Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cvongugg

Bad tile install or bad installer

brian d
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi, I purchased the Villa "handmade" (not really but made to look that way) backsplash tile, the installer is blaming the wall, the tile, anything but himself. I'd like your comments on the installation and am I justified in asking him to redo it after it's completed? Many thanks.

I don't have a picture of the store display but I will try to get it later today. They seem pretty even in the store, just a little undulation, not nearly as much as these show and the corners on my install protrude a lot more than the ones in the store.

Here is the website for the tile from Floor and Decor

https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcelain-ceramic-decoratives/artisan-frost-porcelain-tile-100185792.html

Comments (86)

• sanderson5933
    5 years ago

Hi Kristin. It turned out very well. We had the contractor use slightly thicker grout line and used light brown grout (chamois) and we love it. You should go for it. We have had so many compliments. Good luck.

I don't have any close up photos but put in 2 others i had during construction.

• Kristin
    5 years ago

It looks beautiful! Thank you!

• kickerjax
    5 years ago

Hello sanderson5933, We are going to be putting these same tiles in our kitchen and I love how yours turned out. Can you please tell me how thick your grout line is, and how you got it? Are there certain tile spacers that you're supposed to use for "handmade" tiles? Thank you!

• Sue Anderson
    5 years ago

Kickerjax, I'm not certain but I believe our contractor went with 1/4 inch but because they are hand cut they also can not use spacers and should be installed freehand. Costs more but to make sure your look is even it is your safest bet.

• Andrea Lane
    5 years ago

@sanderson5933 Your tile looks lovely! What were the edging pieces you used? Were they the Pencil Rails? I am waiting on my shipment of Artisan Frost right now...... Good to know about the grout line. I was thinking 1/8" but perhaps that is too narrow.....

• Sue Anderson
    5 years ago

Hi Andrea. We actually used white aluminum tile edge trim on the edges of the tile for a clean trim (kept costs down too) and we used Pencil Rails along the floor to give that a nice trimmed look. (look away from the mess, lol)

• Andrea Lane
    5 years ago
    Oh fantastic-that’s what I was hoping you would say!!. :D My Tiler suggested these strips but I haven’t really seen them in use, especially with this tumbled edge tile. Were they just the regular kind from Home Depot or special order?

Your bathroom looks really nice! Love it!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

Andrea,,,the metal edging are from Schluter and it's called The Jolly. (the good metal edging. HD has their own brand). you can order it online, in home depot, or any good tile store.

• Andrea Lane
    5 years ago

@Beth H. Thank you :). I'll definitely check it out...

• Jeri
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Andrea Be sure and take a GOOD LONG LOOK at the Original post's pictures before you decide on small 1/8 grout lines for this ...

While the tile in the original pics look like they have a zero grout line, 1/8 isn't all that bigger and is probably not large enough for this tile.

Just sayin...

And I'm really glad to see this tile installed correctly!! Congrats on all those who chose experienced tile installers for this awesome wavy tile!

It really is worth the extra expense when these good results are shown.

I just Love a weird tile! ♡

• Andrea Lane
    5 years ago
    @jeri Yeah... :) We will be having an experienced tile installer do the installation, but my husband and I have already discussed the fact that 1/8 will be too tight for this tile as it leaves no wiggle room. We did a similar, but smaller (2x6) tile in our last kitchen, from the Tile Shop and used 1/8 but I think the tile face was more uniform so it worked beautifully. I love unusual tiles too!
  • Andrea Lane
    5 years ago
    @Sue Anderson - Sorry All for bumping this thread again...(And happy holidays!). Sue, did you also use the Artisan tile as your shower threshold (it appears to be something more uniform). I would have asked you in a direct message but I cannot see a way to message you directly. Ps. I ordered chair rail for this tile and all but 3 of the pieces we smashed/broken...

@Geri I discussed spacing with my tile installer today and we were looking at 3/16ths but may possibly bump up to 1/4”. I’m going to show him Sue’s photos.
  • margarita mimi
    3 years ago

these are villa artisan tiles from Floor and Decor. I used them in the three colors they came in at the time. grey in the bath. blue in the guest bath, and white in the kitchen. they are amazing. They look like the zellige /moraccan tiles popular today. They have an uneven appearance. Having said that, none of my applications look as uneven as yours. I say its the installer's fault. But I am late to the party. How did it all end ?

