Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillsidehouse

Barker Doors vs. Semihandmade vs. Scherr's in IKEA kitchen : RESULTS

Hillside House
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Thought I'd post here, so if anyone in the future is looking for an apples-to-apples comparison between the three companies, the information is readily available. All information has been taken from my quotes, or directly from their website.

I submitted requests for quotes for my modified IKEA kitchen. Cabinets are all installed (and have been in use for 9 months) so we were confident in all sizing and needs. I requested quotes for 38 paint-grade shaker doors/drawers. No fillers or cover panels were needed.

Quote price, out the door:

• Barker Doors - $1349.80 (includes shipping of $188.)
  • Semihandmade - $2744.00 (plus shipping, estimated to my state for $199 to $349, depending on weight.)
  • Scherr's - $2732.20 (Note: I was offered an additional discount by Luke at Scherr's, but this was the initial quoted price. Includes shipping of $195.)

I'll add in more information in the next comment.

Comments (134)

• athleticannie
    4 years ago

Hillside House, I love it! Thanks.

• Inga
    4 years ago

@Hillside House I know I'm a little late to this post, but do you have any finished photos of your kitchen? We're doing Barker as well, and while our plans are to do solid maple cabinets I LOVE your white ones. I'm so curious to see what type of drawer pulls you went with! Is there a post where you have more photos?

• HU-221788792
    4 years ago

Ill try to get a photo fornyou doon, but i have Barker and im 100 percent satisfied!

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s a recent(ish) photo: the day we grouted our backsplash, but it had not been caulked yet.

And an earlier one that shows the pulls better.

• Gloria
    4 years ago

Love your kitchen @Hillside House Would you mind sharing your handles and backsplash? we are in the process of assembling our cabinets right now, I also have white oak floors.

Hillside House thanked Gloria
  • Hillside House
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The pulls are Freestone and the knobs are District, both in Satin Brass, by Emtek. The backsplash tile is by Clé, it’s their zellige subway in Weathered White.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

Hillside House - wow, wow, wow! Love it!

Hillside House thanked wilson853
  • Natalie Eugene
    4 years ago

Christina Callaway Do you have pictures of the alder dent that you have mentioned? I'm curious how bad it is.

• Christina Callaway
    4 years ago

@Natalie Eugene Most of the dings and dents that my cabinet doors got were during the hinge cup drilling process. The doors were handled so much during that process that my pristine, beautiful doors were somewhat less beautiful after we finished. Now that the doors are hung and my kitchen has been in use for more than a year, they rarely get blemishes. I touched up the paint on the initial dings/dent and now I never notice them (otherwise I would send a photo). The most major thing that has happened in the last year was I dropped a can of diced tomatoes and it hit the edge of the stile on a drawer and left a small indentation. But I think that would have been the outcome no matter what type of wood I had chosen!

But like I mentioned in my previous comment, I really wish I had paid the extra $5/door and had Barker drill for the standard hinge cup placement. Then it would have been so easy (and SO MUCH LESS STRESS) to just drill inside the cabinets for the proper hinge placement following the instructions on hogwildhome. Good luck!

• SF User
    3 years ago

Novice question here: is there any difference in the 3 companies (barkers, scherrs, semihandmade) in terms of ability to repaint down the line? ie if we opted for grey cabinets now but decided we wanted to paint white in 5 years - is that more or less possible with any of their finishes?

• PRO
    Scherr's Cabinets & Doors Inc
    3 years ago

There shouldn't be.

Some finishes may be harder to remove or sand through. But I'm pretty sure we all use combinations of solid wood and MDF for our paint-grade doors.

• SF User
    3 years ago

Has anyone had a contractor say they would charge extra to install ikea cabinets? I spoke with a designer today who said a lot of contractors will charge extra because they have to assemble the cabinets themselves compared to custom cabinets, which extra charge eliminates most of the savings.

• athleticannie
    3 years ago

Makes sense. It is more work for them if they assemble them.

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The reason IKEA cabinets are cost effective is because of the DIY aspect. If you’re paying someone else to assemble/install, I’m not sure that IKEA cabinets are much different, cost wise, than many other cabinet lines.

As much of a fan as I am, I wouldn't ever suggest IKEA to someone who isn’t doing DIY.

