Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_kuykendall

Girly Woodland Themed Nursery

KK Johnson
6 years ago
I am needing some help in seeing if I am headed in the right direction for our upcoming baby girls nursery. I was thinking of doing a black accent wall behind the crib to make the artwork and gold decal (baby’s name)I ordered pop, but I am open to changing the color to a deep rose.

So far this is what I was thinking...the hedgehog lamp I picked because of the black wall so I’m open to getting a new one if needed. The rug is debatable but I really love the deer and rabbit art, the dresser is a vintage henredon so not getting rid of that (plus storage is awesome with that big beautiful thing) and the crib was picked to go along with the dresser.

Comments (83)

• AB HumVee
    6 years ago
    I love the teal idea, it seems that color will coordinate better with your existing wall color. You can always switch the lamp shade, World Market, @ Home & even Target carry fun affordable shades. Take your lamp in and try a few, might be a fun place for a pop of color. Also, the art probably will look better above the dresser & just the name above crib -- maybe even off center on purpose with a hanging mobile -- a non traditional large peice that has a "baby" feel, but not really for baby. This one is on itsy.
  • mnmamax3
    6 years ago

You really should keep that hedgehog lamp if you can, even if you have to get a new shade or hot-glue some coordinating trim on it. He is so cute! I think the teal could be a good option - happy hunting. I agree with the other posters that the decal will lose a little oomph between the art - UNLESS maybe you mount the decal on a board or frame it out with some trim pieces to give it some depth like the art. With the art and tapestry rug, I wonder if you'd consider some gauzy fabric or tulle draped around the name (maybe with fairy lights)? Sort of like this but more ethereal. Or maybe some kind of tree branch pinning down the tulle. Can't wait to see how this all turns out!

Chesley Knoll - Apartment Entry & Living Room · More Info

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

KK, it is sweet that you are spending this much time and attention to detail...but.....some kids are kinda....like things their own way!!

By the time my boys were 5, they were done with the "baby" furniture, colors, decorating, etc. I am so glad I did not spend a fortune on furniture, accessories, etc. I was able to accommodate their wishes. And then again when they were about 12, it all changed again.

My grand daughter LOVES the color pink. And her room is grey and yellow. And her accessories are grey and yellow and teal. And although she is only 3 1/2, she is already talking about having a pink bedroom. My son and DIL are not happy. They spent a lot of money on her furniture and accessories.

I think the black wall could be interesting. A dark room, IMHO, helps kids sleep, especially at nap time. The hedgehog is darling!!

• KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @ Kathi Steele, this room is just serving as a nursery. We (hopefully) plan on having more kids at which time baby girl will moved upstairs where we have two more rooms and at that time she can have the color and furniture she wants but I do feel that the white and walnut crib and dresser is gender neutral enough to use for whatever the future holds. Everything else is just accessories and paint which hasn’t been expensive. We plan only having two kids and they will both eventually move upstairs when old enough and the guest room we have set up will then be moved into this room, we built a home with the idea of having kids, guest, and parents separated for sanity reasons lol

@ mnmamax3 @ AB HumVee I do really love the hedgehog lamp so it’s definitely staying! I like the idea of adding trim to the shade because the inside of the shade is AWESOME with a deep gold reflective surface that I want to keep. Picking a mobile has been very hard, I had found something with little animals and a flower but I also like the little birds (don’t want to spend a fortune since this won’t be used for long).

This is the color I like, I’m thinking of asking to get it a hair lighter
  • felizlady
    6 years ago
    The hedgehog lamp is cute, but don't put a black lampshade nor a black accent wall in a baby's room! Not a good idea.
  • mnmamax3
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

KK, I might consider a more muted color to let the decal and/or fun painting be the star.

• KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @ mnmamax3 what color is that?
  • mnmamax3
    6 years ago

Benjamin Moore Blue Spruce.

