How can I attach a garage to my house? I want it to look like it belongs...good flow. Thank you!

Steph
I am having a difficult time trying to figure out how to add a garage with the existing roofline of my home. I want a mudroom in the addition and I don't want to have the garage roofline be as high as our house. It will cost to much. Would appreciate any suggestions.

• Steph
    Maybe a sage green with white or cream trim...hmm
  • Cat Rowe
    One of Fred's lamps above each garage door!
  • Steph
    They are spendy! What color is the one you posted? I see they come in RED just for you FRED!!! I bookmarked them! LOVE THEM! Great find Fred :)
    sstarr93
    These are pretty close... sweet!
  • Fred S
    I am not sure on the color. They will do 200 watts. There are plenty of styles like star's drawing out there too.
  • Steph
    When I look at this close up I really like the taupe and cream on the garage with Fred's lights! I think it is the dormer color I am not loving.
  • Steph
    So I could maybe find one that style at a lower price?!
  • Fred S
    At least ones like star's
  • Fred S
    or somewhere in between.
    sstarr93
    Two colors of shingles (there are more): light maple and heritage cream (the one you didn't like)
    Steph thanked sstarr93
  • houssaon
    I love the idea of the red. How about the house in white and the addition in cottage red?
    Porches, Decks and Patios · More Info
    Charlotte Entry Garden · More Info

This is light taupe with white trim and with an orange-red garage:
    Showcase 2011 - Artist's Retreat · More Info
    I think the roof is close to what you want.

I would like to see the addition lower than the main house. It would mean that there will be a few steps down on the upstairs to get to those rooms, but that would make it interesting.
  • Fred S
    See, and somebody thought I was crazy suggesting two colors.
    sstarr93
    No, not you. I like that cottage red color.
  • Steph
    Star is the one on the left light maple?
  • Fred S
    I was referring to pattiegood
  • pattiegoode
    Oh, Fred...
  • pattiegoode
    Here's a nice article (sorry if you've already read it):
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/renovation-detail-the-gambrel-roof-stsetivw-vs~2890084
    Another poster has done a recent addition & might have good tips for you: dueck. I think you can search to find their Houzz profile. Your project has grown and I hope you are getting an architect to do the plans. Moving a kitchen & bath plus adding such a large addition! WOW Congrats!
    Steph thanked pattiegoode
    sstarr93
    Maybe she will... and maybe a building contractor will do it or do a part of it.
  • Steph
    The contractor that came over last night was a great help. I am having another one come this weekend. How many bids should I get?
  • Steph
    The main floor remodel I love! The addition on top the garage is a little more challenging...I don't like how wide the master bedroom is...too dormitory for me. I haven't read the article Pattiegoode but I will now. Thank you!
  • Cat Rowe
    I agree with Fred. I would not out one above the mudroom door. Choose a smaller lamp that does not match, but blends well. Great home Steph! And, you have some fabulous ideas, and those from others too! Houzzers are amazing!
    Steph thanked Cat Rowe
  • Steph
    I absolutely LOVE Houzzers! This was a stressful project and now with everyone's ideas/help it has been fun! Lots of great ideas and personalities on Houzz!
  • Fred S
    Three bids is usually enough. You can learn a lot from the different contractors, but don't try to make them compete on price. If you do, you will just end up with the biggest liar, and the price in the end will be the highest. Find the person you feel comfortable with. If three bids are relatively close, you are fine. If not, get a couple more and try to find out the reason for the differences in a nice way. I drew up some plans for a friend's relative and gave her a bid. After I did all the work, she went and got another bid. The guy never even looked at the plans. She just gave him my dollar figures so that he could under bid me. He never even bothered to change my material cost numbers. They were identical. She then asked me why my price was so much higher than his. I gave her a few choice words and left. She waited all winter for the other guy to start, and then he told her he would have to re-bid it. His price was now 30% higher than mine. She now lives in a small trailer house :-)
    Steph thanked Fred S
  • Amy Robinson
    sstarr93....I've been following this board because my house is similar to this and we are in desperate need of help!!! Could you take a look at my board and pics that I've posted when you get time and offer some suggestions???? I've been so impressed with your sketches on this one--it is going to look great!
  • Amy Robinson
    My title is Need a New Roof Style!!! Thanks!
    sstarr93
    Hi Amy! I'm taking a long weekend in NYC...can you wait until Tuesday evening?
    Will look at the thread before then..
    Best regards, sstarr
  • Amy Robinson
    No problem! Enjoy our weekend!!! :)
  • Steph
    Thanks Fred that is very helpful information!
  • Fred S
    It says it is on the picture :)
  • Steph
    Lol r u serious I must be blind...will look again!
  • Steph
    Okay I saw it green gambrel exterior!
  • Fred S
    I'm leaning toward blond.
  • houssaon
    I was thinking that there is going to be a lot of space over the 3 car garage. You could do a two car door with the Gambrel roof and a one car with a shed roof and no second story over it. This will make the third bay look like it was added over time.

Not the best picture, but a two car garage and then another one car garage. Not the same style, but the same concept:
    Downers Grove Residence · More Info
    and
    The Craftsman · More Info

Also, I would get an architect to do the plans and material list. She could come up with some ideas to save space and give you all the function you are looking for. The builder will also have something definite to bid on. I would ask to see some of his work. Also if there has been construct nearby, you can see if you can get a recommendation.

By the way, I found a photo of a garage that looks like the one you are doing:
    Green Tea · More Info
    Steph thanked houssaon
  • Steph
    yeah Fred hate to say it but you are right about the blonde part....houssaon I have actually been looking at the citrus bloom house!
  • Steph
    or blond.....
  • Fred S
    I meant the trim color on the green house :-)
  • Steph
    thanks Fred : )
  • qam999
    Have you considered doing a little something with your foundation at the same time? Stone facing perhaps?
  • Steph
    No I am keeping the stucco. Right now I am trying to figure out colors that would look good on my house.
  • Steph
    They started working on my house! I will put up pictures soon!
  • mrmiz
    cool can't wait to see it!
  • Steph
    They just started doing the siding. Cement slab is poured but they haven't started building the garage yet.
  • Fred S
    Is that green?
    What color is the trim? Kinda looks almond,...
    or blond.
  • Fred S
    Isn't that kind of like showing us your back side?
  • Steph
    Lol Fred...the siding is platinum and trim is beige.
  • Steph
    Here is my house with the remodel! Thanks for all you help!