0

Dining room design disaster area - wear your hard hat!

Kelly

I realized how quickly a room in design transition can go from functional space to storage space. That being said - I need help here. Dining room dimensions are approx. 14' x 11'. Northern exposure with one big window on north side. Clearly I've begun the search for wall color, to no avail. Things that need to stay (at least for now) - table, chairs, rug and installed buffet (which needs a new updated look/color). I am not opposed to painting the chandelier or replacing it with something else (yes that's a monkey in the middle of it) and painting/staining or changing floor underneath rug. Curtains can go too. I've attached pics of connecting rooms (foyer and tv room, which are not entirely finished either) to show you the context for a transitional scheme with a slight modern vibe. Many thanks for any adjustment in direction or advice you might have!

• saratogaswizzlestick

I would hang the curtains at ceiling height and get them with a pattern that has the colors of your chairs and rug. Paint the buffet and the bottom of your chairs black. I would get a different Chandlier.

Kelly thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • colonel115

Can you remove just the top part of the built in unit?

• Kelly

It was bolted 20 yrs ago to wall but I am guessing it can be removed (with some difficulty). I don't have a lot of storage space tho - so I'd need to make up for it somewhere else.

• Manon Floreat

With north facing rooms, it's helpful use warm and saturated wall colors to mitigate the "cold" from the north.

Colors for North Facing Rooms

I see that you have yellow accents in your lovely living room. Perhaps you could consider a golden yellow wall color. You could even paint your sideboard blue to echo the blue in your living room rug.

Michigan Summer Home · More Info

Traditional Dining Room · More Info

1929 Tudor Gets Bright & Colorful · More Info

Kelly thanked Manon Floreat
  • tfitz1006

The blue rug in the LR looks very nice, but for some reason the one in the DR is not working. I'd just remove it for now. I agree the upper cabinet needs to go. It's too "looming". We are just getting ready to downsize and I was able to let go of a lot of things in my china closet. Maybe think of thinning your collection a bit. I would love a crystal chandelier here. Agree to maybe try a warm shade on the walls. I'm a fan of good old traditional Philadelphia Cream. With white sheers or a neutral linen panel. Such a lovely home you have!

Kelly thanked tfitz1006
  • colonel115

If you removed the upper portion that would give you a nice wide space above your lower 'buffet' for installing open shelving. You could paint the wall with shelving the navy to coordinate with your rug. Then choose a print for your curtains that ties your green in. Or, if you aren't afraid of wall paper that wall could get the coordinating print and the curtains could be solid. I would probably change the light fixture first :)

Kelly thanked colonel115
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Not sure how you think that blue rug can stay. The rest works. I lowered the chandelier.

Kelly thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Kelly

Okay sounds good. I will replace chandelier, remove upper cabinet and start looking into yellows for wall that work with the chair color as well as with the northern exposure. Any suggestions for a yellow wall color that might work with beige color of the chairs and not fight with greige undertones of hallway wall paper and colors of tv room? Although I do like the idea of possibly painting a feature wall with shelving and the buffet navy since I need some of it to balance out both rugs...but if I do that - not sure what I'd do on the rest of the walls? It is a very small room. And what are your thoughts about the floors - they are very beat up underneath rug. Should I re-stain or paint or replace the flooring that I have in there now? Many thx for all your thoughts and comments.

• Kelly

**UPDATE: been transitioning this small north facing dining room since last February after I got some great ideas on Houzz. It isn't done yet but I'm happy so far - so thank you! Coming back to u for ideas about finishing it off - especially need idea for window treatments, framed painting/print or other wall decor and anything else that pops into your head. Floors need to be refinished at some point but not doing it right now. Walls were painted BM Edgecomb Gray, ceiling- BM 25% Edgecomb Gray, molding- BM Dove White. Buffet was painted to look like wood.

Flo Mangan
    Very nice. Your lower profile chairs are perfect. Good move. Lighter colors open up room. I also like the mirror and how it reflects all the way to the living room. It almost acts like art. As to window treatments, i would just keep it simple with light linen panels hung high and just kissing floor. Pottery Barn has some that could work. Nice job.
    Kelly thanked Flo Mangan
  • kulrn

Very nice!

Kelly thanked kulrn