coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

Rosy glow: The sunrise of spring, the sunset of fall.

The sunrise of spring, the sunset of fall. Both give a rosy glow to the light.

Welcome rose friends to the new seasonal thread!

Today is the equinox, when the length of night and day are nearly equal all over the planet. It’s a nice feeling to have this in common with our rose friends all over the world.

Spring reminds me of a sunrise, glowing with the full potential of a beautiful day. In the Northern Hemisphere this potential is what we now feel, looking forward to what’s to come. Fall reminds me of a gorgeous sunset, the celebration of a day well spent. In the Southern Hemisphere I hope you all enjoy this beautiful “golden hour” of a season.

I have been playing with photography, so here is an overlay photo, combining a sunrise, sunset and beloved roses. I hope you enjoy my artistic expression of this day and this season. :-)

Let’s kick off a wonderful new season!

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Cori Ann what an irresistible thread you have started, you are so thoughtful with your words. Beautiful Rhodie too, I wish I could grow it.

Diane,

All spring I stuff my car with manure, compost and mulch, too. Last week at the feed store the young lady told me ‘No more compost for you!’ Lol, I guess she had seen me too often

Carol,

You are always so upbeat in spite of your health worries, glad you got some good news.

Justin,

So sorry about your Kitty, I’m sure she had a great life under your care

Seil and Dianela

It’s not spring unless there are bulbs blooming, love them.

Jim, Vaporvac, Kentucky Rose

Hope you all thaw out soon.

Lisa,

Beautiful sweet peas, bet they smell nice too

FN,

Aussie Froggies are so pretty!

SJN

Love the seed packets , I always buy too many and forget to sow them

My roses look very promising this season, but no flowers just yet...I can’t wait. But I do have some nice spring shrubs to keep me entertained.

Winter Honeysuckle, Lonicera Fragrantissma, Sweet Breath of Spring: One plant, three really appropriate names, I can smell it from across the yard.

Quince decided that brown and gray winter much come to an end:

This Dwarf redbud flowers anywhere it can, even the trunk and exposed roots will have flowers

Forsythia

Love weeping trees, this flowering peach is only 7 ft high, but 18 ft wide

Oh, pardon the bags of mulch, it was Lowes Black Friday.

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
    Best Answer
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Deborah, absolutely you will love it. Mine do best in mostly shade or diffused sunlight. They aren't very tall. They have the sweetest purple flowers

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Cori Ann -- I can't seem to get delphiniums to work in the garden, either. Even if I'm diligent about the snails/slugs, for some reason they peter out. So this year I got Cobalt Dreams and Cliveden Beauty and put them both in big pots. So now I'm getting these gorgeous blooms -- though not in the ground. I'm thinking that in fall I might try moving them into the ground. I figure that even if I lose them, I had a glorious season with them. And, who knows -- maybe having a big root ball will help them become perennials in the actual garden? I just got back from taking the dog for his nightly constitutional, and found about 8 full size snails munching away on things, took out a phacelia at the base that was blooming gloriously just today -- and they were hollowing out the base of the tidy tip, too. The freaks come out at night. (Jim, this is your cue to load some clip or photo). Oh that reminds me! Jim, I took a photo of my marigold just for you. I must find it.

Speaking of photos -- I saw Cori Ann's photos earlier, but now they're gone. Mine are back. What is up with photos on this forum lately?

Kristine -- I may plant the tradescantia next to a white rose in partial shade, near a ribes viburnifolium.

A Marigold for Jim.

And my "fish pond" -- though with the reflection you can't really see the fish! Or they're all in the enchanted tiki room...eating Dole Pineapple Whips...

And, here are some salvias with the calylophus (dwarf sundrops). Don't look at the weeds I have to pull between the flagstones.

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy thanked Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)
  • Lisa Adams

Oh, these pictures! Just amazing! I love and want them all! I’m too tired to comment individually on each one, but I enjoyed every one of them! I must say that Deborah and I grow many of the same plants!

I’m still recuperating from Sarah’s visit. We planted, weeded, and cut lots of blooms. Here’s what my kitchen counter looked like before we did any arrangements.

This is the arrangement with Mme Alfred Carriere.

The arrangement we made together using Mme Alfred Carriere, Italian Ranunculus, · More Info

There were some really nice stems of Irish Creme. I didn’t get the best picture, though.

I sent her home with tons of cut flowers.

