Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24861409

Brushworks or anyone with paint knowledge...

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Could you explain to me why paint companies change their base? I've been using the same BM formula for a couple decades on all trim (exterior & interior). When I recently went to get a quart mixed up for some touchup I was told the base had changed so it wouldn't be a perfect match.

Another question ...

Getting ready to have the living & dining rooms repainted. In the past we used BM Regal Aquaglo semi gloss on the built-in bookcases and all trim. I don't think they make that anymore, do they? When we did the addition 10 years ago I requested BM Satin Impervo. I'm thinking that's what I should use on this new project.

Walls are eggshell. Guess that would remain the same.

Comments (6)

• nicole___
    6 years ago

FYI All paint bases have changed. New VTOC regulations. Behr now has a paint base for light colors and dark colors, low VTOC. In the old days it was flat or eggshell or gloss or high gloss for your base choices. Now the color your mixing dictates a different "base".

Then......Ralph Lauren came out with paint-with-texture. Some glitter, some look like suede....and so on. So now they have "glamour" paints with their own special base and special application.

I currently only buy paint with primer in it. Yes. I use satin on the walls, it's still the recommended finish. You can computer match any color.

I used to use a Kilz primer then paint, not any more. They also will tint Kilz primer.....something new-to-me. Primer used to be ONLY white.

I use BM colors/color charts, but not their paint.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So it's a result of regulations?

I think they've been tinting primer for years. Pretty sure it was used last time the living room was painted in 2004.

• nicole___
    6 years ago

Because of regulations everyone had to change. The paint business is BIG! Very competitive. Always improving. New UV for exterior paint. Paints that stick to plastic. I'm a consumer. I paint whole houses. I still use oil base/alkyd when needed, water based ....latex......as a consumer. I'm not a chemist. Maybe someone else can give a broader explanation.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Does Aura satin respond like Waterborne Satin Impervo? And if so, what's the difference? The problem I've run into in the past when using latex (Regal Aquaglow) on flat surfaces like shelving, is that it takes FOREVER to dry.

I'm actually very impressed with the Regal Aquaglow Satin that was used on the walls 14 years ago. When I removed artwork recently the only evidence that something had hung there was the picture hanging hardware. No discoloration where things once hung.

• Michael
    6 years ago

I've never used waterborne Impervo, just the alkyd, and haven't used alkyd paints in many years.

Aura is fast drying, sometimes too fast for inexperienced painters.

If you don't mind using a different product than BM, the PPG Break-Through for trim, doors, shelves, cabinets, is also an excellent choice. I usually spray it, but it's also easy to brush.