I haven't used it but I have recently used Sherwin Williams Riverway and it came out far brighter than I liked. :)

• Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    Your idea is so similar to what we did in our nursery, thought I’d show you! Everyone thought I was crazy for doing a dark wall too but it turned out well. Sorry about the closed windows, it’s almost bedtime (make sure you have blackout shades, they help so much!). We even have the hedgehog lamp, our little one (now a toddler) loves it!
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @Briana Bosch thank you! Yeah every time I said black wall people would give me a “your kidding right” look lol

Now I’m definitely leaning toward the teal with the rug but it’s still a dark color, I’m so happy someone else had the same idea. Your room looks great, the wall adds a little bit of drama and grown up vide that most nurseries lack, not say they aren’t adorable but just not for my family. My husband and I just aren’t in too all the cute colors and looks (even though some people still think pink oh so boring) darker colors are just not the norm for nurseries.
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @ mnmamax3 Lowe’s doesn’t carry Behr paint :( Lowe’s the closet otherwise I would have to drive to another town...living out of the city makes it a little harder
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The jewel tone teal is out, just doesn’t look great. So I also picked Vining Ivy which is an aqua color, on the bottom left of the photo. I feel good about and I will most likely go back today for enough to cover the wall.
  • njmomma
    6 years ago

following

• christina405
    6 years ago

Yes!!! That appears to be a dark (in the sense of strong) but life-filled color. Nice choice.

• Lindsey B
    6 years ago
    I’m loving how it’s all coming t get her! Not sure if you have decided but I think the deer art should face the bunny. :)
  • mnmamax3
    6 years ago

KK no worries I think what you picked will look great. Usually most paint places can pull up the formulas for the other colors (at least I’ve had them do it at Home Depot for me), just for future reference. Can’t wait to see it all done.

• Odi
    6 years ago
    We had a rose color guest room in the past and we were over that color real fast now we have a navy blue accent wall with rest white. And loved it for 2 years now. My 4 year olds son is charcoal and I absolutely love it goes with any other color and looks very elegant. I think like someone suggested a charcoal would look great with rose colored decor and art. And when you get tired of rose years from now you can easily just swap out items. Good luck and congrats. Either way it will be beautiful!
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Got the wall done and I am super happy with how the color turned out. Outlet plates will go back on tomorrow, I am thinking the artwork and name decal should go up once the crib is set up? I could probably measure out the crib dimensions and hang them but not sure...

I also painted the diaper supply basket the same color (this will hang above the dresser so baby can’t get into it) I just need to put the hardware back on once it has dried.

Feel pretty accomplished for a doing this at 21 weeks without help from hubby lol
  • jacqtopia
    6 years ago

I love your idea of a dark bold color for your nursery. Looking forward to seeing the end result. I have also seen the hedgehog in person and he is adorable!

• Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    It looks great!!! Everyone will be on board once they see your furnishings in the room. It’s also not so “babyish” that it will be quickly outgrown like pastels. Great job momma! ;)
  • christina405
    6 years ago

Wonderful work.

• AB HumVee
    6 years ago
    Love that you are adding pics as you go, looking great!
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Got the diaper supply baskets up, I also found my old baby blanket my grandmother made when I was born. Not sure what kind of label titles to put in the hardware for the baskets, the baskets are pretty large (I know they don’t look it with the 6 feet long dresser) I was thinking Stuff Stuff and more stuff but then hubby was like what if I don’t put something back where you want it? Any ideas?
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @AB HumVee thanks! Not sure how many updates I will have until after my baby shower in a couple of months since one of my husband’s coworkers hinted at buying a “big ticket item” which could only mean the crib and we have bought the stroller and car seat already (we felt that we couldn’t ask people to buy a $900 stroller especially when we found it on sale) so hubby wants to to put off making any more purchases until we know what people are going to gift us. Guess now I will just see about buying some curtains for the room and organizing the baby clothes my cousin gave me.
  • mnmamax3
    6 years ago

How can you put stuff in the wrong basket if it's labelled "stuff"?! :) Put in whatever you want to start. You will need diapers most of all. Pretty easy to change a paper label. Don't overthink this, Mama.

• jacqtopia
    6 years ago

How about "Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice" ;)

• tetheridge0315
    6 years ago

I love what you’re doing and have been silently following along. I just wanted to let you know I had shelving like yours over my changing table and as soon as my son could sit up, he pulled them down. I had to layer them vertically on the side of the changing table, rather than over.

He was 5 months here and this was about when I moved them. Just thought I’d share, because it’s pretty amazing how soon they can pull up!

• Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    We always changed on the floor, no chance of rolling off!
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @tetheridge0315 that is a concern especially because I am so short! This will definitely be something we will watch out for around 5 months :) There are different wall anchors we might switch to once baby is a little older since I don’t want to store in the dresser for baby to access.
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @Briana Bosch husband has a bad back so floor changes were not an option, that is why I got a dresser topper and the changing pad as a belt so baby doesn’t roll off. Everything will be anchored to the wall as to keep secured
  • Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    You can always adjust decor as baby reaches different milestones?
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wondering if I should do dipped alphabet letters (DYI project using leftover paint) or woodland wall decal next to the bookcase? The wooden chair is going to be moved, so please ignore it.
  • Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

Speaking of baby showers and alphabets. My DIL for her baby shower, had all the letters of the alphabet. Instead of playing a bunch of stupid games, we all picked a letter or 2 and using paints in the colors of the babies room painted a letter!! It looks wonderful!! She got 3 of the long shelves from IKEA and put the letters on the shelves.

Every night at bed time, as our grand daughter got a bit older, my son would sing the alphabet song and point out each letter to her!!

I can't believe I don't have a picture, but it is awesome!

• KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I bought some pillows to help add color to the glider and I am liking how it turned out. I believe the mixed fabrics go well together and add a bit of fun. I also found a heart fabric pin board, just need to figure out where to hang it
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Crib finally went back on sale so just ordered that after discussing with the hubs! Should be here at the end the month but if it is delayed we have plenty of time.
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Which color in velvet would you pick? I plan on getting a double rod so I can put a gauzy white curtain on the inside. Teal or wild rose? I’m learning toward just staying with teal but not sure if that would be too much?
  • stefaniebogles
    6 years ago

Ummmm...that is a tricky one because both would look good. I would probably do the teal. Where are they from??

• KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Half priced drapes. I looked at a few of their other velvets and thought about just doing white but I’m sure those would get nasty after while. Also I read that a linen drape could shrink if you use a humidifier
  • judrand05
    6 years ago

Have you considered a lighter weight fabric? Those look a bit heavy and you want to keep everything in your nursery light and airy and fresh feeling, right? What about giant black and white buffalo check curtains? I think they would add some whimsy, and balance out and contrast with your rich teal wall really well.

• KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @ judrand05 thank you for the suggestion but I’m not feeling the checkered look, I think I prefer more solid colors for curtains.
  • christina405
    6 years ago

What about this from halfpricedrapes:

https://www.halfpricedrapes.com/naomi-embroidered-cotton-crewel-curtains-drapes.html

Keeps the woodland theme and is lighter. Otherwise I vote for teal to keep the color focus.

• judrand05
    6 years ago

Good. Trust your own instincts. You're doing a great job.

• KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I went ahead and ordered the teal drapes with a spot puff sheer white drape for the inner lay to help keep the vide whimsical and fun. If they don’t work I can still return/exchange them within 30 days.
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Crib and curtains are in! I know there is a lot of space between the top of window and top of curtain, the windows are 95.3” from the ground so I went up to the 108”; I don’t really mind the height but I know it might drive others crazy. All that is left is to hang the artwork and alphabet!
  • KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you again everyone for the suggestions and @mnmamax3 for the muted aqua because I absolutely love the color! Makes the room so fun while still adult enough to make the us happy to sit in there lol
  • jacqtopia
    6 years ago

It's all coming together so nicely. I think the window looks great too. Good job mama! ;)

• KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Art is up, husband is watching videos over how to put the decal on the wall and the curtains are now straight. Working on my dipped alphabet to hang over the bookcase and debating about making the heart pin board into a hair tie/bow holder with elastic ribbons and gold hooks screwed into the bottom.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

So cute! I love, love that crib, and your dipped letters. great idea.

However, I was in the black wall camp :( , and still think it would look good)

That teal you picked has a lot of green in it. With your drapes, this bluer shade would nailed it

I love those high ceilings in there! have you considered doing anything w/those?

• KK Johnson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here is a photo taken of the drapes in the kitchen with more light, the actual match the wall perfect, they just keep turning out more blueish in the nursery photos. I think it has to do with being so far back from it but in person they are the exact hue as the wall.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

ah, ok,,,yes,,it does. man, those are so pretty. love that velvet. I like them w/the sheers too.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm