Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louislinus

Lighting opinions! Kitchen and dining room

louislinus
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have an electrician coming in the next few weeks and want to install pendants in the kitchen over the sink and by the other window. I also need to replace the dining room chandelier. For the kitchen, I'm leaning towards milk glass globe pendants on brass rods with similar white globes in dining room. Redoing the kitchen in about 2 years so I can't change much else (except possibly the kitchen ceiling fan). Current lighting budget is tight.

House is a 1942 brick colonial. Style is eclectic with a bit of MCM / Hollywood Regency. Some of the globe chandeliers are too modern / retro for me. Looking for something a little more traditional.

I have found a few chandeliers I love but they were both vintage and alas not available for purchase, only available to stare at lovingly.

I found a few things on AliExpress that looked ok and are cheap but unsure of quality.

So my questions for you,

1) Do you think the mill glass globe / brass idea works in the kitchen and dining room? Other suggestions?

2) Any inexpensive lighting sources I should check out?

3) Experiences with AliExpress?

And here's a million pics. :)

Penultimate chandeliers not available

These two below are from AliExpress. Unsure of quality but they are cheap.

Comments (17)

• Rebecca
    6 years ago

I’m no expert, but have to chime in and tell you I love your house, and what you’ve done with it so far. I would love milk glass pendants in the kitchen, and there are so many variations you could easily have taller, thinner (proportionately speaking) for above the sink/countertops and a visually heavier one over the table. I don’t particularly care for any of your dining room selections, however.

louislinus thanked Rebecca
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Have pot lights put in your kitchen ceiling, and also under cabinet lighting. You will be able to re-use these when you finally do your kitchen! This is what I did and it was 13 years before that kitchen finally was gutted! It will make your kitchen look far more modern and give you good lighting. You will be astounded at the difference it will make!

As to the DR, I don't think that chandelier goes with your more traditional furniture. Keep looking.

louislinus thanked Anglophilia
  • louislinus
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Open to dining room light suggestions. Need some inspiration! Also want to change out the kitchen ceiling fan. Will be sad to see that go.

Here's a few pics of the foyer leading into the dining room.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It is original. We have matching hobnail ceiling lights around the house too. I actually love hobnail but this chandelier is pretty early American. Hmm maybe I should keep it.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What about either of these? The top one has linen shades and the bottom one has glass shades.

• crystalpea
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I like your existing dr chandelier and think it fits well. Take a look at West Elm lighting if you're determined to replace what's currently there, they have a couple options similar to your vintage chandeliers.

Milk glass is a good idea and would be easy to keep in your kitchen when you reno too.

louislinus thanked crystalpea
  • louislinus
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Maybe if I shined the brass up on the DR chandy I'd feel better about it.

• mayflowers
    6 years ago

Your dining room light looks too small for the size of the room.

Have you checked Lamps Plus Open Box website?

louislinus thanked mayflowers
  • louislinus
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree with you Mayflowers.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Milk glass would be perfect for the kitchen.

I have to say I love your dining room fixture, but if you don't I'd happily take it off your hands, esp if it's original. Wow : ) .

• PRO
    Yumi Interiors
    6 years ago

Your kitchen is so cute! What about a pop of color for the lighting? I love these mid-century inspired fixtures from France & Son: https://www.franceandson.com/mid-century-modern-flowerpot-vp1-pendant-lamp-red.html, also available in white if you would prefer to keep them neutral: https://www.franceandson.com/mid-century-modern-flowerpot-vp1-pendant-lamp-white.html.

For the dining room I definitely think you should replace it--your idea for a milk glass chandelier will definitely take the room to the next level. I like this one from cb2: https://www.cb2.com/vega-brushed-brass-flush-mount-lamp/s162805.

Good luck!

louislinus thanked Yumi Interiors
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

I meant to add, we at the end of a new house build and I've bought a lot of light fixtures in the past year. Cheap light fixtures are truly crummy. And sadly, the quality of expensive light fixtures is not proportionately great. But really, if you have a chance to look and feel the cheap fixtures first, do that. I would try to source vintage/secondhand fixtures to get good quality fixtures within your budget. That option doesn't work for everyone, but with your house and style, and the fact that you need just a few, I'd look at that.

• roarah
    6 years ago

What about using the dining room milk glass fixture where the ceiling fan is in the kitchen and than shopping for a bigger dining room fixture? I love the orginal one.

• louislinus
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Which one?

• Rebecca
    6 years ago

I would choose something along these lines...

• Rebecca
    6 years ago

You can usually find them in other metals as well. Then for pendants why not: