Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiekat2739

Hoping I'm not too late to start indoors!

katiekat2739
6 years ago

Hey everyone, I hope your plants are growing nicely! Mine, well, I haven't started! I messed up and forgot to order my seeds online this year, as life got in the way. So I shrugged it off and decided to go to my nursery to purchase some. This was back in February. Well, they didn't have any. Of any kind of tomato. So I went back a week later. Nothing. Again, a week later. Nothing.

Finally, YESTERDAY, March 26, I was able to find tomato seeds. Not really the kind I wanted, but at least they were something. Is it too late to start indoors? I'm in Ohio, zone 6a. Or should I forget about the seeds and buy plants later in the spring?

It's still very cold here, and we are supposed to get more snow. Obviously that wouldn't affect indoor seeds. But is it worth it to even start? Or just wait?

Thanks for the advice!

Comments (11)

• Labradors
    6 years ago

The question is, when would you normally plant them out? If it's 6-8 weeks from now, you are all set growing them from seed :).

Linda

• hazeldazel
    6 years ago

I usually start seed one month before the average last frost date. Some quick Googling for SE Ohio looks like your average last frost date is ~May 20th. So start seed around April 20th and you should be good.

• Labradors
    6 years ago

Most people start their seedlings 6-8 weeks before plant-out so starting seeds now would be perfect!

Linda

• beesneeds
    6 years ago

What was the seed and what is it's DTM? Tomatoes can range from around 50-55 days upwards to 90 days DTM depending on the variety.

If you picked out seed that is closer to the 90 day DTM, it might be a bit too late this year for you to start the seed and still get a nice crop before the frosts hit in the fall. If you picked something with a shorter DTM, you are probably just in the right timing to start seeds now for this year.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    6 years ago

You should be fine. I just started mine 11 days ago and they were all up in three to seven days.

• Kansas Farm Girl - Shell - South of KC
    6 years ago

I'm in 6A and I've started seeds the last 2 weekends. You should be fine. You've probably got around 5 months of season after plant out. My assumption is your first frost is early to mid October.

Shell

• katiekat2739
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I started them last night indoors so fingers crossed I have a nice growing season!

• stevie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

this season it looks like spring is arriving much later. last year i planted out April 10th and the forecast for next week is still in the 40s. so it looks like at least another month or so before many of us can plant out (zone 6-7).

• Mokinu
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

daninthedirt, I've found that tomatoes transplanted before it gets too hot in my area seem to do better, too. I live in the north, however, but the summers are still extremely hot (I know not all northern areas are like that, though, but there are at least a few). I've found that the opposite seems to be the case for watermelon, though: they seem to appreciate a later transplant than tomatoes, even if they have protection (which surprised me a little). The earlier spring weather seems to stunt their growth somewhat, and cause other issues (plus, the survival rates don't seem as great).

But yeah, I also agree that it's not too late to seed tomatoes. I probably live in a lower hardiness zone than the katiekat2739, and I still did fine seeding tomatoes in my unheated greenhouse in early April, last year (although I tend to think March is better for the greenhouse).

Seeding indoor tomatoes should be fine to do right now. If you have growlights, you're even better off (they can grow really fast with growlights, especially if they're close to them).

• Mokinu
    6 years ago

katiekat2739 What kinds were you hoping to find?