Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jphillips_3

Kitchen floor, cabinet and granite counter colors - opinions needed!

jphillips_3
10 years ago
I fell in love with black granite when I thought we were keeping our honey oak cabinets. Since then we have decided to replace those also -- going maple. The backsplash I have picked out is glass with browns, grays and slight green in it (see pics). The black granite looks good with it. The dark maple cabinets look good... but I'm not sure that the black granite looks good with the dark cabinets. It doesn't "pop" -- however it is a very "rich" look which is what we are going for.

I don't have a style -- I am rather eclectic. However, the look I am going for is classy and "upscale" -- yet comfortable and practical for a family with four kids. I don't like the rustic look in flooring or cabinets.

We would have loved wood floors -- but with kids and a dog, we just can't do it. So, we decided on ceramic tile that looks like wood. Many were "rustic" (look for cabin)... but did decide on and now love the one in the pictures -- medium color with a slight gloss on the surface gives it the rich look we want.

Now... does it work together though?? I was told by one person helping, yes.... black granite, dark maple and medium wood tile floor is great. Another said counter, backsplash and cabinets are awesome together -- but are cool colors and floor is warm, so no! FYI -- thinking a gray paint... one shade darker than greige (gray-beige).

backsplash with dark maple cabinet, black granite and medium wood colored tile (granite blends more and doesn't "pop"?... is there both warm and color colors going on?)
OR
medium maple cabinet, black granite and medium wood colored tile (cabinet too similar to the floor??)
OR
use a different granite -- like tropical brown -- maybe more practical with kids prints... but doesn't provide that classy look??
OR
Use a different floor -- tile store suggested one with various color tiles including grays and browns... in the picture. Colors match nice with the backsplash, but it is overall less "classy" and more rustic at least up close.

HELP! I need to nail down these decisions soon!

Comments (8)

• Jennifer
    10 years ago
    I like the black granite. The brown option looks too busy with the mosaic back splash to me. I have black Uba tuba and (4 kids too) and its fine for finger prints etc. there is enough speckle/ variation that I don't notice crumbs or finger prints as much. I really like what you have picked out.
  • Laura Ricci
    10 years ago
    I have black granite backsplash and I love it. So, naturally, I love it with your choices.
  • jphillips_3
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You don't think that the wood cabinets will be too dark with the granite? Often black is with medium or light cabinets. What about the floor ....I want a contract, but is that too much? Too warm vs cool? (I don't really get the color family things). Thanks!
  • winnipegmama
    10 years ago
    Since you LOVE the black granite I would keep it. I also think the brown counter top competes too much with the backsplash you chose. the black is beautiful with your backsplash! As for the floors, unless you have lots of windows and light the "hardwood" tile in a rich wood tone may make it feel very dark in your space. You may also feel that there's a lot of wood going on. "Rich looking" doesn't necessarily mean dark tones. I'd love to see the tile you've chosen with your other samples. I think the lighter color flooring will lighten up your color scheme. Good luck!
  • jphillips_3
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Winni - the last picture have is the alternate tile floor at the showroom. The lady is holding up my backsplash, black granite and wood cab sample. Is that what you wanted to see? THoughts?
  • jphillips_3
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Although I do/did love the idea of black... the finger prints, dust etc.. do worry me some.. and I do want to showcase both the granite and the cabinets and have both be a pop/wow factor. How would Brook Brown Granite go? I don't have a sample of it... and didn't hold things up to it yet... but remember looking at it for my bathroom project. I thought then it was too light for that project... and appeared almost "gray".... well, maybe for this kitchen it would go well?? I'll have to run to get a sample of it tomorrow if I have time!
  • jphillips_3
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The alternate floor (non wood tiles in the last picture) cost about double... so an additional $900ish. A lot.. but big picture not really IF it is the right / better choice. It is a rougher tile, not smooth with a finish/gloss on it. I think that is deterring me from it. I am not sure why though. My 13 year old who has said that most things I have picked are "too fancy" looked at that tile and said it was "terrible... looks like garage flooring"... due to roughness and small pitting effect. So, I'm not sure... colors would lighten room, but not convinced on product maybe? BTW... my original wood tile was much darker -- that mahogany/cherry look. But then I was going with a lighter cabinet. I decided against it since the red tones conflicted with my room doors and trim.... and the white dog hair and dust after a day laying on my floor was also a good reason! So, to me, the wood tile I know have doesn't seem that dark!