• Allyson Gray
    3 years ago

@margarita mimi, I’m debating using these in my kitchen, but now I’m nervous! Can I see a picture of yours??

• Andrea Lane
    3 years ago

@Allyson Gray I also used these, in white in one of my 1/2 bathrooms. We have enough left over and am considering using them in the kitchen but with a grey grout. I'll post a photo of ours - it looks really great, although the tiler had dreams about this tile haha. They do tend to be uneven so make sure you have a nice flat wall (we didn't) and the tiler is experienced.

• Andrea Lane
    3 years ago

Here's right after we hung the mirror etc.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

I would expect that these tiles, laid on a flat hard surface, would not be flat themselves. They look warped or crooked to begin with. I’ll stick with tile that IS flat and even.

• Rob S
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Andrea Lane that bathroom looks great! We're getting ready to use the Villa Artisan Frost in our master bath. What width grout line did you end up using, and were they installed using spacers? I'm also curious about the trim pieces used at the top of the short wall. Are those part of the Villa Artisan line? I haven't seen those at Floor & Decor. Thanks!

• Andrea Lane
    3 years ago

@Rob S thank you! The trim piece I ordered through floor and decor web site, and are part of the same collection. I’ll check on the grout lines.... yes he used spacers.

• Andrea Lane
    3 years ago

1/8”

• Rob S
    3 years ago

Perfect, thanks! And I did find that chair rail tile on the website - just hadn't seen it the store.

• Debra May
    3 years ago

Andrea Lane...what grout color did you use with the Villa Artisan tile?

• Andrea Lane
    3 years ago

@Debra May I'll double check. I *believe* it was TEC Bright White from Menards. It seems to be a pretty true white, not yellow-ish out of the bag like the HD white. But I'll get back to you...(Our tiler left all the grout here).

• Debra May
    3 years ago

Thanks so much, Andrea! I'm selecting my grout color tonight. I had Mapei white selected, but my installer wants to use the Tec's line. How do you like the tile once it was installed? Did the grout lines look uniformed? I love the character of the tile, but I've gone back and forth between it and a similar tile that has straight edges. Your thoughts?

• Carly Ristow
    3 years ago

Hey all! I’m a newbie here...i

picked this exact tile for my kitchen, but now I’m nervous😬 I was considering doing a darker gray or a black grout, as as my kitchen is very white with stainless steel appliances and black hardware on cabinets.

I’m so done making decision-please help!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Carly, we can't help because you've posted no pictures.

please start your own post, with pictures, if you want some ideas.

(however, I'd say stick w/a light gray or white grout, based on the type of tile you picked. )

• Carly Ristow
    3 years ago

Thank you! I’m going to try and start my own post! I’m new here☺️

• nancy_hutchinson33
    3 years ago

Call Dale Cox Tile, he is the best. 859-324-1640

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

nancy_hutchinson,,,

first, no one asked for a tile-setter recommendation. (And this post is 3 years old)

secondly, posting someone's number like this is stupid.(how many readers do you think live in that area code's region??)

I'm betting you're with Dale Cox and trying to glean business.

• nancy_hutchinson33
    3 years ago

You are welcome

• HU-370006878
    3 years ago

Hello! We had similar tiles installed with a light grey grout and the grout is coming out not consistent in color (and it’s been several weeks.) our installer says it’s the shadows from the undulated tile, but we’re also hearing the mistake is on the installer potentially in how they did the grout. The installers added more grout and it did help a bit, but it’s still not consistent.

What do you think the issue is?

Are the grout lines not big enough?

Does the grout not work well with the tile we picked out?

Does the tile not work well with our lighting?

SO confused here and would appreciate advice! Thanks.

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    3 years ago

The grout lines are fine. If a smidge more grout is added to fill in, you’ll notice a big change in appearance in that the smaller indentations will be gone and the larger ones will not appear small.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

HU-3700,,,,, you're going to have to make your own post w/pictures. how can we possibly answer you if we don't see anything?

