0

Did you hire an interior designer in addition to a kitchen designer?

ocean78
I’m doing a complete remodel of my kitchen. The layout is set and cabinets are ordered. I know what stone I want on the island, but am having a hard time figuring out what to choose for everything else. Did you hire an interior designer to help you with the finishing touches in your kitchen? Do you think it is worth the money or that it maybe saved you money in the long run? Thanks!

JAN MOYER

"The layout is set and the cabinets are ordered. " You've chosen the tops. You won't find a KD interested in the rest, too small a project. Find an interior designer who will specify a single day fee for the remaining selections. I will only HOPE your plan has considered well, all the other elements......

The time to get the help was at the onset of project: )

• ocean78
    Thanks Jan. I worked with a KD to design the kitchen layout and choose the cabinets. She is still available to help. Where I am getting stuck is picking the perimeter countertops, backsplash, and paint color. I realize waiting on the backsplash and paint colors are advisable, but I want to make sure I’m making choices that will look good together and give us the timeless look we are going for. Just not sure if it is worth paying the extra $ for an interior designer or if I should just continue to run my options by my KD.
    JAN MOYER

Assuming the KD also is the one who sold you the cabinets....be prepared for little interest, she has made her profit most likely. In which case an interior designer will consider the kitchen within the envelope of the REST of your home, and adjacent spaces. And yes......that is "worth the money" A kitchen doesn't live in isolation........

What kind of KD leaves a kitchen unfinished. I bet one from a cabinet store . Get a designer in now to help with the rest hopefully you will find one willing to take over where yours left off.

• artistsharonva

I know people who had a cabinet company layout kitchens & an interior designer through the design process. The kitchens came out extra gorgeous.

I also know DIY that did well, too. I also seen some DIY kitchen that should of used a designer.

The safest route is to hire a Pro to help you out with the rest. Trust your instincts. If you think you can pull it off go for it. Feeling too nervous hire someone to assist.

Wishing you success in your project.

• kimihh

There are still plenty of details to be chosen where an interior designer can be very helpful. Countertop and backsplash color and material, hardware choice and size, lighting choice and size, paint color. This is where it pays to have someone knowledgeable about color compatibility and scale guiding your choices. A good one may suggest things you’re not thinking of and steer you away from making a bad choice. If you can afford to hire someone to help, do it.

• Miranda33

Joseph canid - it doesn't look like you read the OP or the thread. The OP asked "where I am getting stuck is picking the perimeter countertops, backsplash, and paint color." Why would you hire an architect? Or was your post just SPAM to get people to click on that link? SMH.

I had both a KD and an interior designer help me. Yes, the KD was the cabinet salesperson - a thing of horror on this forum - but he was so great. His credentials were impeccable with a degree in design, and 20 years of experience. However, he did not help me choose the counters, the backsplash or the wall paint color. I hired an interior designer, who I paid by the hour. That did add up, since just going to the stoneyards alone was a number of hours, and then the tile stores. Wall paint color did not take much time at all. The expense was worth it IMHO.

GreenDesigns

A Kitchen Designer considers the kitchen in relationship to the home as a whole. That includes picking finishes and fixtures. A cabinet seller is only interested in the cabinet portion.

Now, if you want the living room changed over and all new furniture and a new layout there, an ID is useful for that. Or if you are doing a whole home redevorating with an ID, they're responsible for coordinating the whole, and they work with the KD to make sure that happens.

But if if you are doing a kitchen, all you need is a real KD. They do more than layouts. Like any other designer, that time is not free. You will need to pay them for full service designing. You might also want them for the project management portion too. Don't let the contractor work like the fox in charge of the henhouse.

• auntthelma

I used sisters and friends. Lots of input from people with great taste.

One a marketing professional, a fashion designer, an artist, a musician. It was fun.

• MaryMargaret Sambas

The Kitchen Designer who I worked with helped with colors, the lighting plan, the tile and grout. With everything, actually. She wasn't tied to a cabinet store though.

• Tracy
    We were fortunate to not have to change the layout of our kitchen so we didn't need a KD. I found a kitchen on Pinterest that I fell in love with and took inspiration from that. I would say though, that I had a pretty good idea ahead of time, regarding the look I wanted. I also put together a visual 'board' of different materials, paint samples etc to make it all cohesive. I looked at many, many kitchens - online and off, drove my husband insane and probably our contractor too! I am so happy with the results though. Our kitchen is not huge, but it is a beautiful space now and a joy to work in!
  • Jo
    The kitchen designer I used was also willing to help us with choosing the counter top, paint colours, etc., however we did use an interior decorator to help us instead.