Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kassarian

Lightened up my living room and transformed my kitchen

Kimberly
10 years ago
After getting divorced 2 years ago, Ive been trying to make the house more my space. I realized I felt like I was living in a dark hole in my living room, especially during the day; dark walls, dark furniture, dark carpet, etc. So I decided to paint an go lighter picking a gray theme (i know, not a very cheery color) to lighten and still incorporate my furniture and decor. I also got the bright idea that while I would also paint my kitchen which had never been painted, I would revitalize my cabinets to a more modern look. LOTS of work to paint an entire main floor, replace all the old base boards, and transform kitchen cabinets. But it was worth it. And by doing it myself, it was cost efficient. (I wish I could post more photos. These don't give the full spectrum of the work that was done.)

Comments (5)

• decoratinglady5
    10 years ago
    Great job...a colorful mat would add something at your sink area.
  • decoratinglady5
    10 years ago
    On the floor..lol
  • judygalloway
    10 years ago
    Great job. I would go "hog wild" and paint the cabinets in Ben Moore's SNOW high gloss bright white and the interiors in a bright yellow or orange or my favorite a dark blue. Buy a blue and white bowl at a flea market and fill with lemons or green apples. Voila!
  • Kimberly
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @judygalloway - I already transformed the cabinets from the light wood to the dark color in the pics and I painted the walls a light gray making everything less dated. I replaced the trim with white.
  • butlera
    10 years ago
    This is an excellent example of a kitchen transformation without a big output of money. Looks so much better! Great job! I agree with decoratinglady....a colorful mat, as opposed to the neutral one, would be great. Perhaps a mat in one or both of the hanging mug colors.