• Mittens Cat
    3 years ago

We used IKEA vanities in four bathrooms. G.C. had some experience with IKEA but his unsure expression every time I mentioned it gave me considerable pause. I ended up hiring a guy I found on Yelp who'd installed many, many IKEA kitchens. I think he assembled all four vanities in an hour! Well worth the $100 I paid him. My GC could work on other things and I didn't have to worry that the vanities would come out wiggly, etc. :)

• Sammy
    3 years ago

How are you liking your floors, @Hillside House? They’re beautiful...as is the rest of the kitchen. 😑

Hillside House thanked Sammy
  • Sammy
    3 years ago

@Mittens Cat: Which vanities did you buy? Do you have photos?

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sammy, I LOVE my floor! It was sort of a rash decision... we had already bought (and were in the middle of acclimating) a more traditional floor color, but I kept thinking about this white oak. At the time, I didn’t know anyone that had done something like it, nor had I really seen it online, but I finally decided to just go with it. We returned our other floor and bought this, and I love it just as much today as I did when we put it in 5 years ago!

• Sammy
    3 years ago

That’s awesome! I was surprised to see that it’s still available. Flooring like that usually gets discontinued after a few years so it must be doing well for them to keep making it. Is it easy to clean?

• athleticannie
    3 years ago

Hillside House, can you tell me more about your range good? We have a similar aesthetic and I need to choose my range hood in the next few days. What the dimensions and finishes?

• oppness
    3 years ago

I don't see how there is a risk of dinging a door/ drawer during the handle drilling. Buy a jig. Be smart, setup a good work environment. Mounted to the cabinet or not, shouldn't really matter.

I would never pay someone $5 to drill 2 holes. I drilled over 100 doors without one accident, and apparently saved over $500.

• Mittens Cat
    3 years ago

@Sammy, I did three IKEA Godmorgon wall-mounted vanities (plus a low-budget Fullen in our powder room). One with a Semihandmade walnut veneer front; one with a Semihandmade mahogany front, and one in Godmorgon's high-gloss white. Click here for photos and details.

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sammy, it must be a good seller. They now have it in a couple of other width options, including a mixed-width. Mine was actually discontinued, but replaced with a “II” version, so they must have modified it in some way, but it looks identical. I do find it very forgiving, it’s survived years of my four kids and 2 St Bernards with no issues.

Wentzylvania, it’s basically a box we built to surround the 48” insert. I sketched out what I wanted, proportionately, and we built from there. It’s clad in mdf shiplap (painted the same color as my wall) and white oak. I’m not at home, so I don't have more precise measurements, but I think it would really depend on the size of your insert.

• Christina Callaway
    3 years ago

@oppness my post was referring to hinge cup drilling, not handle drilling. Two VERY different things!! If you are going to reply to someones post with such a smug, troll-like tone, please at least make sure you at least know what you are talking about.

• oppness
    3 years ago

@Christina Callaway the comment still stands. Minus the 'mounted to the cabinet or not' if you want to be technical.

Welcome to the internet, where if you post stuff you're going to find people that provide feedback that you might not like. My comment is perfectly valid and adds value to the thread.

Writing a sentence with multiple '!'s doesn't make your statement any more powerful by the way.

• Cooper
    3 years ago

I'm late to this post by a couple of years, but I'm trying to decide between Barker and Scherrs as well. I plan to do Ikea axstad white on top and natural satin cherry (custom) on bottom. I'm hoping the combo will be good, even with two different makers for the fronts. My budget doesn't allow for all custom and I wish Ikea had a natural wood I liked.

I have a design into Sherrs but haven't heard back on a quote yet. I'd like a quote from Barker, but I'm guessing I have to just put my own things in the cart online to get an idea. Where can I find measurements for the doors, drawers, and corner cabinets for Ikea fronts to order them custom from Barker? Seems like Sherrs does more for you for Ikea fronts (measurements, hinge cups, holes in drawers) but if I can figure out how to do the rest on my own and save a substantial amount of money w/ Barker, I'd like to do that.... So far, the people at Sherrs have been great so I hope the price difference isn't a ton, but from what I've read here, it might be.

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oppness, no, your comment about attaching handles isn’t the same as what Christina is talking about, nor is it relevant or adding value to the thread.

It‘s not nearly as simple as two holes drilled completely through the door, where if you’re off, the handle is maybe a little crooked. They have to be precisely placed and also drilled to the correct depth... off even a tiny bit, and your door/drawer won’t close properly. The hinge placement holes are numerous... there are 6 holes for each, of multiple sizes, and some require special bits.

We did drill ours, but we have a drill press. Even so, it was intimidating, and I’m not totally sure I would do it again.

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Cooper, The IKEA door for Sektion will be 1/8” smaller than what it’s described as: a 10”x30” drawer is actually 9 7/8” by 29 7/8”.

Also, make sure you’re concise with your quote from Scherr’s... their drawers are priced higher than doors, so when I submitted mine for a quote, it was way off because I submitted it wrong. (IKEA and Barker’s pricing is the same for doors/drawers.)

• oppness
    3 years ago

@Hillside House I'm sorry but that's just flat out wrong and simply put, just further spreading bad information.

The concept for both is the same. Get or make a jig, measure twice, drill. What jig and how you measure is the only difference. If you create the correct jig, you can even eliminate measuring from the equation. That makes the job easy when you have a large run to burn through. Hence why I feel $5 is overpriced. I paid $2 for some and found that acceptable i guess.

Hinges or handles, I think most would agree being slightly off or crooked is unacceptable. The difference here is that most modern hinges(your cups you're referring too) all have built in adjustments. If you're off by a tad, you can usually adjust it out. Your handle drilling, not so much. Maybe you could drill a hair bigger and torque it into position and hope the handle doesn't reveal the hole, but I wouldn't reccomend going down that road.

The point is, if you have the correct tools, its not that daunting. I used a combination, but the ~$30 kregs jig combined + $20 blum jig (for your two alignment holes) and hand drill can work just fine. Once you set that up, it truly is brainless. Which it has to be to avoid human error.

And please stop making it sound harder than it has to be. It just further fuels barkers and scherrs profits here. Its two types of holes, the cup and the alignment hole. The cup is the same size across manufacturers. Pretty sure the alignment hole is, but I'd be buying blum anyways. You can buy a jig to drill the cup. Buy another jig to drill the alignment holes. Repeat twice for each door. Done.

• jdesign_gw
    3 years ago

Just to clarify this, both sides are half right. It’s hard and it isn’t hard meaning as stated “with the correct tools it isn’t hard.“ That said the correct tools are not the ones mentioned: There are three holes needed for a Euro-style cup hinge. A 35mm center hole and right and left 8mm holes. These all have to be correct or the hinge won’t go on so adjusting after the fact isn’t a option. The Kreg jig drills one center hole, the drill press drills one hole at a time so both have a lot or room for error. We drill ours with a Blum mini press machine which is over 2k but for one-off or on-site holes we use the Blum eco jig .

This is still 300 dollars or possibly find one in good used condition. The depth and set back also have to be set properly. I guess if you have the skills to assemble and install cabinets which is more difficult then drillIng holes should be something within your capabilities. Just get the correct jig and then maybe sell it when you’re done.

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oppness, feel free to start your own thread with your own experience and opinions. This is the thread I started, sharing my experience, and you don’t get to tell me my experience is “flat out wrong.” And that’s about as kind as I can be... Please move along, before I lose my temper.

This is a valuable thread to many people, that is still clearly relevant two years later, and I’d hate to see it deleted.

• Cooper
    3 years ago

Yes, still very valuable as are all of your posts, pics, etc. I did read somewhere to subtract 1/8 of an inch for each door, but I'm having a hard time locating the size of each individual drawer or door panel on Ikea's website. I see that the 3 drawer boxes are 10 (9 7/8) " each, but where can I find the others such as 2 drawer fronts or corner cabinets?

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Cooper, all of the drawers together will add up to 30” high, and IKEA drawers only come in three heights: 5” (which, as we already said, is really 4 7/8”), 10”, and 15”. So, if its a three-drawer stack, it could be three 10”, or one 5”, one 10”, and one 15”. A two-drawer stack is two 15”.

Now, since you’re doing custom fronts on the bottom of your kitchen, you could actually make them whatever size you want... you’re no longer limited to IKEA’s sizing. If you want to go down that route, send me another PM. ;)

I actually don’t have a corner cabinet in this house, so I don’t know the sizing on that. You should be able to find the info, though... I think if you’re looking at the cabinet on their website, there’s an option when you scroll down to view the individual components that make up the cabinet.

• Stacy Hart
    2 years ago

@Hillside House - Would you be willing to share more photos of your kitchen please?!! I, too, have a sloped, vaulted ceiling, which is SO difficult to find pictures. My kitchen is a single wall with sink in island. The builder only took the kitchen counters half way at about 12' and we'll extend wall-to-wall like you did (total of 23' 5"). I can hardly wait!

I've been dreaming and secretly planning my kitchen remodel for years now and we'll pull the trigger very soon. Ikea with custom doors is my #1 recommendation to my hubby, but he isn't sold quite yet.

I'm really curious to see the other side of your island and a picture that shows the lights hanging from the ceiling! My husband isn't sold on lights hanging down, but I think that is because he can't visualize it. Totally understand it you don't want to share photos or if you're simply too busy. Thanks for considering.

