crystal_bright2824

OH have times changed

Crystal Bright
last modified: June 11, 2013
After doing a few years of textbook home design and staging houses for sale, I realized that just like everything else in the world, home staging has evolved in many ways from the textbooks ideas. I love how everything is always evolving including design, and Houzz is such a great way to keep me updated on trends. Technology makes a huge difference in how I choose to stage homes.

When families come into a new home for a showing, they want to be able to envision themselves there. So too much personalization can be off-putting, and turn buyers away. There are homes that are amazing in their design but may not be what that client wanted to imagine when envisioning that home as their next home. So things that we see in every home like wall paper and furniture and floorings need to be changed or altered to fit a generic but beautiful looking home that anyone could see themselves in.

Televisions are becoming common in staging for me because many times when someone is looking at a space they are mentally imagining where their television will be able to fit. Before I ventured on my own designing homes, I would say television in the home was a big no-no. Make the home seem as boring as possible and have the table set like dinner was about to be served. But thats not how the collective lives anymore.

Yes, of course we want to be able to picture our families together eating and communicating over dinner but realistically, coming from one home to looking to buy another, people don't want their lives to change too much or the showing can become overwhelming. Small changes like mounting or standing a flat screen television in a home for sell may make a world of difference.