I apologize again for your experience!

• Erica Jones
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I believe the Gramercy GR677 Heather Grey Rug would be a good fit for you. Its tint effectively conceals dark stains and various animal life things. It's also water repellent, which is ideal for teenagers' families. In general, I believe this is the best solution for you. It's available for purchase in practically any carpet retailer. However, I purchased it from Kalaty Rug Co. I haven't found a store that is less expensive than that one. There's also no shipping charge. If the rug does not fit you, you can return it within 30 days for a refund. Best of luck with your rug search.