‘scuse my silly feet:) Lisa

• Lisa Adams

Deborah, I see my pictures, but not yours. How odd! Do you see yours, and not mine? Lisa

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Lisa, I don't see any of yours. I see 3/4 in my earlier post, and none in my latest post. Is Mercury in retrograde? Are aliens interfering? Are we being persecuted?

• rosecanadian

Deborah - too bad about the gopher casualty...it's like under the earth sharks....you can't see them until they're biting your ankles. Blech. Yeah, I can see that White Licorice (why wasn't it called Yellow Licorice??) would look odd between two really white roses. I love the fragrance! So glad I got it! I love your delphinium --- so very blue!! Yes, we get Austins...why do you ask? :) That's a great idea to grow delphinium in pots...then you can move them into the shade if it gets too hot. Yuck!!! Big, huge snails!! Ewwww!!!

Cori Ann - Madame Anisette sounds like an amazing rose! Wish I could smell it!! :) I couldn't see any of your pictures. Darn this is annoying! :)

Svetlanda - yes, that's right...you did say it was a Cavalier KCS. Yes, you look young! And you're way younger than I am. :)

My husband and I (mostly him) potted up 8 roses today. So nice to have roses to smell...only 2 so far...but I'd have no roses for so long if I hadn't bought these new roses. :)

Good thing my hubby's home for about a week...he can wheel all the roses in/out of the garage. Maybe by the time he goes back, the overnight temps will permit the roses to stay outside at night. :)

CArol

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy thanked rosecanadian
  • Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

The photos seem to show up after a delay, at least for me they do. It’s just a weird Houzz/Gardenweb temporary photo thing probably. Can you all see the photos now?

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Thanks for the tip about Larkspur Fragrancenutter. I was thinking of trying a few seeds next year. Messy though... hmmmm... it’s never fun to have a bouquet give me chores!

Deborah I love every photo of the garden around your flagstone pathway.

Lisa at least your socks match! Great photos of your bouquet party. ;-)

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

I can now see Cori Ann's photos, but not Lisa's. And can't see mine, either. Very strange. CA - your photos are just gorgeous (except for poor sunburnt flowers).

Carol - I asked about DAs because you say you want to get your hands on a Boscobel, so thought maybe there was something/one stopping you!

Is there a trick to keeping the DAs from falling apart in the vase? My floribundas and HTs can last for several days inside, but my DAs seem to wilt within a day and a half. This is why I keep them in the garden, not in the house! This year I have so many nodding over and/or getting buffetted by the crazy winds. I feel like I'm "saving" them, except I'm not. I'm really dooming them to an early demise.

Lady of Shalott is almost ready to burst into bloom. And my those canes are loooong. Except now they've kind of spread and are no longer straight up/down. Can't wait to see this color people rave about and then claim can't possibly be captured by the camera!

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Oh Deborah! I meant to tell you that I made the Coq au Vin with chicken thighs in the slow cooker as you recommended. OH MY GOD it was so good! And easy! Photo... maybe it shows?

It’s not a particularly pretty dish, but SoooOOoooo good! I followed this recipe kind of, just didn’t use powdered beefy onion soup mix, I used some condensed beef broth and French onion soup mixed in with the wine instead and added some Herb de Provence and extra garlic. I also browned the veggies in the same pan after I browned the chicken (for extra flavor). So a few extra ingredients and one extra step. https://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/slow-cooker-coq-au-vin/

With all the extra moisture from the extra liquids I added, everything was so tender it just melted in my mouth. Thank you for the great idea! I usually shy away from French recipes. This one is a keeper!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Deborah, another beautiful salvia.

My sister who lives a few miles from me has had to resort to putting her delphiniums in pots because of the slugs .I have had no problems with them but I know I have slugs because they're going after my hostas like crazy. But, I've just been fortunate that the slugs have left my delphiniums alone.

I'm going to the growers market today . There should be all kinds of fun things that you don't normally find at your regular stores. No telling what I'm gonna come home with . I put a little money aside to bring home a few treats .

This last fall I did not pull any of my alyssum up I let it just dry and then shook out all of the seeds and boy do I have lots and lots of alyssum coming up so I won't need to buy very many new replacements. I use a allysum everywhere as a ground cover because it stays short it keeps the weeds down and it looks pretty clear into the fall and boy is it a cheap fix.

A few favorite Delphiniums. Some of them seem to return year after year and a few of the specialty one seem like they're 1 and done

ok, now I' just bragging lol

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Kristine keep it up! They’re gorgeous shades of blue and something many of us can’t grow, so yours are a real treat!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I may even bring home a couple more new ones to day. The white ones only seemed to be an annual they don't come back so I usually grab a couple of white ones to fill in.

