Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahbeara007

Should we put french door leading to our bedroom from the living room or just a regular entrance from the hall

Sarah
10 years ago
We just moved into our new house. The previous owners opened up the master and converted it into a large office. We want to turn it back into the master but there are exterior french doors going out to the pool and a big opening going into the living room. We are toying with the idea of putting custom french doors in front the living room to the master but don't want it to be the focal point of the room. Alternatively, we could close off the opening and just open up the old doorway which has been converted into a closet. Any thoughts? Pictures are looking into the would-be master from living room, looking into living room from hall and looking into living room from master. Thanks for reading! :)

Comments (20)

• Joice Cain
    10 years ago
    I love French doors but here it looks like your bedroom already has it leading to the outdoor, which may make French doors a little redundant. I could be wrong, but it's a thought.
  • Shelby Albritton
    10 years ago
    definitely put in french doors, having your bedroom wide oped to the living room automatically makes it the focal point, closing it up will give privacy and make your house look even more put together. and you don't have to worry about the french doors becoming the focal point when you have a gorgeous fireplace like that.
  • Joyce E
    10 years ago
    I agree with the comments already made, including yours that french doors there could draw attention away from that awesome fireplace and attractive living room. And as Keitha points out, you probably would value more wall space in the reclaimed bedroom. Only suggestion I can add, is that to save some of that nice wall-to-wall light, maybe make the new, smaller door one with glass panel, but fitted with a sheer curtain, to offer privacy but still let some light through.
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the comments. They are all very helpful. Instead of French doors, what do you think of the barn door (sliding) look?
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Photo of the barn door idea...
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Too casual and rustic for my taste. I think you would be better served by closing the wall back up and gaining the wall space for both rooms.
  • Yun Wang
    10 years ago
    How about a simple double sided door like this?

Really cute dogs by the way!
  • Joyce E
    10 years ago
    I like the barn doors, if you want to keep the opening but be able to close off for privacy, seems perfect, and I think wooden doors could work well with your stone fireplace and mantel. Cool idea!
    10 years ago
    Yes and maybe put some pretty white kind of see through curtains.
  • Patricia Rainier
    10 years ago
    What a lovely master. The fireplace is beautiful. I have french doors leading into my master and also leading out to the pool. However, the doors in are from the hallway and are solid. I don't think I would want to put glass french doors in but the double doors suggested above are very pretty and also private.
  • PRO
    Barn Doors & Hardware
    10 years ago
    Hi sarahbeara, Rustica Hardware has hardware just like this. It's called Biparting hardware.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Sliding doors are probably not as private and noise blocking as French Doors. I like the idea of French doors, but maybe with glass only on top or frosted glass, or a curtain. Would allow the room be either a master or an office, depending on your needs down the road. And it would allow a lot of light into both rooms.

Besides, that step will look strange without a double door or opening proportional to it, and with the vents built in, it can't be easily torn out.
  • PRO
    Robert
    10 years ago
    I think it would be a good idea to reopen the old door and put up a wall on the opening in the living room to provide privacy to the master. I think you could keep the french doors leading towards the pool.But again that is entirely up to you.I feel the french doors otherwise would not be necessary in the living room as they would take away the attention from the beautiful fire place.Therefore I feel it would be a better idea to do away with them.
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    I would close off the bedroom and remove that step. Do you have other access to pool?
  • dreamhomeinwkz
    10 years ago
    close if off - master bedrooms are key for privacy for most people (if it was a guest room/office - or even a play room or if you have a loft or studio type home the barn doors or french are good but not for a traditional house from the living room in my mind)...hope it helps
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    10 years ago
    Is it out of the question to use that space for TV viewing instead? I notice you mounted it next to the fireplace, so now you have two bold focal points in that room. Wouldn't it be nice if that pool door remained accessible to everyone without having people traipse thru your bedroom? And another thing--look at the fantastic cross breeze/light those open spaces provide.

My suggestion (and it's a very inexpensive one!) is to reconfigure it as a TV room and invest in two new stair registers that more closely approximate the wood tone on the risers--instead of keeping those two that are shocking white:)

Would a TV room there work with the master bedroom, or is there a privacy issue around that wall that I can't see in the photo?
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    I had french doors in a loft I used to live in. They're useful for very small openings but yours is too large for it. I agree with the others who said to close it up and put a regular door there. You'll use the wall space. The only thing you need to remember is no matter what you do, the other side of the closure will be much darker than it is now, so you'll need to compensate for that. Where did the previous owners sleep?
  • raineycarole
    10 years ago
    Old post
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    Thanks rainey, I didn't think to check the discussion's date. Why do people go 8 months back and push old discussions upwards in beyond me...