• HU-370006878
    3 years ago

Apologies! First time on here!

• HU-370006878
    3 years ago

Sorry!

• Rai F
    3 years ago

I don’t know. But I love the shelves with the tile. What color are you’re cabinet and your pulls?

• Andrea Lane
    3 years ago

@Debra May Sorry I just saw your response! Yes, it was TEC and it looks really great, and is consistent visually- grout lines followed the rough edge of tile, so naturally wider in some spots and narrower in others. Our tiler was pretty particular, which helped. Also, TEC's white (to me) has a blue or silver undertone which I prefer over other brands which can lean creamy. I hope your grout turned out well. :)

• HU-370006878
    3 years ago

Sincere apologies, I misunderstood/misread and thought you meant add photos. Found this post to be similar hence added my dilemma here. New to this platform - will do, thanks.

• Janell Ward
    3 years ago

Soooooo glad I found this post! I was going to buy this tile next week and I didn't want big grout lines at all!! Yikes!! Now I need to find a new one.

• Jeff Diritto
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Andrea Lane - so you have 1/8 grout and it looks good? We are about to do the same but just found this thread while seeing if we could buy new pencil trim without driving an hour one way to floor and decor...

• Andrea Lane
    2 years ago

@Jeff Diritto Yes, we used 1/8 and it looks good. In some (many) places the grout is a little wider than 1/8 because of the tumbled edge. Our tile installer went with the "happy medium", and tended to place the spacers between narrower spots. We used a white grout (TEC Brand) and are very happy with the result.

• jkathryne
    2 years ago

I purchased this tile from Floor and Decor in 2021. Artisan Villa Oyster. The color was perfect. Unfortunately, the tile is very wavy and high gloss. i used as a backsplash in kitchen. It looks awful and i will probably end up redoing. i have lived with for 4 months and cringe everyday. i made a $2,600 mistake. Let me be clear that the person who installed the tile did an excellent job. Beth H- attached are pictures, sorry for delay. i think the problem with the tile is it is the very high gloss and wavy tile. Zoom in on the tile. i am able to use the coffee maker, air fryer, and flowers to try and hide my mistake ☹️☹️ i suppose i could hang something above cooktop. i have been looking for something to put on tile to take sheen off, no luck

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

jkathryne,,,,,I don't think it looks bad. looks like regular tile. it's just the way your light is hitting it.

you could prop up some wood cutting boards behind the stove. (I do w/mine. I have 3 of them. and no, they don't catch fire!) if you're worried, remove them while you cook. but I have marble so I use them as a shield for oil splatters.

• Lynn B
    2 years ago

@jkathryne, would you mind sharing what grout/color you used?

• shamelessseamus
    last year

jkathryne, I picked up samples of this very same tile the other day at Floor & Decor. I’m posting a picture of the store display and what it looks like on my granite island. I’m not seeing the reflection you’re experiencing. Did the reflection with your tile not jump out until after installation? Do you think it has to do with your under counter lighting? My kitchen designer is suggesting I tape it to the wall to get the full affect.

• Jane Kim
    last year

How tight was the grout done? How tight should it have been? Thanks!

• jkathryne
    last year

Shamelessseamus post - the reflection jumped out after installation. I taped about 10 together prior to installation and didn’t see the reflection. I should have done a lot more! The reflection is not the under counter lighting.

• jkathryne
    last year

Lynn B - I used the grout color suggested by Floor decor in the product information.

• shamelessseamus
    last year

jkathryne, thanks for the information. I believe the reflection has much to do with the wave in the tile itself. I went back to Floor & Decor and picked up several more sample and also ordered some from Tilebar. I was trying to stay in the same color range. Some of the new samples had that same wave which I could feel if I ran my hand along the face of the tile. It’s really too bad because all the colors I liked best seem to have this same wave to it. I finally went with Floor & Decor’s Canvas La Belle Purity. Definitely a gloss but no wave action. I now realize picking tile for the kitchen can be the most difficult decision in a kitchen renovation.