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Kristine I look forward to seeing what you got!

Uh oh. Annie’s Annual lovers in zones 9 and above, they just emailed me a plant I have coveted for a while is now available. You may all be tempted by it too if you’re seduced by the dark.

Lotus jacobaeus

“Black-Flowered Lotus.” Low water. Deborah and Lisa, I think you both should grow this!

I wasn’t planning a trip to that area. I wasn’t planning on shopping. I’m done planting this season except for my seeds. Darn. Decisions. Decisions.

http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=3783

• Dani D

Nothing spectacular but pics from today.

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy thanked Dani D
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Cori Ann and everyone, I miss all of you, but I've kept up on reading this thread, and admiring your inspiring and beautiful photos. I need to get outside to work, but I must mention something about the photo problem. We had this a year or so ago on the seasonal thread with the eventual result of no one's photos showing up. We had to start a new thread, and all was fine then. I think there is some kind of limit to the pixels we can post on any given thread. I don't word this correctly, I know. But the problem will get worse, I'm sure, before summer arrives for a summer thread, darn it. See you later--have a bazillion snapdragons to plant, plus others, including a new penstemon--I was looking for Proven winners new improvement on Husker Red. It's called Midnight Masquerade. Edwards was plum sold out, blast it. It is gorgeous in photos. Check out Jump for Joy, guys. It's a fabulous plant. Also (Ben grows it), Celestial Night which is in limited availability and $. Spring Hill can't ship to Idaho, !@#$%, and they have it. CN is an offspring of Ebb Tide. No photos of it on HMF. Diane

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • rosecanadian

Oh Lisa!!! - what a huge amount of glorious blooms!!! Ahhh!! The beauty!!!! Thank you!!

Cori Ann !!! - stunning, absolutely amazing roses!!! I am in awe!!! Drool squared!! So nice that you have some delicious food that you can actually eat!! YUM!! It sounds yummy!

Deborah...oh yes, I see! There is one place in Edmonton that has Austin roses (got Charles Darwin) and one place here in Calgary (but their roses aren't out yet)...so I'm hoping I can find Boscobel at that place. :)

Carol

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

I miss you too Diane. A LOT! I figured you were busy, busy, busy now that your snow has melted! I can’t wait to see your snapdragons since something here ate all my seedlings.

I remember the issue with the photos from a few seasons ago. Good memory. I think now it’s not just this thread though. I noticed it’s Houzz-wide on all the threads. The photos eventually show up, there’s just a delay for some of them. They’re probably switching servers, upgrading servers, etc.

Good idea though! If it becomes more of a problem on this specific thread we will start a new one. :-)

Thanks so much Carol. Drool squared. That’s funny. :-)

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Deborah wrote,

"Lisa, I don't see any of yours. I see 3/4 in my earlier post, and none in my latest post. Is Mercury in retrograde? Are aliens interfering? Are we being persecuted?"

Gave me a good chuckle...lol @ Deborah!

Great roses/flower pics everyone!

Awesome doggie pics Svetlana!

Carefree Celebration from last year:

Hummingbird shot from last year:

• garden nut z9b

The first bloom on first crush, I got it on clearance last fall so it’s slowly looking better
    Madame anisette, I got this one on clearance last season. the blooms on this rose remind me of bourbons and the fragrance is nice. Overall the parfuma roses seem to be good roses

• titian1 10b Sydney

I can't see any of the recent photos, but have been able to see all up till today.

Deborah, I have that purple tradescantia. It came with the garden. I have mixed feelings about it. It's pretty in a sort of pre-historic way, and I've found it impossible to get rid of. I was just thinking yesterday, that there must be a way of displaying it to its full advantage, but I haven't come up with it yet. How do you use it, Kristine? The colour is certainly spectacular. Also where I dropped a piece, and didn't notice (from a terrace to a lower one, and behind Spartan pines), it's rooted. It's wedged itself between a crack in the cement, and is widening it I think! I pull out as much as I can, have even used undiluted glysophate, but still it keeps going.

As for slugs, they were munching on my daylilies. As they only did it at night, I thought I'd try solar lights next to them. It has worked 99% of the time.

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Titian, I don't remember mine spreading. I had 2 of them. I had a really pretty one with lime green foliage and lavender flowers . I had the planted in with lamium and other shade plants. Hum, if they were spreaders I would be a little bit hesitant to plant them. maybe put it in a pot and see if you like it.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Well my sister and I had a great time at the growers market today, beautiful perfect weather, everybody was out enjoying the sunshine. What did I come home with? 4 more salvias, lavendet delphium , 5 geraniums, alyssum, begonia , cup and saucer plant, penstimon, 3 fuchia and an anemone. Quite a haul. Now I have to find places for everything .

