ac91z6

Sources for the 'real' Reine des Violettes

ac91z6

I've been trying to track down a good source for the 'real' RdV and so far Gardenweb has just made my head spin. I thought I'd found a good post/thread but I can't find it again, in either my bookmarks or by searching.

I know a lot of the sources many of you got your best 'Violettes' from are no longer in business, and much mourned. Just about every site lists it as 'thornless' and near purple, but I know from posts on here that there are a few notorious imposters out there (looking at you, Heirloom Roses). If there are any sources you guys know of for the 'real' RdV, what are they?

• ac91z6

A plague on the Houzz developers' houses! Why isn't this showing up in EITHER fourmn?!

Edit: it's showing up now that I've created a comment. Really? We can't see a thread to make comments until a comment is made? In a thread that we can't see because no comments have been made?

Pardon my French acronyms, guys, but WTF?

• Alana8aSC

I got mine from Burlington and she has the right one!

ac91z6 thanked Alana8aSC
  • fig_insanity Z7a E TN

I just got my list from Burling this week, and as of Monday she had RdV in stock. You might as well order two or three others; you know... just to make it worthwhile, lol.

John

ac91z6 thanked fig_insanity Z7a E TN
  • ac91z6

I don't need any more enabling! At least until I get what I've ordered this year in the ground lol. And you can't order just one thing - have to maximize the roses-to-shipping cost ratio and get your money's worth! Burling is going to be one of the first I order from next year though, so it's good to know they're a source!

• purilisa

I ordered mine from high country roses. Waiting for it to arrive..

http://www.highcountryroses.com/

ac91z6 thanked purilisa
  • malcolm_manners

Rose Petals, A Reverence for Roses, Angel Gardens, and Antique Rose Emporium all have the correct one. This is a rose where most nurseries have got it right. More important is their source -- most of the older RdV in the US had rose mosaic virus disease, since it was widely distributed by the infamous and now gone nursery that infected so many of the older roses. But this is one of the first that we heat-treated, back in the mid-1980s, and I know these nurseries got their stock from us. Unlike many HPs, this is a great one for the hot South. It grows well and flowers repeatedly, although not a lot of bloom in high summer.

ac91z6 thanked malcolm_manners
  • Izzy (zone 10)

Mine came from Pickering 14 years ago and I know is the real one. It strikes very easily from cuttings...

ac91z6 thanked Izzy (zone 10)
  • ac91z6

Thank you Malcom! Four sources at once, hooray! I'm pretty sure I remember a post (I'll check my bookmarks tonight) that ARE has a virus-indexed or heat treated mother plant. I know I've got that information somewhere, just not if it was the real RdV or not. For those of us in zones with colder winters RMV does seem to impact rose survival/vigor. My summers are more like the South than, say, Michigan or New York, so that's good to hear about RdV!

Izzy, I've never tried cuttings before - are they difficult to keep alive? I've read some really good tutorials, but haven't had the chance to play with anything. Pickering sounds like it was a really great nursery; I wish I'd gotten the chance to order roses from them.

Purilisa, HCR is on my 'order from next year list'. They've got some cool roses! By any chance, have you asked them about the RMV status of their RdV? I've been meaning to send them an email sometime anyway, just thought I wouldn't duplicate questions.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Purilisa, Ac91z6 - FWIW my first RdV came from High Country Roses and it appears to be the Not RdV since it's thorny and only blooms once. That's no slam on High Country Roses or the Not RdV itself, since it's a ridiculously hardy rose and a very fragrant high impact of a rose in the spring. Just not the repeat bloomer that I'd like it to be. Matt at HCR is very conscientious about his roses so I'd have no hesitation ordering from him. I haven't emailed him my conclusions about the RdV being not the true one, but I've never seen Rose Mosaic Virus on this RdV from HCR in about 7 years. Not saying it couldn't be there, since it can lie dormant in just about any rose, but I haven't seen it on mine.

I now have RdV from Burlington and I'm pretty sure it's the right one, being thornless at least. I haven't gotten a bloom from it but I expect she'd be sure of her sources.

Cynthia

ac91z6 thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • Alana8aSC

Cynthia do you have a picture of the one you got from HCR? Would love to see it, Thanks!

• purilisa

Oh no! Thank you so much Cynthia!! I will call them to verify and if I dont feel confident about their response I will change to different flower.

