Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron1118

Glass railing vs cable rail

ron1118
10 years ago
Hi,
We are in the process of putting up a roof deck and will be using steel and wood for the railings and stairs. However we can't decide between cable or glass for in between the posts.

I know the positives of glass will be the wind break and the non-obstructed view, but generally how often will they need cleaning? I don't mind cleaning them now and then, but I don't want it to be a constant fight.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Mega Builders
    10 years ago
    Glass will not be a 'constant fight'. Occasional cleaning is all you'll need to contend with.
    If you are in a high wind area, make sure posts are properly anchored to prevent excessive movement of the entire assembly when under wind pressure.
    Good luck!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Glass handrail only needs a good cleaning when they get wet or dusty.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    I love my glass barrier but I have to paint (with wipe off white pen) figures and objects during the spring and fall to stop birds flying into them. There is a moment in the seasons where the light renders the glass totally invisible to birds... and I feel so bad when I find a dead bird on the terrace.
  • Kevin Hickland
    10 years ago
    I think glass looks classier, and if you get the lass that isn't completely see through you will to have to worry about finger prints and cleaning multiple times a day
  • Sandy
    10 years ago
    eI have glass and I like it except for one thing. My glass pieces are completely framed all the way around with wood. When you are seated in a chair on my deck the top piece of wood, (railing) is right at eye level. This blocks my water view and I am forever slouching in order to watch the world go by. I know some glass barriers don't have that upper piece so the view is truly unobstructed. Something to think about whichever way you go is how it looks from a seated position. I don't need to clean very often and I do like the wind break glass provides.
  • PRO
    Signature Metal Works
    9 years ago
    Consider a metal base on three sides with glass and the top leave open. That will look nice.
  • ealincoln
    9 years ago
    how much will a glass railing run? Any recommendations on hardware?
  • kdhannah
    8 years ago

Thank you for this useful information!!! We are ready to install new railing on our lakefront property!

• kenwillson4
    7 years ago

I do. I have installed glass railings and they require very little maintenance. But it all depends on what quality of glass railings you use. If you want high quality glass railings and need to enquire more then check out http://www.cplrailings.ca/faq/

• Junee Bug
    7 years ago
    May I ask what you ended up doing? Glass vs cable and if you can post pics? I'm in same boat right now.
  • PRO
    Ultra-tec®
    7 years ago

In the debate between
    glass and cable railing there are a couple of blatant differences.

• Cleaning- glass will require cleaning often. Cable railing requires very little maintenance. However, we do recommend cleaning your cable railing to ensure a long life.
    • Air flow- glass will create a wind block. Cable railing will keep the air flowing free. Each of these can be positive or a negative depending on what you are interested in.

The similarity between the two is the unobstructed view.

• Glass offers a clear view when it is clean. When
      it is not, you will not see much beyond the glass. Cable railing in 1/8" diameter almost disappears. We offer Invisiware fittings that hide inside the post when your application allows.

We may be biased towards Ultra-tec cable railing systems, however, I
    believe these points are true.

• PRO
    CPL Aluminum Railings & Glass
    7 years ago

Don’t worry about the cleaning, ron1118. Go for glass railings. And why shouldn’t you when they’re elegant and provide the luxurious look you need? By the way, they’re easy to maintain if you purchase of good quality set from the right railings provider.

You can get a free quote here: https://goo.gl/Lwm26k

• Linda Sands
    6 years ago

I was just told by a reputable stair and rail designer and manufacturer in GA that cable railing on the exterior deck of a mountain house is a bad idea because of the fluctuation of cable strength and tautness with weather changes. Do you agree with this?

• HU-666131
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

There can be tightening and slackening of cables with weather changes. It's called thermal expansion/contraction. Yes, you may re-tension once or twice after season changes, but after a couple of adjustments, you'll be done adjusting. Ultra-tec fittings are very easy to adjust by the way. If it were a big deal, cable railing wouldn't be so popular!

Dan Nourse, Mgr Sales/Cust Svc at Ultra-tec

• PRO
    San Diego Cable Railings
    6 years ago

Linda - We have found that preventing cable slacking really comes down to the quality of the materials used for the posts and top rail, which provides a structural frame to sustain the tension loads required to keep the clean lines. Also, having the capability for a subsequent tension will ensure you can always tighten them if needed. We have a few product lines that we recommend in harsh weather environments to meet these needs. Feel free to reach out to us directly, as we would be happy to discuss your project and answer any questions you may have on cable railing materials. Best Regards!

• Andy Chong
    3 years ago

Hi

If any interest to build a new glass balcony railing system with a glass floor. You can feel free to consult: Shenzhen Dragon Glass.

We are a professional glass manufacturer since 1994, we can help.