Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
courtney_moses

Accent wall(s) or going dark in strange layout. Need opinions.

Courtney Moses
6 years ago
First of all, please excuse the mess. We are reorganizing and remodeling another part of our house currently and this space has turned into the temporary home... my husband even decided to hang up some displaced pictures there. :) The fan is going to be moved to another room and replaced with a nice lighting fixture, so ignore that as well.

We are going to repainting our whole interior and replacing the thin oak trim/baseboard with thick, white baseboard and door/window trim. The husband (and honestly me too) would love to paint the whole place like the darker living room in the photos I'm posting, but I imagine it looks better in my head than it would in reality. The room is high ceiling one end and slants all the way down to the other end. The kitchen, a landing above the kitchen, dining room, living room are all one "room" at different levels with a ton of railing all around. Railing will also be updated drastically at a later date. New flooring and general feel of the house is similar to the lighter walled reference picture. (I'll try to add more pictures in the comments). All furniture seen is on it's way to be donated ASAP, so ignore them.

We are planning to build a huge bookcase into the wall where the two ugly bookcases are currently (with the help of a contractor). We plan to include a sliding library ladder. The area near the hexagon window will be a reading area with cozy seating and lighting.

So, that brings me to my question: With a strange layout like this, can I get away with dark walls? If not, which walls in that reading book area should be dark (as accent walls)? Could I get away with painting the two walls (hexagon window wall and cabinet wall) and the ceiling to create a super cozy section? Or would that be awkward looking?

Thanks for any opinions. I'm just at a bit of a loss with all the angles and conjoined rooms! Please let me know if any more details are needed to answer my question. I understand I'd probably have to repaint before selling the house since most prefer lighting colors, but that isn't a huge concern to me.

Comments (9)