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Yes photos come and go for me here...gee...Get it together Houzz...lol

• rosecanadian

Kristine - I've always wanted a cup and saucer plant...but we're too cold. It's funny how people in cold zones want the tender plants...and people in warm zones...want the cold zone plants like peonies, et.c :)

I agree, Jim...come on...how hard is it to load a few pictures.

Carol

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Ok I had to look up purple tradescantia. It’s a bit weird isn’t it? I like how you described it Trish. Pretty in a prehistoric kind of way. The foliage gives a lot of visual interest. I bet it looks great in all of your gardens.

I hope someone here buys and grows that little black lotus (not a water lotus, a different kind of lotus). I decided I just can’t drive out there or plant anything else. I looked at my gardening to do list and decided I have way too much to do still since I have to add more drip lines and still have a bunch of rock to move (booo).

Tonight, though, I’m doing nothing the rest of the evening. Doc said I can have a glass of wine now (yay!) so that’s what I’m doing before watching the Sharks/Knights hockey playoff game. Those are the only things on my to do list this evening! Checking one off. Go Sharks!!!! Real fans have teal nails and are missing at least one tooth...

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Cori Ann -- I tried that black lotus a couple of years ago, and it died on me. So I won't be trying it again. But it does seem like a cool plant if it works for you. On the other hand, I just placed an Annie's order last night because I saw they ahve the Chantilly Snapdragons (peach?) back in stock, so I went for it. That and the Cantua Hot Pants! I love love love your photos of your roses. The Summer Romance in a bucket is like looking at professional photos of professional bouquets. So gorgeous.

Kristine -- so glad you got a nice haul! I always get excited envisioning my future garden,and then comes the hard work of actually making space and planting. That's not my favorite bit. Still, better than weeding! Right now my annuals are going crazy and everything is so full I can't really get to the weeds, so will have to make peace with some weeds in the Rose Cottage Garden. Sigh.

Lisa -- where do you live? Can I come live in your garden for a day? I want to absorb the beauty!!! The pictures you posted finally showed up for me. Oh my goodness. Such loveliness.

Diane -- so good to hear your voice!

Carol - keeping fingers crossed you get your Boscobel. She is already re-blooming for me and I'm just happy as a clam.

In other news -- my Lady of Shalott is starting to bloom!

Re Photos -- While Lisa's finally loaded for me, those are the last photos I can see (and mine are still missing a few). Anyone else who mentions photos after Lisa in her stockinged feet -- just not there on my end. Argh! So annoying!!!!

I'm going to post something here just to see if anyone can see it.

Gorgeous Carrizzo Plains National Monument -- let's hope the newly approved oil drilling doesn't wreck it. This was wildflower season last year.

And when my first Shetland Sheepdog, Traveler, was given a haircut after I'd asked them to kind of "even up" where I'd tried to trim...and this is how he came home. I was speechless. The gal tried to say it was a "lion cut." My husband said, "That's a butt cut!"

• fragrancenutter

Some pictures have just appeared from some of the earlier posts which I couldn't see pictures before. But there are later posts that read as if there should be pictures attached but I see no pictures.

• fragrancenutter

Cori Ann, how are your sweet peas looking this Spring? I haven't seen that many so far...

• Lisa Adams

Oh oh, I planted three of the lime green tradescantia. They’re looking very healthy. I wonder if this was a mistake? Lisa

• Lisa Adams

Fragrance, it’s dark now, but I took a picture of a clump of some of my sweet peas today. These have been blooming since late January. They’re get a bit out of control. Actually, everything there is. Lol Lisa

• fragrancenutter

Lisa I don't see any photos in your post....

I think Houzz is playing up again... :(

Wow Late Jan Sweet peas? So extra early! When did you plant the seeds?

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Fragrance my sweet peas are just starting to bloom, but unfortunately more than half of my sweet peas were sited in an area with too much sun and heat. They are dying before they bloom due to the heat and sun. :-(

The other ones with the bottom area In the shade are doing well and beginning to bloom. I think I would have to start plants under lights indoors to get them to bloom earlier, but maybe that wouldn’t even work because the more mature plants (I bought already started) are just barely starting to bloom the same time my own seeds are starting to bloom. I think here maybe it’s challenging for them because by the time we have enough hours of light for them, we also have waves of intense heat. When it is cooler and more mild in heat, there isn’t enough light. Sited with protection from the sun for the bottom half, but the top half in sun, seems to be the best here. Sited with just eastern exposure seems to work ok too. Western exposure is too much for them.

:-(

Can you all see the photos in other threads or is that intermittent too? I can see all the the photos now in this thread, but they were intermittent before. In other threads they’re also appearing and disappearing for me. I notified Houzz. Anyone else?

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

You can let houzz know about the problem by submitting a request here... https://help.houzz.com/s/app-support?language=en_GB

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Lisa, I loved the lime green Tradescontia. The color really brightened up my shady area.

I never noticed that mine spread maybe it's a different variety that does but the lime green ones just seem to stay right in their little spot.

Speaking of spreading my Guard plant must have put out 1000 seeds that all took . I spent quite some time getting those all cleared out so I didn't have thousands of Gaura plants everywhere.

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Hmm. I have never noticed any guara seedlings from mine. But I cut mine down to the ground in fall when they look scraggly and there’s mulch all around it. Could be why?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Cori Ann, that could be exactly why. I just cut mine back in February and by that time there was a thatch of Guara seeds. I must have pulled out a 2 by 2² of just solid seedlings. This is its 3rd year and the first time that it so freely reseeded.

I watched a program this Winter called the Messy Gardener and she said she just leaves everything in the garden to reseed. So , I tried that this year and boy was I surprised at the number of things that reseeded themselves but I wasn't prepared for the Guara to take over. Maybe I will pot a few up and give them away.

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Here is a photo (maybe?) of all the sweet pea blooms I have so far (with about a dozen Princess Charlene de Monaco).

Not even a 1/8 of what Lisa has... and I had over 100 sweet pea vines cordon trained! Out of those 100 I will end up with less than 50 after this week... maybe closer to 40 due to the heat casualties. We are supposed to be 70s and 80s the next few days so that will help. I still even have a few seedlings that I started late, so I am hard pressed to find a place to put them where they might do well at this point.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I see no photo of sweet peas Cori Ann! :-/ Where's the sweet peas....LOL

I'll write to Houzz also...

Trying to contact Houzz but link will not let me...:-/

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Click on the link below Jim. Should work.... https://help.houzz.com/s/app-support?language=en_GB

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Is anyone else having problems posting/seeing photos intermittently in other threads too, like me?

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

I’m only having troubles seeing photos in this seasonal thread.

If this doesn’t resolve soon, maybe we need to take Diane’s advice and start a new thread? It seems in our enthusiasm to to display all the wonder of spring, we’ve burned out some photo related limit in Houzz :(

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I used your link above Cori Ann... But I'm using google chrome on a regular computer and there was no selection for that...lol...So I had to select ipad...lol...

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

If the link still doesn’t work for you, you can also email Houzz support directly. I did that too. It’s not *just* an “app” issue, but I emailed “app support” because the email address was easier to find and I’m figuring it will get to the right place since it’s an app and website problem. Email address: appsupport@houzz.com

Here’s what I emailed. Feel free to copy and paste if you want to make it easy, or put it in your own words. :-)

—-

Hello. Photos I am posting, and other members are posting, are showing up and disappearing intermittently on the app AND ALSO on the website (from any computer, phone or mobile device). I have noticed this is happening on multiple threads throughout several of the gardenweb forums. Are you upgrading photo servers? When will the problem be fixed?

—-

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Yes this has happened before when a seasonal thread got to big so we had to do a new part 2 thread...But this problem is happening in other threads also for me...

Ok thanks Cori Ann!

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Hmmm. Am I the only one having trouble seeing photos intermittently in other threads too?

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

For me it’s happening on all the forums I visit. Antique Roses, Roses, Azaleas and Rhododendrons, California Gardening, Citrus Growers, Avocado Growers, etc.

All the photos seem to be visible to me at the current moment though.

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Just to be proactive, here’s another thread. Rosy Glow PART TWO. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5274266/m=23/rosy-glow-seasonal-thread-part-two

See you all over there!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

yes happening in other threads for me also cori ann...

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy thanked jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Hi all, only on this thread has there been a photo problem for me, but I haven't checked the situation out on other threads yet today. I use Firefox as a browser. I think starting a part 2 thread is a wise choice, Cori Ann. Meanwhile, I have Granddaughter birthday obligations--I haven't even wrapped her gifts yet. Good luck everyone with the new thread. I hope to be back late tonight. Diane

Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 12x Best of Houzz Winner!