• drinkmorewater
    2 years ago

This is totally late to the party, but we did Barker walnut doors with IKEA cabinets. I DID NOT want to see the 1/8 reveal so ordered doors in 15/16 sizes. It took some adjustment and some mild sanding, but they fight tight and perfect. Seeing a white reveal line between walnut doors would have driven me crazy.

• Ken Chapman
    2 years ago

@drinkmorewater you got to post pics now!

• Tina S
    last year

drinkmorewater So with the measurements that Ikea provides of their doors, there is still going to be a 1/8" reveal? Ive seen many ikea cabinets using doors from other suppliers and Im not seeing a reveal. I'm sure they didn't use Barker either. Maybe when Scherr's gets gets back to me with a quote I can find out from them. I just wanted to order doors and not have to worry about much else. If I get doors and the white cabinets show through, my hubby is going to have a fit as he not really into do the ikea boxes.

• Tina S
    last year

@drinkmorewater Not sure why my post didn't tag you. It wouldn't let me edit it either.

@Stacy Hart Did you ever pull the trigger? My hubby isn't sold yet on Ikea. He keeps wanting to get quotes from a custom cabinet maker. I had a kitchen designed and once I got the design, it was a little weird visualizing it in my house. Now I've gotten used to it and want it installed already. lol

@Hillside House Did do a post on your painting process? What color did you go with? It looks really nice. How it is holding up? I've done my own posts and the feed back isn't great (grumpy judgmental responses). Its almost heartbreaking being told you cant paint your own doors, you're going to screw it up. This when many people have done it themselves and have been successful. Plus being told they didn't understand why some would buy Ikea boxes and use doors from a different company. smh. Because maybe I want to. lol Its just discouraging and makes me not to want to move forward. Love this post and the previous one to it. Very good information and informative.

• Tina S
    last year

@drinkmorewater Thank you very much. This helps. So many people claim they cant see the white boxes, some claim they can. Some state there is a reveal due to door size, but others say no its due to improper installation. Who knows, but if I need it the edge banding seems like the perfect way to go.

• wiscokid
    last year

@Tina S - there is a FB group called "Kitchen Cabinet Painting Experts" - it's an excellent resource!

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

tina, I didn't ever do a post about the painting process, just what I posted in this thread. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Mine have held up perfectly; it’s been almost 5 years now and not a single dent or chip in the paint. We are a family of 6-8 (depending on who’s living here at any given time) with 2 St Bernards. I would not hesitate to paint them myself again. The paint color is BM Moonshine.

I don’t think you can see the white boxes between, but I will snap a couple of photos and you can look for yourself.

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    last year

Here are my kitchen cabinets:

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    last year

And, for comparison, the cabinets in my mudroom, which are considerably darker. Still not visible.

• oppness
    last year
    last modified: last year

@jdesign_gw and anyone else wanting to tackle hinge drilling affordable. While the 3-in-1 Blum drill is great, it's not diy affordable. One extra step, but not bad if you're not doing this everyday. I did this and painted 100+ doors in my house.

For the 35mm bore hole.

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-Tool-Company-KHI-HINGE-Concealed/dp/B01JQ74FMQ/ref=asc_df_B01JQ74FMQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309763090755&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11433647920691291326&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1026411&hvtargid=pla-423472884902&psc=1

For the 8mm alignment hole. This is used after drilling the 35mm hole.

INSERTA Boring Template Blum 65059A

https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/hinge-accessories-inserta-boring-template-0-type-inserta-boring-template.html

Both can be used with a hand drill if desired. No adjusting out errors. That was taken out of context.

• Tina S
    last year

@Hillside House Oh those are nice! I dont see the white ether. I think I may have gotten a color swap of Moonshine. I'll have to look. Very pretty. I have watched other video and such of people painting theirs, but if I have questions I'll reach out. if I ever get to that point. lol

• PRO
    Frank and Frank
    last year

A professional level finish by a DIYer is certainly possible. You must be willing to buy the right professional level tools and materials and practice spraying. Drips, debris, paint boogers, and cracks, are not a professional level finish.

• kallifornia
    last year

I am literally in this exact dilemma!! I am thrilled I've found your post. So, assuming you had the appropriate sized doors from Barker, did you use the ikea slides or barker slides and hinges for the ikea bases? Thank you, Thank you!!

• Hillside House
    Original Author
    last year

I used the Blum hardware from IKEA.

• kallifornia
    last year

Thank you! Gorgeous space, and great post.

Hillside House thanked kallifornia