Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bribosh

tile opinions: whole wall vs strip

Bri Bosh
6 years ago
Hi everyone, finally made a decision on our basement bathroom tile (floor will be hex, shower curb white quartz, shower white subway and an accent wall in the shower of blue glass). My question is, Would it be better to have the entire accent wall of the shower be the glass tiles laid horizontally, or should we do white subway tile with a strip of the glass tile running vertically up and down the center? I’ve included a picture of the shower for a visual (couldn’t get the tiles to look like they’re running vertically in design though so it’s not quite right). Thanks in advance!
whole wall
strip

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

All I see are hundreds of grout lines to clean. I like one vertical stripe making sure it shows when the doors are installed.

• Bri Bosh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Patricia. This will be a rarely used bathroom, as we won’t have guests all that often, but I agree with you on the grout lines. The shower door walls will be frameless glass so the design will show no matter where it is. Do you think that we would be wise to choose a larger tile for the bathroom floor? We used the maipei flexcolor CQ grout in our laundry room and upstairs powder and have been very happy with It, I know it’s not a miracle product but it definitely doesn’t seem to stain as easily as traditional grout. We did look at a 6 inch hex tile for the floor versus a 2 inch. We could also look at the 12 x 24 tiles. I would welcome your opinion! Thank you in advance.
  • loobab
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

An entire accent wall might be a bit too much. What about just a niche for soap and shampoo with accent tile something like these? Or the niche plus a vertical stripe running the length of the shower through the middle of the niche or a horizontal band across the top?

These patterns will give you harmony throughout your shower because their shape is harmonious with your floor and the color is harmonious with the floor and the wall.

Is that hex tile honed marble?

"Honed and polished stone tile can be slippery when wet, so choose stone that has a textured, skid-resistant surface. "

https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/bathroom-laundry/smart-options-bathroom-flooring/

• Bri Bosh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It’s actually porcelain... We did have a discussion with our tiler about it. He was mentioning that we might want to consider doing real marble instead because it would be thicker. I was leaning more toward porcelain for the low maintenance aspect! Am I missing something? Is marble preferable?
  • Bri Bosh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks loobab! I like the idea of running it through the niche and up and down from there. We do have a niche on that wall, so that would work well!
  • jck910
    6 years ago

If its rarely used don't waste time and money on a strip. And as Patricia said placement of it with either a rod or door is imperative so it can be seen

• loobab
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Briana-

You are so welcome!

And please do check out the finish on the floor hex tiles, the last thing you want is your guests falling in the shower!

Marble isn't necessarily preferable on the floor, because it contains iron, and the constant water on thick veins may make it discolor.

You can get porcelain tiles with traction and slip-resistance that meet the standards set by the ADA.

Be sure to buy extra in case some crack ( a good idea for all products) and then you can replace just the cracked tiles and not the whole floor.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

No glass tile accent with the hexagons or subway tile..they are beautiful and classic on their own...paint your walls a soft blue.....

• Jennifer K
    6 years ago

whether you do strip or whole wall, I'd orient the accent tiles vertically. They are kind of a watery colour and water flows downhill.

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    6 years ago

Vertically and perhaps behind the showerhead.. would give it a great "waterfall" look like Jennifer K mentioned.

• PRO
    NewLinkz
    6 years ago

Quality wall tiles that look great don’t have to cost a lot.
    You can do it yourself with mesh mounted or peel & stick adhesive tiles.
    Here are some examples https://www.houzz.com/projects/1509556/wow-tiles-bold-unique-elegant

• Emily McCloy
    5 years ago

I saw a bathroom out there with white subway tile and a matte black hex tile full accent wall and it was really nice. If that is the only focal point, go for it! But if you have other competing elements in the bath I like the idea of only using it in a shower niche.

• Gerry
    5 years ago
    Very nice, Briana. Your guests will love it.
  • Brenda
    5 years ago

Hi Bri, nice job! Can I get the details on the floor tile? Thanks!!

• loobab
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Beautiful, I love the clean lines. You did right by not using a different color in the niche, it is much more relaxing the way you have it.

I also love that there is no messing with any shower curtains or doors.

How wide an area did you give the base of the shower so that you are not worried about splashing outside?