Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosazone5

Winter sowing Verbena bonariensis

bella rosa
6 years ago

Has anyone had any luck winter sowing Verbena bonariensis and if so, what's your secret? I can never get this plant to grow. What am I doing wrong?

Comments (17)

• whatis123 Mo.(6)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks for asking bella, I would like to know too.

So far I am WS some in jugs and saving half for direct planting later.Zone 6

• mnwsgal
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yes, it germinates well in ws containers. It also self seeds in gardens. I ws one year and always had vb every year afterwards from self sown plants. In my z4 garden self seeding was not a problem. Seedlings were easy to pull or hoe out and easily transplanted to other areas.

bella rosa thanked mnwsgal
  • bella rosa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mswsgal, did you cover the seeds with soil?

• whatis123 Mo.(6)
    6 years ago

Thank you mnwsgal. Good to know.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    6 years ago

Just saw this post, but I WS Verbena last year and it did very well. Got my seed from SwallowTail Seeds. I don't cover any seeds unless they are huge, which means they are outright in obvious need of cover. Huge seeds are things like Nasturtium and Sweet Peas. All other seeds regardless of sowing directions gets sprinkled on top. This may not be the best in way in many people's eyes, but the moisture trapped in the jug seems to encourage germination for them all. Anyway, my V bonariensis germinated very well. Wish we could figure out why yours didn't.

• mnwsgal
    6 years ago

I also did not cover small seeds. Sprinkled them on top of moist mix and pressed them down with a plastic spoon to be sure they had good soil contact.

6 years ago

Thanks for the confirmation, mnwsgal. I should have said one reason I only surface sow is because I believe that as the seeds sit they often "settle" into the soil, especially as it goes through freeze/thaw cycles. All seeds seem to settle into the soil well and get light if they need it, and something like cover if they need that. Not sure why it works that way, but Ma Nature sure is persistent to make things happen!

• ladyrose65
    5 years ago

I got them to germinate; however they did not come up the following year. Their like Annuals for me.

• docmom_gw
    5 years ago

They are annuals.

5 years ago

They’re hardy to zone 7, so a definite annual for me.

5 years ago

We had a brutal winter, but snow cover. That was good for plants. But April was a dandy and some things didn't survive the cold snaps while coming out of dormancy. Amazingly, some of my Verbena bonariensis survived and have excellent shoots coming up from the root. I can't believe it! No, they are not seedlings. The roots survived!

• Cathy Kaufell
    5 years ago

I have a large section that
    reseeds itself every year. I grew
    one plant many years ago. After it’s
    done blooming around late August I try not to deadhead it and it will reseed
    itself during the summer.

bella rosa thanked Cathy Kaufell
  • bella rosa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was able to WS this plant successfully. Thanks everyone.

• aak4
    5 years ago

bella rosa, I know this thread is a few months old, but did you do anything differently to get them to germinate and grow this time?

• bella rosa
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hi, I think the only difference was that I didn't cover the seeds. I was pleasantly surprised when they finally germinated. I planted them and the butterflies LOVED them.

• aak4
    5 years ago

Thank you! I'm going to try and scatter some seeds in my garden this Spring. Hopefully I'll get a lot of them everywhere!

Sponsored