Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilohomeremodeling

Backsplash end point? Pretty pictures inside!

ILO Home Remodeling Inc.
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Should I run the backsplash under the window? I think it will look cleaner just stopping it at the end of the wall. My wife feels otherwise. You all have given my clients great advice in the past, not it’s my turn as this is my own home. Being the designer and installer is the hardest job! Lol. Don’t mind the mess.

Comments (28)

• annied75
    6 years ago
    Hi -- great looking kitchen! I have to side with your wife. I would want the tile under the window, since the sink is on that wall.
  • PRO
    ILO Home Remodeling Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry, here’s another pic of the kitchen. That sink is the secondary sink. Like I said, don’t mind the mess...

• PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    6 years ago

Yes - tile under the window - the challenge is that the window trim terminates past the counter - how long is the wall that the window is on? I can 't tell from your photos. I would be tempted to tile the entire wall - and terminate/trim the tile a couple inches past the window molding.

• PRO
    ILO Home Remodeling Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey Michelle. That was another dilemma. Lol. I didn’t want to have 2 seams in my counter so I was limited to 120 inches on my counter wall. The window ends a little further then the counter, which makes things a little bit more complicated.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Ok, the extra photos helped - you can take the tile to the corner - and eliminate the strange stopping point where the window/counter top are not aligned.

• PRO
    Shauna Sinay
    6 years ago
    My job is hard surfaces. Yes, backsplash under the window. The bottom line is hard surfaces protect from water damage to the substrate, the bones of your home. If you want it to be uncomplicated just run it up to the window. It can be a minimal return of the counter material or an extension of the tile.
  • PRO
    ILO Home Remodeling Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So, tile the entire wall to the ceiling? To here where my finger is pointed all the way down to the floor?

• sillycannoli
    6 years ago
    Even it is just a prep sink, I think it'd still be best to protect the area behind the sink with a backsplash. Not a designer but I wonder what designers would think of using your counter material as backsplash with height the vertical distance from the counter to the window, just for that wall.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

yes - the whole thing would look amazing! You could either terminate where you are indicating with your finger - or take it all the way to the corner.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Its a sticky wicket with the window offset. You either have to tile the entire wall floor to ceiling and the window sill or do nothing other than maybe paint that wall a silver color.

• PRO
    ILO Home Remodeling Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You’re killing me Michelle. Haha. I guess no pain no gain. The polished white thassos really pops but is really neutral. It would probably look awesome, but I guess I’m going to lose another weekend to the backsplash project if we decided to tile the whole wall.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Its a really nice kitchen. Worth it to finish it off to perfection. How about some slab for the window sill? Any remnants?

• PRO
    ILO Home Remodeling Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Suzy, I didn’t even think of doing the sill with the marble! Unfortunately, we squeezed out every square inch of the 3 bookmarked slabs we purchased to finish the baths and kitchen. My marble guy does have some awesome marble in his place, maybe I can see if we could get a close match. The marble is not really white Carrara, it’s called Bianca Carrara, which is less grainy than a standard Carrara. I’m heading there next week and I will check out some slabs to see if we can get anything that would come close.

• PRO
    6 years ago

If you do the entire wall, I think you will thank us later - it's one of those details that will take the kitchen from beautiful to the next level.

• btydrvn
    6 years ago
    I agree with you....no backsplash....with the possible exception of a short solid matching stone...the length of the counter ....so it looks like a part of the counter...not like a backsplash...Not everyone is comfortable with thinking outside the box....but with the proper care in sealing the area....this is one of the cases where it is warranted....
  • highdesertowl
    6 years ago

Personally, I think that whole wall tiled will be too much, and will detract from the beautiful window and view. It will also create another large section of hard surface for sound to bounce off of, and not in a good way. This is where the 4 inch backsplash excels :)

• OldGrayMare
    6 years ago
    I’m voting for leave well enough alone. It’s something you can easily revisit later. See how you do at the sink keeping that wall dry, but that far right corner is what can throw this all off.
  • Amanda
    6 years ago
    Just an idea,wonderful kitchen by the way!
    ILO Home Remodeling Inc. thanked Amanda
  • PRO
    Live Architects
    6 years ago

How far does your wall go on the right? if not too far, consider running it like a wainscot aligned with bottom of upper straight across. Schluter trim on top edge. Nice classy look btw.

ILO Home Remodeling Inc. thanked Live Architects
  • PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    6 years ago

Turn the corner, however high full tiles extend from countertop to just under the cabinet line then over to and under window only to the end of the lower cabinet. Be done. You'll need a pencil trim to cap the area left of window and for the vertical end on the right. Ignore the end of the window being a bit longer. Not a fan of the full tiled wall in your case. Think it would look too institutional. Nice job!

ILO Home Remodeling Inc. thanked Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    It never looks right to me to have tile stop on a flat wall...it always looks odd ....feels like poor planning ....and will also draw attention to the little oddity of the extension of the window over the counter width...
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    One thing you could do to make the window line up to the cabs would be to remove window trims...as they are the element that appears to extend a little too far....
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    I also note ...none of the sample pics show the tile just stopping mid-wall
  • PRO
    ILO Home Remodeling Inc.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Stopping mid wall? Like under the counter and just run across?

My wife looked at me oddly when I mentioned the whole wall. I think it would look amazing, but will be a lot of work for me. Lol.

At least there’s no consensus, which is good since I don’t feel like there’s no definitive answer.

Heres a pic of whats to the right of the kitchen. Don’t pay attention to the nasty slider, we are tying to figure out where to come up with the 18k to replace it

• btydrvn
    6 years ago
    With added view I still vote for no more tile...you need a little room between the tile and your couch...
    ILO Home Remodeling Inc. thanked btydrvn
  • User
    6 years ago

Add another cabinet to the right of the sink and top it with butcher block. Then the backsplash does just the height of the window all along that wall. No need to take it all the way up.

ILO Home Remodeling Inc. thanked User
  • PRO
    Live Architects
    6 years ago

Can see right side now. So I say either wainscot to jog in wall, turn tile into inside corner if the depth will allow,
    Or,
    stop vertical joint of tile right under sill, align edge with right outside edge of window trim above, not the edge of the sill. let the sill be proud.