Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
felicity6363

The pineapples or the jellyfish??

Mel
6 years ago

Please help me decide which set of prints to buy and have framed for this back kitchen wall. This is a beach house. Pendant shades will be updated with rustic clear glass shades. Thank you:)!!!

Comments (253)

• Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes thanks Flo. I think, for now, my plan is these corals (if I can get a third) with a creamy white mat and frame. They just seem timeless to me and the abstract ocean paintings I’m not so sure about.

And Eileen’s suggestion of painting that trim and lighting up with some ivory accessories on the other side. I like orange/red with navy so hoping my seat cushions still work. I also have this navy medallion rug under my sink

Thanks again ALL for your help. So appreciated!! Will keep you all posted.

• shwshw
    6 years ago

following...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I do love those coral prints. Looking forward to seeing them hung. Hoping for the 3rd one! I think a wooden bowl on the table filled with shells and a few pieces of faux coral would be interesting too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Deep Wooden Farmhouse Dough Bowl With Handles · More Info
    Something like this bread bowl.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Don't know if this was mentioned, (this is a long thread and I didn't read all of it) but the coral pics look like Ernst Haeckel illustrations.

I needed an inexpensive source of prints at one one point and purchased his book...They're all so beautiful..I highly recommend.

Just a suggestion if you're looking for those or something similar.

• Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Flo. Great idea :). And thanks Pennydesign. I do believe the jellyfish prints are Ernst Haeckel.

• R M
    6 years ago
    Jersey girl, can we see a photo of your kitchen?
  • Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi all! I finally measured at the house. I think 3 large prints would’ve perfect. What do you all think of these? Do you like the starfish and seahorse with the coral? Or should I stick with all coral? Frames would be black with white mat.

• ohsoslow
    6 years ago

Hi Kate - I think the "antique" corals are lovely. They seem to be just what your room needs. Good luck!

• Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Ohsoslow :)

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

I like those. Not sure about the white matt. How about navy matt and driftwood frames?

• btydrvn
    6 years ago
    I think you could choose something with more color...this looks a little bland to me...there are several others in this discussion that would add more life to this room
    Mel thanked btydrvn
  • everdebz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm with suzy about the white mats. Go with chair color: they were there first! ha... maybe a linen/ beige would bring out the counter color too, then ..? why black frames?

• eveuchan
    6 years ago
    I wouldn't do a mat with those prints. I think black frames would look fine as long as they aren't too thick. They would tie into your kitchen. Don't you have black in your counter tops?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I think the different sea items is nice because they each evoke a different feeling. But you can go either way. Not sure what the background color of the print, but I would do a mat that is different color than the background. Not crazy about black frame though. A wood tone that matches the table top or driftwood as suggested above might work well. I see you got the pendants up and they look great! Nice choice.

• Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you SO much Suzyq, everdebz, eveuchan and Flo! Yes I do have some black in my granite. Basically I found inexpensive ones that fit a 16 x 20 print and it has a mat and the size is just what I’m looking for. But perhaps I should go a bit custom... I don’t want to spend a ton but there are sites where I could frame each for under $100... so what do you all think of this look?? I tried to copy this coral print on the Perigold site. Light wood with with cranberry accent mat...

Perigold print - so nice but so expensive!

• Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago

On second thought, as you ladies suggested, perhaps a medium wood color would be better with my light walls...

• Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here it is with a black mat/ brown wood frame. This store didn’t have navy but I’m sure I could find navy somewhere...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    No to black. To much contrast.
  • Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok thanks Flo. How about this? Mat similar to print background like everdebez said, cranberry red accent mat, barnwood frame.

• Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Or more a more rustic reclaimed barnwood...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Either would look good. Your choice.
  • Mel
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Flo :)! Ordered samples. Will keep u all posted!

• Mel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Which looks better? 4 prints or 3?

• marcia4963
    5 years ago

3. 4 is too many

• marcia4963
    5 years ago

Have you tried Etsy? They have amazing prints. Really I think you would love them and they are reasonable. I just put in search "sea prints"

• marcia4963
    5 years ago

I'm basically avoiding doing my own work ;)

• athomeeileen
    5 years ago
    Do three across or two over two.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

What is your question? What is the size of the prints you are doing? But odd numbers are always more pleasing to the eye.

• Mel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Flo and Eileen! Thanks Marcia, I looked at them all, lol. I ordered these red ones already. Flo, I ordered 4, 18x24 prints because they came as a set of 4. I can always find a place for the fourth one if I don’t put it here. I decided no mat. Using these 2 inch frames.

With frames overall dimensions each frame will be 22x28. With spacing that would be a width of about 70. My table is 75.

• Mel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think I like these 3 together best rather than the darker coral.

• C D
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

that looks pretty! and I LOVE your pendant lights!

• Mel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks CD :)!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    They are pretty wide! But sounds like you are committed to the frame size. If you have 4 perhaps stacking two x two would work better?
  • Mel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Flo. I did tape it out and the house & 3 looked good to me. But here’s how it would looked stacked.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I think i like the stacked better. What do you think? The 3 might look a bit to squished in relation to your table.
  • Mel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Flo. I was afraid it wouldn’t be wide enough, lol, that’s why I was asking about the 4. It’s hard to see the blue tape but here’s 23x27 taped out. My frames I decided on will be 22x28. Stacked could be nice too although that make might look too tall? Stacked would be about 58 inches high, 46 wide.

• Mel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beach prints are up! Thanks everyone for the advice!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Those look great and quite chic beachy! Lovely and the color works nicely too. Good job!

• Mel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Flo :)!

• shwshw
    5 years ago

Looks great! Here's the comparison shot for your enjoyment.

• athomeeileen
    5 years ago

Looks great! I love the colors.

• Mel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks shwshw:)!

• Mel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks athomeeileen:)!

• ohsoslow
    5 years ago

Very pretty! Love the prints, the colors, set of "three", and nice frames. Good job!

• owana123
    5 years ago
    These are great! Now you just need a nice wooden bowl with shells and/or other natural elements for the table.... Beautiful room!
  • Mel
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks oshoslow :)! And thanks Owana :)! I know, definitely need something for the table.

• Jerry Sanchez
    5 years ago
    Jelly fish!
  • Kerri Rovi
    5 years ago
    Jellyfish!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

What are you talking about? We have long since gone past the jelly fish! this is the Final "done" photo of the coral, sea horse and star fish.