• purilisa

@ac81z6 No but I will be checking up on that as well. will report back once I find out..

ac91z6 thanked purilisa
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I am very happy with mine from ARE, and it is great Dr. Manners knows the VI ones!!!

ac91z6 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • portlandmysteryrose

Another vote for Antique Rose Emporium. I'm still verifying Joy Creek. Carol

ac91z6 thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • ac91z6

I found the old thread about sources for RdV that are virus free but it's from 2007, so I'd bet there are more now.

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/rmv-free-reine-des-violettes-dsvw-vd~1716625[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/rmv-free-reine-des-violettes-dsvw-vd~1716625)

I think the only source mentioned in it still around is ARE. Three big ones - Pickering, Vintage, and another - all gone in the last 10 years. Dang.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Alana - sure, here's a photo of my Not RdV. It's a lovely healthy bush so don't hesitate if you like this look Purilisa, just consider it a thorned once-bloomer.

Cynthia

• Alana8aSC

Thanks for posting! It's pretty!

• purilisa

Thank you, Cynthia!! It does look very pretty! But I have wanted an RDV for a long time now. I need to reach out to HCR before they ship it..

• ac91z6

Bumping this thread up since bareroot buying season is almost upon us! Can anyone vouch for Palatine's RDV? For any other bareroot nurseries?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Antique Rose Emporium has the real one is all I know.

• Dave6aMO

I’m wondering the same thing, ac91. I purchased mine from ARE but it didn’t make it through the winter. I regret not growing it in a pot for a season to put on some size. I have wondered if RdV would be more vigorous grafted.

ac91z6 thanked Dave6aMO
  • Krista_5NY

My RdV is from Wayside Gardens, almost 20 years old and I assume it's grafted on Dr. Huey. They don't sell it anymore. David Austin Roses sells it grafted and their photos look like the correct version. They only have a few photos of it on their website.

ac91z6 thanked Krista_5NY
  • Nola Thistle Thrower Z5aWI

My RDV was purchased in 2011 from ARE. It is thornless and purple. i contacted ARE a couple of years ago and asked them about the three different RDV’s and they responded that they only knew of the one.

ac91z6 thanked Nola Thistle Thrower Z5aWI
  • ac91z6

The not-RdVs are other roses that have been mislabeled somewhere along the way. Not necessarily bad roses (see Cynthia above) but not thornless almost-purple Hybrid Perpetuals. Some suspect RdV is actually a sport, not a seedling, because one of the imposters strongly resembles the rose she's supposed to be a seedling of. I'm glad ARE has the 'real' RdV!

Thisle Thrower, how as RdV done for you? You're even colder than me, so if she does alright for you she may be worth one of my few remaining spots!

I would've said 'there's only one RdV', but HMF tells me there's a gallica named 'Reine des Violettes' too! https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.46899 No references past 1840 though, probably doesn't exist anymore.

• shebabee

Burling has it, and it's listed as available on the list I received from her a few months ago. It would be the real one. Burlington Rose Nursery of Visalia, Calif.

https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=17.18773

• pippacovalent

I think HCR has the correct one now. I believe awhile back someone purchased one and when it wasn't correct they notified HCR and then they obtained the correct one so what they sell now I believe is the correct one.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Yep, that's true Pippa - Matt from HCR not only checked his RdV when someone notified him, but he went the extra distance to obtain the correct RdV for sales, as well as contact me out of the blue to say he now had the right one and would I like a free replacement? Wow - gotta love conscientious and thorough rose vendors. I didn't need a replacement but I was touched. I would always recommend HCR among the great rose vendors already mentioned, but I was extremely impressed with his integrity as well as communication on this particular issue and wrote back to tell him as much.

So bottom line, HCR now also has the correct RdV.

Cynthia

• smithdale1z8pnw

I got mine from Joy Creek last year, does anyone know if it's the right one?

• Nola Thistle Thrower Z5aWI

My RDV is 8 years old from ARE but I only started fertilizing it this year so it has been a very slow grower, but is persistent. She has beautiful coloring, is thornless and wonderfully fragrant. I do mulch it for the winter but I've never had a problem of it coming back and it now has canes at least 5-6'. It does bloom more than once. We had polar vortex temperatures in January 2019 of -26 degrees and I didn't loose any roses luckily, so I think it is quite hardy. Sorry the pictures are so big, I have never posted pictures on here before and am not sure how to minimize them. These were taken today, it is usually a bit more violet-purple than magenta.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Beautiful, Thistle!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Those are incredibly beautiful pictures! I feel like I could hold it in my hand and get wet!