Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annediz

Inlaid carpet or Runner on stairs?

annediz
6 years ago

We are getting new engineered hardwood on our entry and I originally wanted to do a runner on our stairs. Here are two Houzz photos to show you what I wanted:

Boston Historical · More Info

We will be doing a white riser and matching hardwood tread with our new flooring in entry. When I showed the picture to my flooring guy (who is very experienced) he suggested that we do the sides in wood, with padding and carpet in the center inlaid. I was concerned that where the carpet meets the wood it would look badly, kind of cheap. He said that the carpet and the wood will be flush and it will look very good. He commented that carpet backing can scratch hardwood. I think he also knows we need to be cost effective. However, I am concerned about how this will look. Has anyone done this? Wood sides, and carpet in the center ? (i.e. not a runner, but actually carpet with padding and not a full tread)

Secondly, we have a quarter round landing. Any thoughts on whether it would be better to continue the hardwood as a trim with the carpet, or let the whole landing be hardwood? I have seen both in pictures on Houzz, but I am wondering if readers have any pros or cons on this?

I COULD NOT get the pictures to upload from either Google photos or my Picasa library, so I am trying to send links of my stairs. Hopefully it works...

BTW, both sides of the stairs are enclosed, so we do not have to replace our railing, etc.

enclosed stairs currently all carpet

stairs will meet the new foyer flooring in hardwood

quarter round landing

Thank you for any advice, and pros and cons from readers...personal photos from someone who has done an inlaid carpet on stairs would be so appreciated!

Thanks, Anne

Comments (18)

• annediz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OOPS, here is the second photo:

entry and stairs...sorry for clutter :(

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

No to your flooring guy really and the down the road you need to then find the exact smae width of runner to inlay again this will v be not on bit cheaper than finishng the treas completely maybe 5 yrs from now you want nice wood stairs with no runner.

• loobab
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You always want a runner!

Wood stairs are slippery, and you do not want a family member or a guest to fall.

Your first picture does not look good, it is the waterfall style.

You should get the hollywood style which not only looks better, it is more appropriate for the kind of carpet you are going to be using.

Please read this and do more reading on the internet, as well.

https://www.colonyrug.com/2014/02/waterfall-vs-hollywood-stair-installation/

https://carpetworkroom.com/2016/03/08/hollywood-vs-waterfall/

Your floor guy is a doofus.

it is even more important to use a pad under a stair runner because of the directed beating the stair runner carpet takes by shoed feet every single day!

That is why you don't use the standard foam padding.

You need a new floor guy! His performance will most probably be as deficient as his knowledge base.

Run, Forrest, run!

• annediz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I read both articles. Thanks, I now know the proper term for the type of installation I want.
  • annediz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    just lol ,...
    I think that is still over the top of the tread but in the Hollywood style....where it is stapled under the rim
  • loobab
    6 years ago

Your first photo is waterfall, not hollywood.

• justlol
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Annediz - Sorry, I think you are right on the link I posted. I had a staircase that looked similar to that in my last house, but it was inlaid carpet. The treads were wood on each side with padding and carpet down the middle. If I can find a picture of my old staircase, I will try to post it for you to see.

• annediz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, that would be so helpful...

• annediz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is a picture i found

Eagle Bay Beach House · More Info
    and...
    Serene Family Home · More Info
    I would have white riser and wood edges on the tread...

Do you still think my carpet guy is crazy? :) More comments, please

• loobab
    6 years ago
    Why ever would you want to inlay the carpet into the wood?
    That looks really odd, and furthermore, you are permanently damaging the wood of your stairs.
    In whose house have you ever seen this and in what magazine did you ever see this recommended?
    If for some reason the next buyer of your house doesn’t want a runner they are stuck with a carved out stairway and would have to replace all the wood on the stairs and no way would they want to take that on!!
  • Joe
    6 years ago

Get beautifully finished treads and call it a day. I slipped all the time on my carpeted stairs but once I refinished the wood and left them bare, I never tripped again. The inlay thing is "interesting" but may prove a giant hassle when you go to replace that carpet in the future.

• annediz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    thanks everyone. I n answer to one person... I currently have all carpet on the stairs. I would like a full tread with runner but that would be about 2 thousand more dollars. Appreciated comments and pics.
  • tqtqtbw
    6 years ago

Do classic wood full treads. I can see having to make do with existing inlayed treads but I would never intentionally do that to my house.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Don't inlay the carpet for a traditional home.

• ptreckel
    6 years ago
    If you look carefully at some of the inlaid carpet photos that have been posted above as “examples”, the sharp edge of the wood is evident as the carpet is worn or sags. No. Full width wooden treads.
  • teresale2013
    6 years ago

I agree --do the full wood with the runners.

Inlaid carpet will never look right.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia